Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #21
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

here's a dumb question: have you gone into the settings on the ps3 and configured the ps3 to use your modem/IP addy?

It seems like a no brainer question, but my buddy was stumped on this as well, and that was the problem, as he didn't know he had to do that.

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #22
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I use the ps3 media server. Works great for standard def shows but as soon as it gets into HD territory it gets quite choppy, so I've had to go back to my apple tv. Shame really, I was hoping to get a ps3 on one tv and an apple tv on the other, but i have so much HD stuff that the PS3 doesn't work all that well.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #23
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy's Critter View Post
here's a dumb question: have you gone into the settings on the ps3 and configured the ps3 to use your modem/IP addy?

It seems like a no brainer question, but my buddy was stumped on this as well, and that was the problem, as he didn't know he had to do that.
REDVAN's issue is the same problem I had. The router that Telus uses for the Telus TV is a steaming POS. It treats wireless and wired connections as 2 completely separate things and does not allow them to talk to one another. The only way to get a PC/PS3 network directly on that router is to have them both wireless or both wired. Unfortunately the box can't just be swapped out for any other router because then the TV will not work.

The solution I rigged up for myself was to daisy chain another router to the Telus router. I was then able to use that secondary router to network the devices together. The other options are to use USB sticks to watch the videos or to get a wireless card or dongle for the PC so that both devices are hooked up wirelessly.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #24
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

you could also get a usb wireless (or internal wireless card etc) for your computer and create a adhoc wireless network between it and your ps3, bypassing the router completely
Old 07-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #25
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Anyone have any tips for streaming 720/1080? I have a couple that I would like to try watching but the ps3 media server ends up pausing while watching. Anyone know the best way for HD rips? I can't use thumb drive to ps3 since file is bigger then 4
Why not just copy it to the PS3 over the network and then delete it after you've watched it?
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #26
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yads View Post
Why not just copy it to the PS3 over the network and then delete it after you've watched it?

Because I have no idea how to do that. And one file is mkv which ps3 doesnt support. Other is mp4 so that would work.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #27
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I gave up trying to stream content - found it's simpler to use a USB stick or USB hard drive plugged into the Xbox or PS3.

If I had the money I'd just buy a dedicated media server - but it's hard to justify a cost like that when the problem is so easily solved using existing means.

Dealing with MKV, I've used this program (OS X only): http://www.emmgunn.com/mokgvm2dvd/mokgvmdownload.html
It cost me a whopping $5.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #28
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Because I have no idea how to do that. And one file is mkv which ps3 doesnt support. Other is mp4 so that would work.
Ah, didn't realize that. I thought you already had an avi. Check this out
http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Play-...-Playstation-3
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #29
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have some converting software it just takes a while. Thanks for the link I will have to try that out.
Another problem I have is I have some external drives but I formated them on my mac instead of my pc thus making them useless for going back and forth between mac ps3 and pc. The only way I have been able to research to fix this is by formating them using a linux system. Does anyone know a way to do that. If I could figure that out then the odd movie I dl that is HD I can just put on my spare hard drive thats sitting around instead of on my pc.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #30
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
WDTV media player would be the best way for streaming 720p, I heard it still staggers in 1080p. Check futureshop/bestbuy weekend for usb drive sales, you can often find a 8gb/16gb for $15-35
I have my WDTV Live hooked up wirelessly and can stream 1080p no problem.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #31
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have some converting software it just takes a while. Thanks for the link I will have to try that out.
Another problem I have is I have some external drives but I formated them on my mac instead of my pc thus making them useless for going back and forth between mac ps3 and pc. The only way I have been able to research to fix this is by formating them using a linux system. Does anyone know a way to do that. If I could figure that out then the odd movie I dl that is HD I can just put on my spare hard drive thats sitting around instead of on my pc.
You want a hard drive to work with Mac, PC and your PS3?

Pretty sure FAT32 (and maybe exFAT?) is the only thing that supports reading and writing on Mac and PC, but not sure about the PS3 though.

Any modern version of windows can do this for you with no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
I have my WDTV Live hooked up wirelessly and can stream 1080p no problem.
Thats impressive, what Bitrate is the HD content though?
Old 07-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #32
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Windows wont do it. Since it is all ready done in what ever mac language is windows can only access a very small portion of the drive to reformat/repartition it. Someone with better knowledge may be able to help out but now I can't format it to FAT32

I will try again when I go home to see if I can make it work.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #33
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Windows wont do it. Since it is all ready done in what ever mac language is windows can only access a very small portion of the drive to reformat/repartition it. Someone with better knowledge may be able to help out but now I can't format it to FAT32

I will try again when I go home to see if I can make it work.
Use the Disk Management Tool. I would be very suprised if it didn't let you simply delete the old partition and create a new one (or more).

Easiest way to access it is control panel --> Administrative tools --> computer management --> storage --> Disk management.

All your partitions will be listed on the bottom. You can create, delete, format, label etc every partition (execpt for active one). I have never tried it with a HFS formatted drive but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #34
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I found it far easier and pretty cheap ultimately to build a home theatre PC that can handle every file format without conversion, will work right on your network, can stream videos from a shared file directory on your main PC, that you can hook up external harddrives, etc. and everything to.

This is not very expensive actually, especially if you have a 3-4 year old computer or a bunch of parts lying around. All you need is a $20 wireless card.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote