Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #1981
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Just want to add that the Victoria Park parcel of land is way too small for a new arena let alone an entertainment district. Also just want to add that the same problems that make the Saddledome a bad location would still exist, just moved two blocks north. Just a horrible location. Based on this location the Flames new building would not have mass transit access directly to the building and not require going for a long walk outdoors to reach the arena. The only other Canadian building with that honor? Winnipeg's MTS Centre. Now that's the building and city you want to emulate!
The green line is supposed to go immediately alongside this parcel of land.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...-line/map.aspx

And "Update (February 2017): The Beltline alignment is still under evaluation. Visit this blog post for more information." sure sounds like "we may rearrange this to accommodate an arena". Especially considering one of the alternatives under evaluation in that blog post is an underground section right at this parcel of land.

edit: missed the entire last page of posting when I replied to this hanging curveball!

Last edited by Frequitude; 04-25-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #1982
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
What a load of crap. There's plenty of examples of how history is preserved in this city, particularly from an infrastructure perspective. The Stampede is an aggressively promoted and commercialized homage to this area's history as well. Combine that with the year-round acceptable 'western cowboy culture' that permeates this city and ways in which we promote it, Calgary shoves history down people's throats more than many other cities.

Also, just because something is historic doesn't mean it need preserving. The Corral is outdated, underused, and, really, should be removed to make way for more modern facilities.
Whoa sorry not at all what I meant in terms of buildings. More people I know in Calgary complain about the Western culture than not. And I've never understood it. I have several friends that flat out think the Stampede is embarrassing, and I've seen this Western culture distaste hundreds of times on this board. From names of places, to Flames anthem singers. I would debate you on "year-round acceptable"... that's not the opinion I've experienced in my 30 years living here.
Just my opinion, but I don't think it's that far off base.

Probably because hardly anyone is actually born here. We are a rare breed.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #1983
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scotiabank Corral. I can get used to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #1984
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Seconded.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #1985
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
The name would probably end with "Place" or "Centre". Something generic like that. The problem with calling it the *Advertiser* Saddledome or *Advertiser* Corral is that a lot of fans would avoid using the advertisers name when referring to it.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #1986
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rogers Corral is already in use in Toronto. That's where they house all of the excess pundits they roll out on trade deadline day.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #1987
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Stockyard...
Old 04-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #1988
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It would be nice if they can add a entertainment district around the arena, from what I saw, the new arena in Victoria park, is going to be in the middle of no where. Can someone good with computer skils make a mock of what it would look like.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #1989
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing with modern arenas is that so many of them look the same from the inside. All have one level of bowl seating, followed by suites, another small club level bowl, suites, and then nosebleeds/press level. They don't have character like a baseball (and to a lesser extent, football) stadium can. I understand why all of them follow the same blueprint dimensions because the current trend maximizes revenue.

I figure that the new arena will look the same as Rogers Place, Little Caesars Arena, and any other recent centre does from the inside, but would be nice if they could do some unique touches or substitutions to make it feel unique from any other venue. It would be sweet if the architects could figure out a way to be pioneers in the new trend of arena building. The sporting world has changed now that it's catered more to the fans who watch on TV rather than in person, so teams have to encourage fans to still buy tickets to watch the game live. The in-game experience is the big component of that.

So considering CSEC should be doing what they can do give the new arena personal character, I think it would be a good idea to actually add a western/stampede touch to the name since it's on Stampede property - the western cultural hub of the city. TELUS Corral, WestJet Corral, Scotiabank Corral does come off the tongue well. And it's just a name.

But the design of the building itself should be contemporary. No barn design.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #1990
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

biggest issue I have with all this now is the Flames/stampede & City all missed the boat on being able to really develop this into a great area.

If this option was really considered over the past couple years the land the youth campus is being built on could have also been included in the swap for land and give 2X the amount to be developed into a greater vision.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #1991
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
The name would probably end with "Place" or "Centre". Something generic like that. The problem with calling it the *Advertiser* Saddledome or *Advertiser* Corral is that a lot of fans would avoid using the advertisers name when referring to it.
Good point actually...
Hope that isn't the case.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #1992
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

From the amateur presentation of Calgary NEXT to the quick adopting of this proposal by the city I feel like Calgary NEXT was just for show the whole time and was used to push the city into this Vic park proposal.
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 04-25-2017, 10:21 AM   #1993
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
It would be nice if they can add a entertainment district around the arena, from what I saw, the new arena in Victoria park, is going to be in the middle of no where. Can someone good with computer skils make a mock of what it would look like.
Duh:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...61&postcount=1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #1994
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone know how much Rogers is paying the Oilers for the naming rights?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #1995
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Inner city, 2 blocks from the CBD is not Balzac.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #1996
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Thank you Frequitude, from looking at that map, is it safe the arena will not be in the middle of no where?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #1997
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
The thing with modern arenas is that so many of them look the same from the inside. All have one level of bowl seating, followed by suites, another small club level bowl, suites, and then nosebleeds/press level. They don't have character like a baseball (and to a lesser extent, football) stadium can. I understand why all of them follow the same blueprint dimensions because the current trend maximizes revenue.

I figure that the new arena will look the same as Rogers Place, Little Caesars Arena, and any other recent centre does from the inside, but would be nice if they could do some unique touches or substitutions to make it feel unique from any other venue. It would be sweet if the architects could figure out a way to be pioneers in the new trend of arena building. The sporting world has changed now that it's catered more to the fans who watch on TV rather than in person, so teams have to encourage fans to still buy tickets to watch the game live. The in-game experience is the big component of that.

So considering CSEC should be doing what they can do give the new arena personal character, I think it would be a good idea to actually add a western/stampede touch to the name since it's on Stampede property - the western cultural hub of the city. TELUS Corral, WestJet Corral, Scotiabank Corral does come off the tongue well. And it's just a name.

But the design of the building itself should be contemporary. No barn design.
The arena won't be on Stampede land in the end. The city is proposing giving the Stampede the land the Sadddledome is on in exchange for these lots.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #1998
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just as an interesting FYI, 17th Avenue is going to be extended over the tracks into the Stampede Grounds in order to allow for easier access and development of the Stampede property with restaurants, retail, etc. I'm assuming it also ties in to the rumoured convention centre expansion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #1999
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

When is the corral set to be demolished? Next year?
Old 04-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #2000
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Maybe, 1/10th , but 10x the presentation effectiveness?

Starting from the south end of the tracks, bury the C-Train from cemetary hill (under 25th Ave) then rise above grade, 50m before the river above ground utilizing existing bridge. Then continue above grade for just the next 50m north of the river, until burying it all the way 12th ave.

This allows; better intersection at 25th ave, and perhaps the radical idea of connecting 17th ave with Olympic Way.

The real estate of burying the C-Train line, affords space for new retail above the line as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Just as an interesting FYI, 17th Avenue is going to be extended over the tracks into the Stampede Grounds in order to allow for easier access and development of the Stampede property with restaurants, retail, etc. I'm assuming it also ties in to the rumoured convention centre expansion.
Awesome! Muta, is there a link to that planning? I recall, the city has had conversations around burying the C-Train line under 25th ave. Could make it a heckuva roller coaster for those 1,000 meters or so
Closed Thread