Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #21
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's also been lots of criticism of the format with two of the top three decided so early in the playoffs.

I think the silver lining of the disappointment might be that other tournaments will get more love from the community next year. The compendium system should work for others as well so long as Valve's own tournament doesn't overshadow everything else like it has so far.

For example, ESL Frankfurt was a great tournament in June with a big audience in a football stadium. The fans probably found the games more exciting too.

Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #22
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
There's also been lots of criticism of the format with two of the top three decided so early in the playoffs.

I think the silver lining of the disappointment might be that other tournaments will get more love from the community next year. The compendium system should work for others as well so long as Valve's own tournament doesn't overshadow everything else like it has so far.

For example, ESL Frankfurt was a great tournament in June with a big audience in a football stadium. The fans probably found the games more exciting too.

Hah a guy in a Canucks t-shirt at 0:14-0:15
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #23
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

So. This game has really gotten its hooks into me. I freaking love it but I'm awful - the community isn't nearly as bad as I was led to believe and most players have been really helpful in guiding me.

Any one else playing?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #24
110%
Farm Team Player

Exp:

The community isn't bad yet because you're still awful (your words, not mine =) ). I've played DOTA (2) for about 10 years. Once you get into ranked games and start moving up the mmr ladder, you will see the true cancer that is the DOTA community.

Here's what waits for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOMs2t8eOMw
110% is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 110% For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #25
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I never really did get into DOTA, I did play a ton of HON though which has a very very toxic player base.

I play HOTS now, mostly with RL friends but also in the MMR matching. I think not having voice chat is a wise move lol.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:33 PM   #26
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110% View Post
Haha - what a beauty. I love guys like that - he reminds of the WoW 'more DOTs' guy.

I don't think I can see myself ever even wanting to play MMR matches - I'm happy doing Limited Heroes and the odd All pick to try out a new hero. I certainly don't troll or feed intentionally but if we're in the same game - you're in the wrong place not me, so I will laugh out loud at your outbursts.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:05 PM   #27
110%
Farm Team Player

Exp:

The music playing in that video just kills me haha oh man..
110% is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 110% For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2015, 10:39 PM   #28
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Played a lot of it in the past couple years but not as much recently. Never did ranked. Found unranked just as/more fun because people like that guy in the video ruined the game.

Really great game though. Lots of fun mechanics and interactions between the heroes. Always found myself playing carry and wished I played more mid though. Friends always wanted to play supports.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:31 AM   #29
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't play unranked because every time I play unranked, players just care about doing their own thing with whatever heroes they feel like playing that game. The team composition ends up awful.

It's really frustrating when you get a team full of carries and no one wants to play any other roles. I guess an analogy would be every player on the ice wanting to play cherry picking forward. Someone's gotta play defence and someone's gotta be in net.

Ranked isn't that much better, but still better than unranked.

The best option is to have a team of 5 players.
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:21 AM   #30
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Because of the toxic play in these types of games (I play LoL) I just play aram (all random, all mid) which are quick games and generally way more relaxed and fun.

I'm very sensitive to toxic players and it just ruins the fun for me.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #31
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love dota but only play with a group of 5 of us. Keeps it fun for each of us and allows those of weaker skill not to be killed too consistently.
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #32
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha I'm legitimately scared to play DOTA.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #33
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wtf is DOTA?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #34
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

A friend of mine has been begging for me to play DOTA 2 with him for a while now. I think I've played about five matches over the past week but I am not overly impressed. I've been playing League of Legends now for years and some of the design choices in DOTA are not my cup of tea.

I think creep/tower denial is a fine mechanic but the overall punishing nature of DOTA simply turns me off of the game. I HATE that you lose gold upon death especially with how expensive item components cost. I also find there isn't enough player feedback in regards to what is going on. Often times I find that I instantly die and there isn't anything telling me what or why.

From what I've played I feel as though the new player experience in DOTA is pretty horrendous and this is coming from someone who has put in a lot of time into other MOBAs. I can't imagine what it must be like for someone stepping in fresh.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #35
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Used to play dota pretty hard but now I just rock ability draft or all random unless I have 4/5
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #36
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Honestly if you are on the fence with DOTA, give HOTS a try. Faster matches, completely team based with shared level and I like not having to buy items. The games feel so fast paced there is literally never a second that you are just trying to last hit or anything like that. Having a variety of maps is a lot of fun as well.

Momentum swings happen all the time with the objective based maps, I've had some amazing come backs and generally the longest hard fought matches are 20-25 minutes.

Can't say the playerbase is much better, but Blizzard claims that they are trying everything possible to make it a socially enjoyable experience.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #37
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd suggest watching the "newbie" stream at the next TI if you are looking to start Dota (you might even be able to find recordings of this most recent TI?). They break everything down and explain why things are happening...I was impressed when I took a look at it.

Dota is an unforgiving game in many ways but truthfully that is kind of where I enjoy it. The ability to punish a poor move of someone else is a very satisfying feeling. Losing money when you die is a good way to keep that one guy trying to rush a radiance (costs a ton on money in 2 large pieces) a bit further from coming online with his power. This is a frustrating mechanic when you are on the wrong end of it but I enjoy the power swings instead of "everyone is ok after the fight". One huge teamfight can swing the game quite a bit.

They've made some recent quality of life changes aimed at dividing gold earned from kills more equally and of that nature as well as creating some support centric items that are really cool. My only gripe is the incredibly slow process of introducing new heroes (really heroes that already exist in the WC3 incarnation).
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:30 AM   #38
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I played with some pros in the public games, screaming and swearing and generally being psychotic. Then they followed my account on steam and started slandering me trying to get me banned from steam because I died in the beginning of the game by accident. I've never met such ragaholic individuals in a game ever.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #39
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Play heroes instead, you can report toxic morons when they get out of hand.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote