Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #21
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
I, for one, welcome our new TV overlords.
I had been a devout follower for a couple decades now.

My TV was God. My remote was Jesus. My TV guide with a new testament every week was my bible.

Now that there is no more TV guide i am questioning my whole decision.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #22
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I had been a devout follower for a couple decades now.

My TV was God. My remote was Jesus. My TV guide with a new testament every week was my bible.

Now that there is no more TV guide i am questioning my whole decision.
You're supposed to let Jesus take the wheel, not the remote.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #23
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm a little annoyed there are not more "SMART TV's" out there with camera's on them and video messaging services.

I want my damn Star Trek viewscreen dammit!
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #24
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

As I've been shopping I've found that it is pretty hard to get a 4k that isn't a smart TV.

I am not saying I am going to buy 4k, just what I have seen so far looking around.

Am I paying extra for a feature (smart tv) that I don't want then?
Old 01-09-2017, 03:46 PM   #25
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I warn people against buying a smart TV when I am asked for TV advice.

Smart TV functionality is nice, but most of the manufacturers put out one TV and then never update it or keep the security patches coming. TV manufacturers are working on such a thin margin today they don't have the incentive to keep it all up to date, they'd rather you just bought a new TV instead.

Plus, as has been mentioned a lot of the TV manufacturers don't do a great job with their interfaces.

I suggest people who want to add "smart feature to their TV do so using a Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, Kodi or other such device that is designed just for that. It gives you better flexibility, longer lifespan, and usually a better product that'll last longer too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #26
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
I'm a little annoyed there are not more "SMART TV's" out there with camera's on them and video messaging services.

I want my damn Star Trek viewscreen dammit!
I wouldn't want my PC to have conferencing software in it. Plug in a webcam and a mini PC to the TV and you could have just what you're looking for.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #27
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

My TV has had 4 updates since I bought it ~6 months ago.

I'm assuming support will stop eventually, but if it works what more can I really expect? They already patched in Dolby Vision, everything else seems tangential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #28
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'm not sure how many updates my tv has had, but specifically the google android platform gets updates some what regularly. I know that I got an HDR update from sony as well, and I have seen some menus change too, but just minor ones. I would say that I have also had Netflix updates, but nothing major. I have a notification on my menu that I should expect a major software update after January 1 for my tv as well. My TV is 14 months old although it is a 2015 Sony 65X850C (from Costco). I have bought LG for years (I liked the price vs performance), but my last two personal choices were Sony and if I was in the market for a new one, I would look at Sony first again. I know that there can be a premium for a sony; perhaps this is where they fund the ongoing application support. I also notice that we have stopped talking about refresh rates but for me, avoid 60 and get native 120 if you can.

I mentioned earlier that I only use Netflix and youtube when it comes to apps, and I use the built in Wi-Fi to access my home network and therefore the internet. My sony came with two remotes; one uses google voice recognition and everyone uses that to watch youtube videos. it works really well. make sure to check out the remotes when you buy, unless you plan on using a harmony or similar. I know that you mentioned that you don't game, but I use an xbox as a media extender on my "dumb" tv.

Size of TV for the location and your seating position also matter a lot. to me, that is one of the first things that you should narrow down so that you don't go crazy with every specific deal out there. Once you know the size, I would check on the brand and see when the model year changes. It is CES in January so you may find great deals as the model year changes for your specific brand throughout the year.

a site I meant to mention is rtings.com, and avsforum.com when you start to narrow your choices down. I will add that there is great passion on the avsforum site, however I also found perfectionists. A properly chosen device (especially size), with appropriate settings, and a recognition of the price vs performance variable, and I think that you will be happy.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.

Last edited by McG; 01-10-2017 at 09:49 AM.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #29
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Discovered Universal Media Server yesterday. Free program, installed on my PC in 3 minutes.

http://www.universalmediaserver.com/

Picked up my PS4 and my 5 year old TV instantly with no configuration required.

Now I can easily browse and play videos that are stored on my PC and network shares at the full speed of my internal network at lossless quality (Blu Ray level stuff). I don't think I need anything else but it would be nice if PS4 put out an Amazon Prime Video and Emby app for Canada.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote