Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #161
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Stamps haven't lost two home games in a row since 2012 when they lost to BC in week 5 and then again to Toronto in week 8.

Since then they've gone 33-3 at home in the regular season and 4-1 at home in the playoffs for a 37-4 home record.

If that won't sell out McMahon, nothing will I guess.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #162
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Really disappointing to see the interest just falling off a cliff. The Sun explained this was the lowest labour day turnout since 1989 at just over 31k. Broke a 27 year streak of 32k+ for labour day.

Even the last few years I'm pretty sure that was our only guaranteed sell out. Weather, other stuff to do blah blah blah. It's getting bad.
Lots of factor, some of which the league can control and some which it can't.

Product issues
- Poor officiating
- More talent moving around, including to the U.S. Hard to develop strong bonds with players when there is so much movement. If a player does well, count on them being gone soon.
- NFL game has improved and has a lot more offense now than it used to. So the argument that the CFL is more exciting just no longer holds
- Too many BAD football teams. Not enough good ones.
- And with too many bad teams, there are too many bad games.

Presentation issues
- The gap between the game experience live and on television is now too narrow. I can sit at home and enjoy just as much, if not more, than going to the actual game. TSN has done a lot of great work, but it means there is less motivation to go the game
- McMahon is terrible. Bad, uncomfortable seats. Horrible concessions. Lack of parking. Lack of washrooms. Bad.
- Ticket prices for all that are too high
- Game environment, depending on who is playing, isn't great. Wouldn't be comfortable taking my 4 year old to a game because of the drunkeness and swearing in some sections. Let alone fights.

League needs to focus on improving their in-game experience, being realistic about ticket prices, and finding ways to improve the game itself.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #163
zyzz
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is Huff always on the sidelines?
zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #164
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
League needs to focus on improving their in-game experience, being realistic about ticket prices, and finding ways to improve the game itself.
This would go so far, imo. And it's something the Stamps actually control.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #165
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Was it cold there? I'm away and my wife said she didn't use my tickets because it was "too cold". Looked like a pretty awesome day on tv.
I got sunburnt.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #166
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Football is a game that translated better on TV then live.

You get every reply instantly, always have a good angle, and avoid weather concerns (Too hot OR too cold)

The NFL is experiencing this too where attendance is down.

Add into the fact the CFL game is actually becoming slower with replays, and no star power for players, and it's no wonder less fans are coming out.

However, the league is financially doing well, because of broadcast $$!

Attendance wise though, we are in a death spiral. Less people come, so they jack up ticket prices and food prices. So less young people come. Rinse and repeat.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #167
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Only thing missing is "Dynasty-esque" playoff success, as they've only been to 3 GC games winning just 2 of them in those 8 seasons.
Basically a mirror image of the 90s Stamps teams in that regard. Man those were some painful formative years.

The Darren Flutie catch may be at the top of my all-time most agonizing sports moments.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #168
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Basically a mirror image of the 90s Stamps teams in that regard. Man those were some painful formative years.

The Darren Flutie catch may be at the top of my all-time most painful sports moments.
Yeap. I was there watching it live. Same with the year before when Micheal Soles, Lucius Floyd and Damon Allen ran the ball down the Stamps throat all day long and the -30C temps froze Doug Fluties hands as well as the sideline heaters. That was a cold one with a heartbreaking result. Of course, the very next week it was absolutely beautiful weather for the Grey Cup and I had to sit up there and watch the Bombers and Esks play instead of the host Stamps who had obliterated everybody that year during the regular season.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #169
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I paid substantially more to go to the Grey Cup in Vancouver than I did for a scalped ticket to see the NFC final in Seattle. That is completely ludicrous.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:49 PM   #170
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, the infamous -40 game, made all the worse by my die-hard, very boisterous Eskimos fan stepdad. Tip of the cap for you even braving that weather.

Wasn't at that one, but went to the 2000 West Final vs 8-10 B.C. a week before we hosted the Grey Cup that I had tickets to (my first one!). Of course that ends up being the only year from 98-01 where we DIDN'T go to the Cup, they tend to choke in years we're hosting.

Still remember hearing the collective air leave the stadium when Dickenson didn't get up from that tackle, everyone knew it was over when he left the game.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:10 PM   #171
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I was thinking of taking my niece and nephew to a game when I'm in town next month as their parents didn't get season tickets this year. However, I just checked the prices of tickets for where they usually sit. For the cost of a single ticket, I can take advantage of something CSEC don't seem to realize: Calgary is a growing city and there is an ever increasing amount of things to do. $84 would easily be enough to pay for two hours at one of the trampoline parks with enough left over to buy the ingredients to make nachos at home for when we watch the Stamps game on TV. The only problem is I'm not sure I can last two hours on the trampolines.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #172
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Playing in cold weather increases the chances that the best team does not win the championship. A unfrozen Flutie would have won a couple more rings to be sure.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #173
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Playing in cold weather increases the chances that the best team does not win the championship. A unfrozen Flutie would have won a couple more rings to be sure.
Yeah. As soon as he went to TO and played his playoff games indoors he suddenly went 2 for 2 with winning the Grey Cup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #174
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

They really need to bump back the start of the season, let's wrap this thing up by Halloween. Would make a world of difference.

And back to the 90s playoff failure talk, that's one thing I'll always love about that 8-10 Stamps team winning it in 2001. I'll always see that as getting a ring back for all the ones we should've won from 1993-00. Definitely should've been more than 1
Old 09-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #175
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
They really need to bump back the start of the season, let's wrap this thing up by Halloween. Would make a world of difference.

And back to the 90s playoff failure talk, that's one thing I'll always love about that 8-10 Stamps team winning it in 2001. I'll always see that as getting a ring back for all the ones we should've won from 1993-00. Definitely should've been more than 1
No doubt. 9 years of Flutie, Garcia, and Dickenson as the Stamps QBs but only two Grey Cups to show for it. Then we eek one out with Marcus Crandell lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #176
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
I was thinking of taking my niece and nephew to a game when I'm in town next month as their parents didn't get season tickets this year. However, I just checked the prices of tickets for where they usually sit. For the cost of a single ticket, I can take advantage of something CSEC don't seem to realize: Calgary is a growing city and there is an ever increasing amount of things to do. $84 would easily be enough to pay for two hours at one of the trampoline parks with enough left over to buy the ingredients to make nachos at home for when we watch the Stamps game on TV. The only problem is I'm not sure I can last two hours on the trampolines.
You can get 25 tickets at Safeway I believe, if you want to reduce your cost.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #177
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
You can get 25 tickets at Safeway I believe, if you want to reduce your cost.
$22. It's what we do.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #178
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeap. I was there watching it live. Same with the year before when Micheal Soles, Lucius Floyd and Damon Allen ran the ball down the Stamps throat all day long and the -30C temps froze Doug Fluties hands as well as the sideline heaters. That was a cold one with a heartbreaking result. Of course, the very next week it was absolutely beautiful weather for the Grey Cup and I had to sit up there and watch the Bombers and Esks play instead of the host Stamps who had obliterated everybody that year during the regular season.
Oh man, the memories of that -45 game. 12 years old, was able to make it to the 3rd quarter before having to listen to the rest of the game in the heated bathroom before frostbite set in!
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:15 PM   #179
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

officiating and reviews and penalties have really, really destroyed the game though. It's worth just hammering away on this point in prayer that somebody from the league stumbles across this website and see how many fans it pisses off.

Please. I want to like you CFL, but you make it so, so hard.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote