Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #481
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bomb these guys back to the modern age.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #482
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

http://www.riyadhvision.com/2014/08/...-schools-isis/

Islamic State has banned Chemistry and Philosophy in controlled-area schools because "they do not fit with the laws of God".
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #483
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
To add to this.

The biggest victims of these extremists are moderate Muslims. To hold them responsible for the acts of the extremists is not going to work. The solution is for countries like Saudi Arabia and Qatar to stop giving them billions of dollars.
That's exactly the problem. Everytime some retrograde extremist Islamic group bombs something or causes uprisings, the reaction among majority populations in the first world is to automatically act with suspicion towards their entire local Islamic populations. What this does is it cleaves the Islamic population from the mainstream in the first world and actually makes them more insular and less willing to be part of the broader community. Eventually some of the most vulnerable people in that population end up relating more with the lunatic extremists based on their shared religion and ethnicity (and pushed along by brainwashing from recruitment attempts) than with their own country. That's why young people from Canada, Britain, France etc. are joining these idiots in Syria and Iraq.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #484
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

Islamic State has banned Chemistry and Philosophy in controlled-area schools because "they do not fit with the laws of God".
I think all ISIS are evil.

Damn you.....I also found this disgusting story:

http://www.riyadhvision.com/2014/07/...tilation-iraq/

Quote:
The al-Qaeda-Inspired Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has ordered all girls and women between the ages of 11 and 46 in and around Iraq’s northern city of Mosul to undergo female genital mutilation, the United Nations said on Thursday.

“It is a fatwa (or religious edict) of ISIS, we learnt this this morning,” said Jacqueline Badcock, the number two U.N. official in Iraq.

The “fatwa” would potentially affect 4 million women and girls, Badcock told reporters in Geneva by videolink from Arbil.

“This is something very new for Iraq, particularly in this area, and is of grave concern and does need to be addressed,” she said, according to Reuters.

“This is not the will of Iraqi people, or the women of Iraq in these vulnerable areas covered by the terrorists,” she added.

No one was immediately available for comment from Islamic State which has led an offensive through northern and western Iraq.

The world body has “zero contact” with ISIS, but works through tribal leaders in the affected areas, Badcock said. “I can’t give you any more details until we have been on the ground to get information,” she said of the directive.

FGM, the partial or total removal of external female genitalia, is a tradition practiced widely in many countries and often justified as a means of suppressing a woman’s sexual desire to prevent “immoral” behavior.
Female Genital Mutilation in U.S. sparks warnings
Worldwide, more than 130 million girls and women have undergone FGM and more than 700 million women alive today were children when they were married.

The practice of FGM previously occurred only in isolated pockets of Iraq, mainly Kurdistan, according to Badcock.

Mosul city currently has some two million people, more than half of whom are women as there are many female-headed households in the area, she said. Several more million people live in surrounding areas, she added.

“There are reports of rapes of women, of forced marriages,” Badcock added.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #485
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To add to this.

The biggest victims of these extremists are moderate Muslims. To hold them responsible for the acts of the extremists is not going to work. The solution is for countries like Saudi Arabia and Qatar to stop giving them billions of dollars.
victims or enablers?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #486
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
http://www.riyadhvision.com/2014/08/16/philosophy-chemistry-banned-schools-isis/

SHouldn't they stop using bullets and guns then?

Pretty sure it takes a lot of chemistry and physics to shoot a gun powder powered projectile from a rifle. Maybe they can restrict their arsenal to rocks they find on the ground. Pretty much any other kind of weapon takes advanced chemistry and physics.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #487
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

ISIS needs to be eradicated with the precision of a surgeons scalpel. Send in the special forces and wipe these creeps off the face of the earth.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #488
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
ISIS needs to be eradicated with the precision of a surgeons scalpel. Send in the special forces and wipe these creeps off the face of the earth.
Yeah, because that worked so well before.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #489
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

These are simply uneducated, ignorant savages running amuck like a medieval horde of barbarians. They don't even know that those historic caliphates that they adore were some of the greatest sources of science, physics, mathematics, and chemistry in history. English words like Alchemy and Alcohol, etc. come from Arabic. Without Islamic science and scholars, we would also have also have lost of lot of ancient Greek treatises on math, philosophy, etc. that helped spark the Enlightenment.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-21-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #490
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Well, this time it's in support of Iraq, not invading it. See the difference?
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #491
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Nuclear bomb then
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #492
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To add to this.

Its not about holding them responsible, its about the moderate Muslims starting to take back what is theirs and steer it in a direction that makes some level of sense. They need to start ranting and raving in protection of their religion as feverishly as these clowns do to hijack it.

The western world can say and do what it wants, nothing will change until these monsters are cast out of their own communities and lose all support.

It might be controversial to say, but Im sure just like there are people that feel intimidated by these groups, there are probably plenty of people at mosque's that turn the other cheek and stand aside just to see how wild the fire will grow. That's how kids from Calgary end up joining stuff like this, it doesn't just happen in isolation. You don't take over parts of countries and recruit people from around the world if you're just a loony toon on the side of the street.

I think its a systemic problem that can only be solved when Muslim communities (and I know that's an oversimplification, there are lots of sects and different groups) are more willing to look inwards and say, hey we have a problem here. Why are these guys hijacking my religion to do vile things? We have to put a stop to this.

Honestly if Muslim communities globally, openly and loudly renounced groups likes this with a unified voice, it would be over for ISIS. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Recruitment would drop to nearly zero.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 08-20-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #493
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Its not about holding them responsible, its about the moderate Muslims starting to take back what is theirs and steer it in a direction that makes some level of sense. They need to start ranting and raving in protection of their religion as feverishly as these clowns do to hijack it.

The western world can say and do what it wants, nothing will change until these monsters are cast out of their own communities and lose all support.

It might be controversial to say, but Im sure just like there are people that feel intimidated by these groups, there are probably plenty of people at mosque's that turn the other cheek and stand aside just to see how wild the fire will grow. That's how kids from Calgary end up joining stuff like this, it doesn't just happen in isolation. You don't take over parts of countries and recruit people from around the world if you're just a loony toon on the side of the street.

I think its a systemic problem that can only be solved when Muslim communities (and I know that's an oversimplification, there are lots of sects and different groups) are more willing to look inwards and say, hey we have a problem here. Why are these guys hijacking my religion to do vile things? We have to put a stop to this.

Honestly if Muslim communities globally, openly and loudly renounced groups likes this with a unified voice, it would be over for ISIS. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Recruitment would drop to nearly zero.
I think a problem is that the majority of muslims from places like Saudi are pretty conservative and probably aren't all that unhappy when ISIS offs Christians.

Sufi Muslims seem to be the most progressive of the lot and they are constantly getting attacked by the more extreme Muslim groups.

If the Muslim community won't stand against that, I don't see much hope that they will stand against anything else.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 08-20-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #494
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
It actually has. JSOC wrecked havoc on terrorist groups in the ME the past 10 years. It is actually scary how effective they became.

It was the general boots on the ground and nation building that didn't work.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #495
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Biggest if ever. The evolution of Islam is not complete enough for anything global.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #496
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

This is unbelievable. My mind cannot fathom what's happening. How does someone rise to this level of atrocity and power in the 21st century.

It's like Hitler has been re-born and we're just sitting idly by and watching it happen. I pray for all those living in this area of the world... but I wish I could do more.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #497
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
This is unbelievable. My mind cannot fathom what's happening. How does someone rise to this level of atrocity and power in the 21st century.
I think you may need to rethink your idea of what the 21st century is supposed to look like. Or you may be very disappointed later on. I'm not predicting anything, just saying. Human potential for savagery has not been wiped out of our gene pool.

"If you take out Saddam, someone worse is just going to take his place." I heard that a lot in the 00s. I never really got what that made true, until it I saw it happening.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #498
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Interestingly enough, I have been reading up on the History of Western Science. Historians are now starting to credit the near east Muslims for preserving much of the Greeko-Roman knowledge of Astronomy, Math, and Engineering, through the dark ages. They were accepting liberal thinkers at the time and more willing to consider godless solutions to the problems of the universe than Roman Catholic Europeans.

They are probably focusing mainly on the Ottamans (Turkish) who seem to more or less stay out of the middle east crap today. But from what I understand some vary important work in math was taking place in Todays Iraq while Europeans were busy destroying half of their own bible because it would send the wrong message.

Edit: Sorry Hack&Lube. Point was already made, I guess I should read all the way down first.

Last edited by #-3; 08-20-2014 at 11:10 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:28 PM   #499
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Nm.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 08-20-2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: my ideas are dumb.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 PM   #500
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Much of the middle east was never like this before the US and Britain began to distabilize the regions, in an effort to gain better control of the oil resources. This destabilization allowed more powerful people to keep the general public ignorant by limiting education, science and social progression.
I dunno. From what I have been reading of the history of the region, the Middle East seems to have been exactly like it is now for centuries.

Research the Barbary Pirates.

American Ships Were Protected Before Independence
Before the United States achieved independence from Britain, American merchants ships were protected on the high seas by Britain's Royal Navy. But when the young nation was established its shipping could no longer count on British warships keeping it safe.

In March 1786, two future presidents met with an ambassador from the pirate nations of North Africa. Thomas Jefferson, who was the US ambassador in France, and John Adams, the ambassador to Britain, met with the ambassador from Tripoli in London. They asked why American merchant ships were being attacked without provocation.

The ambassador explained that Muslim pirates considered Americans to be infidels and they believed they simply had the right to plunder American ships.

From http://history1800s.about.com/od/ame...arbarywars.htm

From what I read the extreme sect of Muslims in the Wahhabi movement have been around since the 1700's as well.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote