Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Excel question

Hoping someone can help me. I'm a excel rookie was hoping to do the following.

Basically, I have 20 player sheets. At the bottom of each sheet is an average number cell that will change throughout the week based on rankings. I want to create a master sheet that will only tell me the player name and correlate it with that specific player's average ranking cell and have it update automatically.

Just want to see:

John A - 52
Sam B - 44
Tom J - 55

Because I'm an excel rookie, I looked into consolidation. It's kind of doing what I want, I'm linking the cell back to the master sheet, but then it keeps adding everything up (sum). So John A will correctly display 52, but Sam B will show 96 as it's adding the two up. Tom J will show the sum of all of them. I just want it to display the average number that is on each players' sheet next to their name, but don't see an option for that.

I don't want it add them all up just show the damn number that's in that cell for each player. What the heck am I doing wrong?
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I'd try to help, but I'm just not seeing what you are trying to do. If no one else jumps in that can help maybe add a image or two and I can take a look.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #3
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sent a PM. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #4
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

RW pointed me in the right direction. I ditched consolidation and did cell reference, using =Sheet1!$A$1 as the code and I can at least get the numbers in there now.

However, I am unable to update them. I changed the numbers to see, and it didn't change. Is there a way to update all the cells? I used the update all tab and it did nothing. It tried to re-link and still the numbers remain unchanged.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #5
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

God I'm a rookie. I figured it all out. Thanks!

Hangs head in Excel rookiness shame. (Issue was referencing the sheet name. I had _ in there and apparently I needed to use a , in the link section thing)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jayems For This Useful Post: