Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #81
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
The New Rijksmuseum - a behind the scenes look at the troubled Rijksmuseum makeover, art, egos and Amsterdam civic politics. Not what you'd expect a museum documentary to be.

The Redemption of Jake the Snake. Sometimes difficult to watch Jake's battle with addiction but inspiring to watch him work with DDP through his yoga program and regaining his health and his life.
Where can one watch the Jake doc?
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #82
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been 21 years now since the genocide in Rwanda. Will always have respect for roméo dallaire. Rwanda will scars ever heal on YouTube
doesn't focus on dallaire specifically, but recounts some of the worst atrocities in modern history.

Last edited by calumniate; 01-23-2016 at 02:19 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #83
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I'm only seeing it available rent or purchase on iTunes. Not available on Netflix, Canadian or otherwise at the moment.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:07 PM   #84
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I managed to get the title wrong, it's The Resurrection of Jake the Snake.

I watched it on KODI. It's also available on iTunes.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #85
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I watched Narco Cultura - really interesting doc on the Narco culture both in music and way of life in Mexico. Pretty scary look at Juarez, Mexico and the hopelessness that exists in that city
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:40 AM   #86
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm watching Auschwitz: The Nazis and the Final Solution on Netflix.

It's very good and very sobering. It's hours long in several parts.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:46 PM   #87
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
I watched Narco Cultura - really interesting doc on the Narco culture both in music and way of life in Mexico. Pretty scary look at Juarez, Mexico and the hopelessness that exists in that city
Thanks for this, just watched it and was fascinated at seeing something we hear so much about. Seeing the families just bring their kids out to the street to see homicide investigations the same way families in Calgary would bring their kids out to see a deer family in the neighbors yard was shocking.

The other crazy moment was when they showed the forensic team photo and then started whiting out the faces of the guys who had been killed in the last year.....all right before or after shifts. The video of them talking with the film crew inside the office courtyard at night as they're explaining how dangerous it is to leave work and then you hear gun shots within a block or two and no one flinches, then more shots and THEN they decide to ask for help and make sure it's safe to leave, but still very casual considering the threat.....wow.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:50 PM   #88
jayswin

Exp:

nm - don't want to give too much away to those who may watch. Even though it's a documentary and not Star Wars, it could still annoy some.

Last edited by jayswin; 01-24-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #89
jayswin

Exp:

I'd definitely recommend that to anyone that has an extra 1.5 hours to kill. Although, there's lots of graphic footage of bodies if people are squeamish.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #90
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Auschwitz: The Nazis and The Final Solution
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446610/

I just finished this after marathoning it on Netflix. Excellent series done by the BBC. Really well done. I highly recommend it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:42 PM   #91
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shoah would be the definitive documentary on the holocaust, it's a grim 9 hour series of interviews with survivors, both Jewish, German and Polish.
I watched it in parts over a week several years ago, I won't say it was enjoyable but nothing will give you the insight into the concept of the banality of evil as this film.
It is as profound a piece of film as I've ever seen.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:30 PM   #92
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

In every documentary I've seen on the Holocaust, the most shocking things to me aren't the atrocities at the hands of the Germans as they're well explored, but the level of both complicity and participation in occupied countries. Stories from Eastern Europe where locals rounded up Jews they'd known forever to stand in front of a pit and be shot in front of the whole town. Absolutely scary how quickly compassion can disappear
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:57 PM   #93
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
In every documentary I've seen on the Holocaust, the most shocking things to me aren't the atrocities at the hands of the Germans as they're well explored, but the level of both complicity and participation in occupied countries. Stories from Eastern Europe where locals rounded up Jews they'd known forever to stand in front of a pit and be shot in front of the whole town. Absolutely scary how quickly compassion can disappear
Vichy France was enthusiastic in their rounding up and deportations.
Ironically Italy under Mussolini refused to round up their Jews, it wasn't until Il Duce's government fell and the Germans took over that Italian Jews were killed.
Denmark almost as a nation decided to save its Jews and acted in a coordinated manner to spirit thousands of Jewish families away to the coast were the fishing fleet sailed them to Sweden.

On the whole I have little faith in humanity but every now and then we actually act like we have a soul.
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #94
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

This may be a little crass (perhaps not even the right word) but I think I know all I ever need or want to know about the holocaust. Do I know about every family affected, or every soldier that followed the wrong order, or every scientific experiment, etc..? No. Do I need to to understand the terribleness? I don't think so.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #95
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
This may be a little crass (perhaps not even the right word) but I think I know all I ever need or want to know about the holocaust. Do I know about every family affected, or every soldier that followed the wrong order, or every scientific experiment, etc..? No. Do I need to to understand the terribleness? I don't think so.
I might agree if it wasn't for the spectacle of Trump v Cruz trying to out hate each other down south.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #96
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah true. I certainly don't mean we should forget about it. It's just more like, is there anything new to tell? Oh, just another story of Jewish people and their sympathizers being tortured and killed? Yeah, saw it, it's awful, horrific, and pretty much every bad word you can think of. Don't really need to watch more of it.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #97
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched "Call Me Lucky", the film about Barry Crimmin by Bobcat Goldthwait.

That documentary had such potential. The background of Crimmins and his story and what he did. All of that would have made for an excellent film. I really felt the documentary could have focused more on his crusade against pedophiles and AOL, but it was mostly a footnote in the story. It was more about how angry Barry Crimmins is and why he is angry. And it's reasonable that he is an angry guy, but the documentary had more compelling things to tell, and instead it really wasn't as engaging as something like his story could have been. I was also disappointed because of listening to Goldthwait on the Nerdist had me pretty excited to see it. Also a touching tribute to Robin Williams that Goldthwait gave on his anniversary of his death.

Anyway, in short - Bobcat Goldthwait talking about making his documentary on the Nerdist podcast was vastly more entertaining than the actual documentary.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #98
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

The holocaust is a difficult thing to delve into. I still haven't watched Schindler's List (I did PVR it the other day, just need to get my courage up to watch it ). I know it will upset me to the point of tears, even though I have no Jewish background at all. Just unfathomable to me that this could happen.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #99
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
The holocaust is a difficult thing to delve into. I still haven't watched Schindler's List (I did PVR it the other day, just need to get my courage up to watch it ). I know it will upset me to the point of tears, even though I have no Jewish background at all. Just unfathomable to me that this could happen.
Veering away from the documentaries a bit, but The Pianist is also a great holocaust film. I recommend.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #100
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry for the hijack, gang.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote