Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #1
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default External Storage

I have a number of old computers that I need to get rid of.

There are somethings on those computers I would like to take off before chucking them.

Some documents, mainly video/photos.

One is 11 years old.

I am looking for suggestions for (I am not even sure of the term) an external hard drive I could use.

I would like one with +++ capacity.

Suggestions.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have purchased a "toaster style" enclosure for this/repairing drives. Should be able to find one under $30 that you plug in either a 2.5 or 3.5 inch drive, then USB into your current computer. If the drives aren't reading properly, there are some software programs that should help you access. I remember one being something similar sounding to "undelete my drive."
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

You need a hard drive to store the old files on? Or need an enclosure to plug the old drives in to extract?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
You need a hard drive to store the old files on? Or need an enclosure to plug the old drives in to extract?

I want to take files from the computer and put them onto another device for storing electronic stuff.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #5
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the computers are running, then you could plug in an external hard drive into the computers (assuming they have USB). If not, you can pull out the hard drives and put them into the toaster that I mentioned and plug them into your modern computer, to drag onto that drive.

If you are buying an external enclosure for just this transfer purpose, I recommend again to buy a toaster style one. It'll cost the same as a sealed enclosure and is more versatile.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

^seconded. The "toaster" style are decent and easy to use. If just looking for an external drive, I've had good luck with most of the Seagate line.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #7
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/HardDrives
On the left side click on "external drive" to filter the list.
You can get a 1TB for about $80, 2TB for a little over $100. I imagine 1TB is probably plenty for most people.
This one seems good.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49600
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #8
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is an 11-year old HD likely to be SATA? I don't know when they switched from IDE but IDE won't fit in the toaster enclosures, will they?
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:52 PM   #9
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post
Is an 11-year old HD likely to be SATA? I don't know when they switched from IDE but IDE won't fit in the toaster enclosures, will they?
I think he means to put a new sata drive into the toaster and plug the toaster into the USB plug on the computer.

Something like this I use on my Bell PVR. There are cheaper ones with only one slot. Easy to use, no tools needed and you don't need a separate enclosure for every hard drive.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/thermalta...44833-1049.htm

Last edited by Vulcan; 09-08-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #10
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yes totally off topic but i still wanted to share that just now I replaced the PS4's original 500GB hard drive to a 2TB Seagate Backup Ultra Slim. It was actually a lot of fun to do even though it's totally out of character for me. I did some formatting, file dragging, downloading and even used a screwdriver!

I now have 72 minutes left on my restore from my WD passport which i used to backup everything but id like to thank Diemenz with all of his assistance, much appreciated my friend.

......now for more "totally out of left field"
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #11
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Nerds,

I have a 2TB WD MyBook that I've been using to backup my main PC. I recently moved my PC from one end of the room to the other, and I noticed that the disk was constantly in "Disk Discovering" mode. I Don't exactly remember when this started, but physically moving the PC must be the culprit. When I open the software it says there is no writable partition on the disk.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the software a bunch of times and tried things like:

It says my disk isn't initialized when I try these steps. When I attempt to initialize, it says there is a fatal hardware error.

Two questions:

1. All my files are on my computer so I didn't "lose" anything, but it's unnerving not having a backup currently. However, is it possible to fix this drive and recovery everything?
2. If not, is it easier to buy a new one and re-backup my PC?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:29 PM   #12
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I meant Nerds in the most endearing way possible fellas, no need to ignore me
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
luddite