Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #241
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Outside of the nice edits at the end, overall, have to be envious of SN Pacific. Different camera angles (showing coaches after the goal), and then things like getting the Vingeult penalty before the commercial where it took Kerr after the commercial to realize what was going on. Showing the delay on the ice after the second goal. No delay in audio which drove me nuts with Kerr being a split second ahead of the audio. Broadcast so much more polished, and that's just from 3 mins of video clips.

That is also on Shorthouse, so much more balanced, clear, and aware of what's going on the ice, brain not distracted by some useless story or then trying to catch up to the play by play trying to spit out words. Kerr didn't have a good night. First he fumbled words, then got excited after the Flames fight and was fumbling again. Regardless of Kerr, Shorthouse is very good.

Goal calls for both teams are fair and balanced. Refreshing to hear the game called like that. Again, that's just gleaned from 3 minutes of clips.

Don't mind Garrett, yes, a homer, yes a jerk, but he used to be a homer and a jerk when he did Flames broadcasts too.

Last edited by browna; 03-03-2013 at 11:09 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #242
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats to Taylor for his 1st win. Congrats to flames for getting 2 points.

Sorry to say flames got lucky on a tired Vancouver team. It really showed in the 3rd period.

Anyway's 2 points is 2 points, and thats all that matters.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #243
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
What a horrific goal Luongo let in on Cammallari for Calgary first goal. Good for the Flames.
I wonder what funny tweet he has tonite so Canuck fans can forget his terrible performance.

"... but he's funny!!" hahaha what a loser.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #244
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #245
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Old 03-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #246
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Outside of the nice edits at the end, overall, have to be envious of SN Pacific. Different camera angles (showing coaches after the goal), and then things like getting the Vingeult penalty before the commercial where it took Kerr after the commercial to realize what was going on. Showing the delay on the ice after the second goal. No delay in audio which drove me nuts with Kerr being a split second ahead of the audio. Broadcast so much more polished, and that's just from 3 mins of video clips.

That is also on Shorthouse, so much more balanced, clear, and aware of what's going on the ice, brain not distracted by some useless story or then trying to catch up to the play by play trying to spit out words. Kerr didn't have a good night. First he fumbled words, then got excited after the Flames fight and was fumbling again. Regardless of Kerr, Shorthouse is very good.

Goal calls for both teams are fair and balanced. Refreshing to hear the game called like that. Again, that's just gleaned from 3 minutes of clips.

Don't mind Garrett, yes, a homer, yes a jerk, but he used to be a homer and a jerk when he did Flames broadcasts too.
SN Pacific blows SN West out of the water and it's not even close.

Say what you want about the on air talent, that ultimately comes down to personal taste. I think Shorthouse is fantastic, but I'm biased because he's a friend.

I'm talking about the overall production of the broadcast. The fact that the audio on Flames home games isn't matched up is downright shameful. That wouldn't be acceptable on Shaw TV when showing a WHL game, how is it accpetable on Sportsnet West doing a NHL game with big sponsorship dollars? If it's a one game problem, I can understand, but we're going on nearly two seasons of Kerr calling the goal before the puck is actually in. It's ridiculous.

Then there's the intermissions. On home game, SN Pacific does a player interview, break, then a quick recap from the Toronto panel which is brutal, but mandated by Rogers, but then they go to Dan Murphy with a panel of Canuck writers/media who talk Canuck issues. On Sportsnet West, they go back to the Toronto panel and look at league highlights and talk about the early games/issues. I'm watching a flames game, I want Flames talk. Why not have Roger talk to Francis or Sportak or insert Calgary media type here?

TSN and CBC are still better in terms of an overall polished broadcast, but between SN Pac and West, it's a one horse race.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #247
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
SN Pacific blows SN West out of the water and it's not even close.

Say what you want about the on air talent, that ultimately comes down to personal taste. I think Shorthouse is fantastic, but I'm biased because he's a friend.

I'm talking about the overall production of the broadcast. The fact that the audio on Flames home games isn't matched up is downright shameful. That wouldn't be acceptable on Shaw TV when showing a WHL game, how is it accpetable on Sportsnet West doing a NHL game with big sponsorship dollars? If it's a one game problem, I can understand, but we're going on nearly two seasons of Kerr calling the goal before the puck is actually in. It's ridiculous.

Then there's the intermissions. On home game, SN Pacific does a player interview, break, then a quick recap from the Toronto panel which is brutal, but mandated by Rogers, but then they go to Dan Murphy with a panel of Canuck writers/media who talk Canuck issues. On Sportsnet West, they go back to the Toronto panel and look at league highlights and talk about the early games/issues. I'm watching a flames game, I want Flames talk. Why not have Roger talk to Francis or Sportak or insert Calgary media type here?

TSN and CBC are still better in terms of an overall polished broadcast, but between SN Pac and West, it's a one horse race.
Shorthouse is really good, obviously is a Canucks fan, but he's no where near as biased as Hughson and calls a great game.

Garrett on the other hand is terrible. The guy hates everything about Calgary, rips the Flames, which is fine, but he spent so much time ripping Flames fans today, what the hell was that about? To think this guy use to share the booth with Ed Whalen. Now he panders completely to the Canucks. What a two faced bitch. I hope the ghost of Ed Whalen pays him a visit and smacks him with a microphone Stampede Wrestling style!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #248
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder what Jackman's future is, I know he has one year remaining, but seems to be more interested in scoring goals...

It took McGratton one game to endear himself to the fans, and he was no where near the net. Interesting..
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #249
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

AV's whining and b1tching was worth the price of admission, I don't buy his story, referee's in the NHL are not that thin skinned.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #250
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
AV's whining and b1tching was worth the price of admission, I don't buy his story, referee's in the NHL are not that thin skinned.
These same refs did give McGratton a 10 minute for that salute though...

It's fine, the more AV tries to pass off accountability for stuff like this, the less likely they'll recognize any future problems they may have. It'll always be someone elses' fault.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #251
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think he was just upset about that call specifically either. There were a bunch of failed dive attempts during the game, Raymond's being the most blatant. Even Garry Valk astutely pointed out the Canucks aren't getting as many powerplays....
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #252
sergei_makarov
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Someone who was at the game posted earlier that AV did go off on the refs with language, so for him to come out to the media afterwards and completely lie...? Dumb move by him as the refs will hear the sound bites and remember about the time AV made them look stupid.
sergei_makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sergei_makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #253
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Alain Vigneault said on Sportsnet that he did absolutely nothing wrong when he was penalized, and that he said "threw an elbow". I was two rows behind this jackass and he was spouting off like a drunken sailor and went on a tirade Terry Crisp-style. Totally telling his innocent "woe is me" version to the media, but we were there to hear all of it. Swears, yelling, accosting the refs, etc. What a jackass - he got what he deserved.

Also, the game was great to watch, except I had this dufus in front of me:

Of course, what's a Burrows fan without:

- Baseball cap with flat rim flipped up and sticker/tag not removed;
- Those "earrings" that make a hole in the lobe that looks disgusting;
- Obligatory tattoos on the sideburn / side of the head with celtic designs.

What you didn't see what the words "PRIDE" and "RESPECT" tattooed on his forearms and the multiple rings on his fingers with shiny skulls.

Ugh. A loss would have been too much for me.
That zit/mole on the back of his head would have driven me insane. In fact, I would have gone to the ushers and made up some lie about him pointer lasers at the players or something just to get him kicked out for his disgusting molezit.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #254
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

First off. I'm glad this team, our team, my team, showed some pride tonight. Now it's easier for media to talk about the win (and an iginla trade possibility) than bash Feaster's massive screw up. He needed that win more than anybody, and his team came through for him.

Secondly, I listened to Canucks radio post game. They blamed the refs for a lot. I didn't watch the game, so they might have a point. But at what point will they acknowledge that the Canucks diving, and other antics, are a reason why they don't get the benefit of the doubt on penalty calls.

I kind of hope AV gets a fine for saying "god damn" in the PG presser. Would be funny.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #255
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bouwmeester is on 45pt pace currently.

I get the impression that since his first couple outstanding games he had early, coupled with Hartley's encouragement, pointing out how that was the player he thought he would be, he's really worked hard to maintain that level of play. It seems like he really wants to repair the bad rep he's received since coming here, hence the emotion he's shown after mistakes, or missed plays, often coming back and doing something noticeable the next shift.

Jay looked Awesome tonight skating up with the rushes (but not getting caught out of position), taking big shots at every chance, and crunching the Sedins a couple times. Also notable that he's kept a respectable +/- thru 20gp, despite continuing to face difficult opposition. I think it's safe to say that to this point in the season, he's regained his form of old.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #256
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
I don't think he was just upset about that call specifically either. There were a bunch of failed dive attempts during the game, Raymond's being the most blatant. Even Garry Valk astutely pointed out the Canucks aren't getting as many powerplays....
Hopefully its the same effect as the Canucks run to the finals where the Refs got sick of the Canucks BS antics and didn't call anything.

One of the greatest moments in hockey season was Marchand punching Sedin in the face multiple times and the ref taking his time examining his skate laces. It was so pro wrestling

Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #257
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Hopefully its the same effect as the Canucks run to the finals where the Refs got sick of the Canucks BS antics and didn't call anything.
The funny thing is, Vancouver could have been on the PK for more time than they were. The refs even let a few of their stick infractions go.

Vigneault can suck it. Did Hartley complain about the head shot Stajan took vs. Minnesota postgame?
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #258
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We know that AV is going to be dishonest in that interview, he's the leagues biggest cry baby since Burke was let go.

I hope he enjoys the fine that he's going to get.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #259
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4acup View Post
First off. I'm glad this team, our team, my team, showed some pride tonight. Now it's easier for media to talk about the win (and an iginla trade possibility) than bash Feaster's massive screw up. He needed that win more than anybody, and his team came through for him.

Secondly, I listened to Canucks radio post game. They blamed the refs for a lot. I didn't watch the game, so they might have a point. But at what point will they acknowledge that the Canucks diving, and other antics, are a reason why they don't get the benefit of the doubt on penalty calls.

I kind of hope AV gets a fine for saying "god damn" in the PG presser. Would be funny.
It was very evenly reffed. Only a couple powerplays per side. Sure, other officiating tandems may have found a few more things to whistle down tonight, but the guys let them play for the most part... hard to complain for the sake of either team.

Maybe the Canucks/AV/fans should seek out an honest man's hockey response, and admit that they could work on their penalty killing to prevent such an outcome?

Rather than make it sound as if they depend on favorable game calls to secure wins. Aren't 'good teams' supposed to be able to fight through such situations? Meh, typical. They're perfect right? It can't be them..
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #260
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergei_makarov View Post
Someone who was at the game posted earlier that AV did go off on the refs with language, so for him to come out to the media afterwards and completely lie...? Dumb move by him as the refs will hear the sound bites and remember about the time AV made them look stupid.
Yeah that is going to come back and bite him big time with the refs! He even said god damn during the interview. Like he didn't say any f bombs about the elbow......

Thank you Canucks for giving us guys that are easy to hate! We can always count on you.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote