Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default Best bang for your buck monitor?

I've got a faulty computer monitor that I need to replace. Right now I am just using a standard 20 inch Dell LCD. I don't necessarily need the fanciest monitor but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask what other people recommend.

I generally just use my computer for video games and the internet. I don't want any movies or hockey on it.

Looking to spend between 100-200. I don't think I will use it enough to pay for the really nice models.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd go with a BenQ from memory express:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/LCDMonitors

I bought a 28 inch soon after my samsung synchmaster bit the dust. Have been pretty happy with it although I'm not using it 24 hours a day
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I use Samsung monitors, haven't had many issues some times they choose to put strange ports on them (my latest ones have no DVI only HDMI and VGA) but you usually can find them on sale for good prices which makes it worth it.

BenQ usually produces high quality products, I have a project that the bulb refused to die on after 3 years of use. Their monitors tend to be bit high so I have stayed away from them.

If there was one monitor I would avoid, I would avoid LG. I have had 7 of them die on me, bought 4 brand new they all but one died and were replaced under warranty by LG. Then the 3 replacements and 1 orginal finally died after warranty. (Was over a 4 year period)

I also would avoid Memory Express, they usually have good product that you rarely have to warranty; however when you do have to return something, my friends and I have all had issues with them honouring IPR consistently.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Krovikan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

I bought these:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/BDL_S24D390_X2

Surprised they still have this package in stock. It sold out in minutes on black friday and they still seem to have stock from their boxing day order.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

NCIX has some nice LG IPS monitors for around the $200 mark.

I bought a crazy 2560 x 1080 IPS monitor for one of our staff who is always working with large electrical schematics. Dual HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort inputs. I paid $198 but it's now at $214, I see.

They also have a 27" 16:9 LG IPS monitor selling for $199 right now, though. That's a hell of a deal.

EDIT: re: cdutka's comments about LGs dying...sorry to hear that. Haven't had the same issues myself, but then I'm not really able to track them the same way.

Last edited by BloodFetish; 01-08-2015 at 11:45 AM.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #6
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdutka View Post
I also would avoid Memory Express, they usually have good product that you rarely have to warranty; however when you do have to return something, my friends and I have all had issues with them honouring IPR consistently.
I haven't had an issue with MemEx honoring IPRs, but curious what your experiences were? I've had to use IPR about a half-dozen times, but only for drives and monitors for clients. Once they've verified the part was not working, they replaced it right away.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #7
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I haven't had an issue with MemEx honoring IPRs, but curious what your experiences were? I've had to use IPR about a half-dozen times, but only for drives and monitors for clients. Once they've verified the part was not working, they replaced it right away.
I have uses IPR 4 times, had two issue, both issue was with a tablet. My Transformer screen just wouldn't turn on all of a sudden, no damage, they were dragging their feet "verifying" and eventually after escalating to management they just replacing it. The second issue the accelerometer in my Nexus 7 stopped working so I was unable to rotate the display. They refused to IPR due to some minor damage on the bezel, in fact they tried to charge me almost $300 to fix it (which is more than the $250 I originally paid).

(the following is 2nd hand information)
The most recent story is from my friend, he had replaced a head set several times and he kept on having issues. So Memory Express agreed to replace it with an equivalent, at first I they offered him a $50 headset to replace the one he bought at $150, then after arguing with them for an hour they agree to replace it with similar features (ended up being $110 headset). Then he went to take the manual (which had the manufacture warranty) and the sale person grabbed it from his hands saying you didn't bring yours in. He said it has the manufacture warranty you have to give it to me. They kicked him out of the store. I'm sure he was snippy with them, I would be after arguing trying to get a headset near what I paid for an hour.

I don't warrenty stuff that much, for the amount of money I spent at MemEx, the $250 seemed really petty to me and when I said that to them I got the impression they didn't care so I shop online now Amazon, newegg and NCIX.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krovikan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have this monitor and does everything I need as PC gamer. Maybe not quite the resolution you want but the price it's at right now is hard to pass up!!

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX51887
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 08:05 PM   #9
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a couple of benQ VA panels and they are good with great contrast. I also have a couple of LG IPS monitors and they have great colours.
The 23" LG has a cheap stand but it was like $150 so I can't complain. The other 27" one was factory calibrated with a print out and is really good. I'd consider that 27"LG IPS for $200 linked in a previous post.

The only brand I ever had trouble with was Samsung and their warranty dept. so YMMV.

1080P on a 27" monitor doesn't satisfy everyone but to go up to 1440p at that size doubles the price. The compromise is to get a 24" at 1080p.

Last edited by Vulcan; 01-08-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #10
ChickenPho
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdutka View Post
I have uses IPR 4 times, had two issue, both issue was with a tablet. My Transformer screen just wouldn't turn on all of a sudden, no damage, they were dragging their feet "verifying" and eventually after escalating to management they just replacing it. The second issue the accelerometer in my Nexus 7 stopped working so I was unable to rotate the display. They refused to IPR due to some minor damage on the bezel, in fact they tried to charge me almost $300 to fix it (which is more than the $250 I originally paid).

(the following is 2nd hand information)
The most recent story is from my friend, he had replaced a head set several times and he kept on having issues. So Memory Express agreed to replace it with an equivalent, at first I they offered him a $50 headset to replace the one he bought at $150, then after arguing with them for an hour they agree to replace it with similar features (ended up being $110 headset). Then he went to take the manual (which had the manufacture warranty) and the sale person grabbed it from his hands saying you didn't bring yours in. He said it has the manufacture warranty you have to give it to me. They kicked him out of the store. I'm sure he was snippy with them, I would be after arguing trying to get a headset near what I paid for an hour.

I don't warrenty stuff that much, for the amount of money I spent at MemEx, the $250 seemed really petty to me and when I said that to them I got the impression they didn't care so I shop online now Amazon, newegg and NCIX.

Not surprised as I have a couple friends who had bad experiences with Mem Ex IPR. I stay far away from it at all costs. Not sure which location your friend got kicked out of but ive found Mem ex service to be on and off.
ChickenPho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:38 PM   #11
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I also have a 23" BenQ which I bought 2-3 years ago at a Boxing Day sale at Memory Express and it's still going strong.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #12
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So I just spoiled myself, and made an impulse purchase on a couples monitors. Picked up these bad boys:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX52805

I underestimated how big these would look on my desk! but they are a beauty!
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #13
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump. I need a new monitor for my Mac mini. It's in the kitchen and used 12 hrs a day to display photos so a large screen (27") would help make them visible from a distance. It's also used close in for mail, documents, and video editing so high resolution. And it needs to look good. Ideally with speakers too.

I tried a 27" 1920x1080 ASUS but the font resolution was poor up close and the colours were too vibrant. I think I need to go for a smaller screen, same res, or go to a higher res. Not looking to break the bank.

Any suggestions?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote