Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Anyone have a Linksys Router?

News is sketchy at best, but apparently a security researcher at the Black Hat Conference in 7 days will release a "DNS Rebuilding" exploit for Linksys Routers with the default and different flavours of Linux Firmware (not sure if my tomato firmware is exploitable). Not sure if the hack only works on the default or simple passwords or anything (my "secure" password I use for alot of things is 19 characters long with 3 special characters, 4 capital letters, 9 numbers).

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/21/r...s-of-home-rou/

I might be buying a few DLinks today because of this.
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...1&sku=A3455167

Last edited by mykalberta; 07-21-2010 at 09:20 AM.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
(my "secure" password I use for alot of things is 19 characters long with 3 special characters, 4 capital letters, 9 numbers).
HAHAHAHA then its not very secure at all is it...it’s being used multiple times.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One a serious note, this exploit is not as bad as it sounds - it tricks the router into exposing the administration page because the router thinks the requester is on the internal network, when in fact they are external. From there, they still need to guess the password to the admin page.

Which is easier, of course, when your “secure” 19 character long password, is in play at multiple sites.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
I might be buying a few DLinks today because of this.
I was going to start a new thread on this, but I think the current batch of Dlinks are flawed. I don't have the model numbers handy, but it looks like 4 out of the 4 I have for myself and friends have issues. Dropping signals, not allowing machines to connect, etc.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
HAHAHAHA then its not very secure at all is it...it’s being used multiple times.
If they crack it they crack it. One great password is better than 5 ok passwords imo - not all of us use calgaryflames001, 002, 003, 004 as our passwords.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I was going to start a new thread on this, but I think the current batch of Dlinks are flawed. I don't have the model numbers handy, but it looks like 4 out of the 4 I have for myself and friends have issues. Dropping signals, not allowing machines to connect, etc.
The one I linked to has fairly good reviews on newegg but normally I would agree, DLink blows.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The DNS rebinding bug is not a good enough reason to replace a router, in my opinion. Changing the default admin page password will reduce them to having to attempt a brute-force crack. That’s not low hanging fruit that can be easily exploited.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If they crack it they crack it. One great password is better than 5 ok passwords imo - not all of us use calgaryflames001, 002, 003, 004 as our passwords.
It is not about cracking the password itself, it is about finding a place you use it that doesn't have as good of security as it should.

Imagine this, you sign up for www.bobshouseofabortionphotos.com and use your superpassword. Next month, some anti-abortion nutjob hacks into the system and somehow retrieves all the password information because Bob didn't think it was important to have the passwords encrypted because it really slowed down log in on his Dell PowerEdge 110T server in his basement. Now someone not only has a list of IP addresses of those people who access that site, but he has a list of passwords that they use.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

one of you guys want to buy this from me?
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ182859294
Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
The DNS rebinding bug is not a good enough reason to replace a router, in my opinion. Changing the default admin page password will reduce them to having to attempt a brute-force crack. That’s not low hanging fruit that can be easily exploited.
Or one could just use OpenDNS which has been protecting its user from DNS rebinding for a while now.

http://blog.opendns.com/2008/04/14/f...nding-attacks/

http://blog.opendns.com/2010/07/27/c...craig-heffner/
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
It is not about cracking the password itself, it is about finding a place you use it that doesn't have as good of security as it should.

Imagine this, you sign up for www.bobshouseofabortionphotos.com and use your superpassword. Next month, some anti-abortion nutjob hacks into the system and somehow retrieves all the password information because Bob didn't think it was important to have the passwords encrypted because it really slowed down log in on his Dell PowerEdge 110T server in his basement. Now someone not only has a list of IP addresses of those people who access that site, but he has a list of passwords that they use.
FYI - that's not a real site. Just checked.

...just in case any of your were curious...
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phaneuf3 For This Useful Post:

Tags
black hat , hacks , is linux really secure , linksys