Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:
Default Furnace Humidifier Settings

So previously places I had included high end digital humidifier attached to the furnace. Condos forced me to supply my own. My current home has the basic humidifier, a summer/winter option on the furnace itself and a control switch with the thermostat upstairs.

The problem I am having is that the Winter option seems to open the valve 100%, summer closes it 100%. Calgary has very low humidity, so in the winter I need it open (the summer setting) yet I should use the control switch to lower the relative humidity, since moisture against glass will fog up and create ice. In the summer, I want it to humidify at full blast, yet the summer setting appears to close the system down 100%. What is going on here?

I want more humidity, so what do I do?
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

what type of humidifier? FLow through....drum or steam?
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
ryangb
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
So previously places I had included high end digital humidifier attached to the furnace. Condos forced me to supply my own. My current home has the basic humidifier, a summer/winter option on the furnace itself and a control switch with the thermostat upstairs.

The problem I am having is that the Winter option seems to open the valve 100%, summer closes it 100%. Calgary has very low humidity, so in the winter I need it open (the summer setting) yet I should use the control switch to lower the relative humidity, since moisture against glass will fog up and create ice. In the summer, I want it to humidify at full blast, yet the summer setting appears to close the system down 100%. What is going on here?

I want more humidity, so what do I do?

Most climates, there is enough humidity in the summer, so the summer setting cuts off the water supply to the humidifier. If you want more humidity, turn the setting to winter.
ryangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
what type of humidifier? FLow through....drum or steam?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangb View Post
Most climates, there is enough humidity in the summer, so the summer setting cuts off the water supply to the humidifier. If you want more humidity, turn the setting to winter.
From the sounds of his post, I would guess its a flow through type like this:

I have the same type and changing the flow dial from Winter to Summer only closes the circular vent and does nothing in regards to electrical or water flow. From my limited furnace knowledge, this stops flow of air from the hot side of the furnace to the ducting - bypassing the furnace filter....is this correct EVERLAST?

Would the summer setting close things off to the hot side of the furnace so when you use your circulation fan it doesn't back flow?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
Nage Waza

Exp:

The problem in Calgary's climate is that there just is not enough humidity, even in the summer (typically). The furnace should say 'high' and 'low' not winter and summer. Pisses me off, since I understood that differently. The colder months have lower humidity, thus I thought I should leave the setting on 'summer' to increase the humidity. That humidifier is really stupid.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

FLOW THROUGH humidifiers require proper installation. They need to be vented to the hot side.

Your humidistat control simply needs to be turned up and you need to check and see if the vent IS OPEN physically on the humidifier.

at full blast your humi will disperse roughly 15 litres of water per day
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
Nage Waza

Exp:

So open is the Winter setting. I will leave it on that, and control the flow with the control switch upstairs.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #8
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hey everyone, I'm digging this old thread back up with a quick question. Do I need to run my humidifier in the summer in calgary? It reads low 30s right now which I think is low but in my old house (just moved into a new one) I would always turn it off in the summer. What's the cp consensus on this? Thanks.
Schraderbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I run two humidifiers in my condo all winter from Nov to April. Generally come April the humidity is enough that I turn them off (~~40%). This spring is different as it has been very dry and my humidity in the condo is < 25% so I have been keeping one going.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:44 AM   #10
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harju View Post
I run two humidifiers in my condo all winter from Nov to April. Generally come April the humidity is enough that I turn them off (~~40%). This spring is different as it has been very dry and my humidity in the condo is < 25% so I have been keeping one going.
Thanks, I have two as well. I think I'm going to keep the main floor with the hardwood going and kill the upstairs.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #11
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you have A/C? If so, you need to turn your humidifier off or it'll freeze up.

If you don't have A/C, are you running your furnace fan during the summer? If you don't, then how would your humidifier run if your furnace isn't doing anything?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #12
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

leaving the basement set to winter will do nothing during the summer.

The humidifer only turns on when the furnace heat is on (NOT the fan) - so you will get zero added humidity in the summer.

I had the same desire as you a few years ago.

What you can do is re-wire the humidifier to come on with the furnace fan and not the furnace heat - But this will also do nothing. I did this (re-wired the humidifier to come on with the furnace fan) My experience below:

The flow through humidifier pad relies on the hot dry air to wick up the moisture - when it's run against a normal fan, it does not add any appreciable moisture to the air - My hygrometer picked up 0% increase in humidity running the pad 24/7 with the recirc fan on. This would waste something like 100gal+ of water a day running 24/7.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #13
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have 2 furnaces running in my house, each with a humidifier and I also have a humidifier running on my main floor and I cannot get the humidity in my house over 35%. Any tips?
Old 11-25-2015, 11:04 AM   #14
AMG_G
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schraderbrau View Post
I have 2 furnaces running in my house, each with a humidifier and I also have a humidifier running on my main floor and I cannot get the humidity in my house over 35%. Any tips?
Doesn't condensation build up at the bottom of your windows? If I set mine over 30% it really wet and freezes so I need to dial it back.
AMG_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:08 AM   #15
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since we are talking humidifiers, can anyone recommend an installer in Calgary? My furnace has one of those cheap little water pan ones (I don't know what they are called), and the water shutoff valve has failed anyway. So I'd like to get a proper humidifier.

Are there any types, brands, companies that I should consider or avoid? My house isn't huge, and my furnace is a run of the mill Lennox that came with the house 13 years ago...

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 11-25-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #16
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_G View Post
Doesn't condensation build up at the bottom of your windows? If I set mine over 30% it really wet and freezes so I need to dial it back.
I'm seeing a bit upstairs in our bedroom but that is about the only place. My biggest worry is we have hard wood floors and I have always read the you want to keep your humidity above 40% or the wood can dry out. Is there truth to that or am I worrying for no reason?
Old 11-25-2015, 03:16 PM   #17
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Since we are talking humidifiers, can anyone recommend an installer in Calgary? My furnace has one of those cheap little water pan ones (I don't know what they are called), and the water shutoff valve has failed anyway. So I'd like to get a proper humidifier.

Are there any types, brands, companies that I should consider or avoid? My house isn't huge, and my furnace is a run of the mill Lennox that came with the house 13 years ago...
You can replace this for $50 and 30 minutes. I did it for a rental and very basic.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rain_e For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #18
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I installed a top of the line Honeywell one myself. It's really not that hard if you read the instructions and have a grasp of how it works.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #19
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schraderbrau View Post
I'm seeing a bit upstairs in our bedroom but that is about the only place. My biggest worry is we have hard wood floors and I have always read the you want to keep your humidity above 40% or the wood can dry out. Is there truth to that or am I worrying for no reason?
I was told by a builder sup that the humidity in your house should be between 30-40% otherwise you'll start seeing sort of waves in your hardwood floors.

Keeping it at that level also helps keep ice buildup on your windows low and prevents wood rot on your window sill and sides. If you have blinds you should lift them a couple inches to help dry out any moisture behind them.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #20
Flames-FanAttic
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

The General Aire 570 and 1042 are your best bet if your are looking for a mid level humidifier. These humidifiers are flow thru which means when there is a call for humidity, there is a continuous stream of water flowing through your humidifier pad and down your drain.

You can purchase this type of humidifier at your local hardware store and they do come with instructions on how to install yourself. The hardest part will be wiring properly to work your furnace.

I have installed many pan type, flow thru and steam humidifiers. If you have any questions regarding the types and how they work or even how to install properly, feel free to PM and I would be happy walk you through the steps and provide you with the information needed to install correctly.