Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2016, 11:47 AM   #41
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a heads up for HBO Now hopefuls, there's an easy way to get it working. I have my US DNS servers configured on my router, so every device of mine is 'unblocked'.

Note that HBO Now and HBO GO are two different offerings. HBO GO is a free service that requires a US cable subscription through which you've subscribed to HBO. HBO Now can be subscribed for independently of a cable subscription.

Download the Bluestacks Android emulator, sideload the HBO Now APK (you can find APK sites all over the web), and add your PayPal account to Google Wallet. Then have HBO Now use Google Wallet to pay for the monthly subscription.

Obviously you don't want to use Bluestacks to watch HBO Now, but on any device that is using your US DNS servers, it'll be able to sign in and stream HBO Now.

Device setup:
- Samsung Smart TVs have a way to change their Tizen App Store region, follow these steps: Unlocator instructions. Note that you can't have both Canadian and US apps installed at the same time, frankly I didn't care as the Canadian store was a barren wasteland, and the US store has Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Now (and NBC Sports), so I'm happy. I did this on my 2016 Samsung KS8500 and it works flawlessly.

- If you have an Xbox One, change your system region to the US, restart the console when prompted, and download the app from the store, then change your region back, one more restart, and you're done. Easy as hell.

- For Android devices, either side-load the APK (you'll have to keep it updated manually) or use a US-based Google Play account. Android is probably the most annoying if you want it automatically kept up-to-date, so just side-load the latest APK when it's released.

- For iOS devices, you have to change your iTunes Store by way of adding a US-based payment method (gift card or real US credit card), and a US address. Download the app, then switch your iTunes Store back. If you ever wipe your phone, you won't be able to download the app again until you re-do the store switcheroo. iOS is the biggest pain in the ass for this. Jailbroken devices will have more options.

- If you have an Xbox 360 / PS3 / PS4, you'll need to sign up with a US Microsoft / PSN account (you don't need XBL Gold or PS+). Create it through a web browser and use a US address. Sign into your console with the US-based account, download the HBO Now app, then switch back to your normal account. The app will remain available for use.

*Caveat: My Xbox 360 works flawlessly with Hulu and HBO Now. My PS3 works fine with Hulu, but I get a cryptic 'An error has occurred' message when trying to play anything on HBO Now. Not sure if the PS3 version is just buggy given that it was only released a short while ago, or if there is some region-detection trickery happening that the DNS servers aren't able to mitigate.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote