Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2024, 08:23 AM   #2001
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wow. 9 points in 22 games with Vancouver, and only 4 in the last 15.

I don’t wish injury on anyone of course, but for his sake I “hope” that’s what it is. Whatever has happened, it sure is costly.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:37 AM   #2002
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Still, he walked away from a staggering amount of money. Insane.
What concerns me is that this amount of money and term was ever even offered. He wasn't exactly shooting out the lights here this season either.

Obviously its particularly intriguing as to where Lindholm winds up because, yeah, I think he's cost himself a lot of money.

And where I'd normally blame the Agent for not having his finger on the pulse of the market...here? Lindholm's play is largely responsible.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:41 AM   #2003
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

This trade is ####ing madness.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 09:10 AM   #2004
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This trade is ####ing madness.
Haha. Yup. I agree. I like your take on it. Short. Succinct. To the point.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-26-2024, 09:23 AM   #2005
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
Wow. 9 points in 22 games with Vancouver, and only 4 in the last 15.

I don’t wish injury on anyone of course, but for his sake I “hope” that’s what it is. Whatever has happened, it sure is costly.
For reference Kuzmenko has 8 points in 18 games and has been bounced around the lineup. 5 points in his last 15 games.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:25 AM   #2006
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
For reference Kuzmenko has 8 points in 18 games and has been bounced around the lineup. 5 points in his last 15 games.
He was also sick as hell for like 2 weeks.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:26 AM   #2007
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What concerns me is that this amount of money and term was ever even offered. He wasn't exactly shooting out the lights here this season either.

Obviously its particularly intriguing as to where Lindholm winds up because, yeah, I think he's cost himself a lot of money.

And where I'd normally blame the Agent for not having his finger on the pulse of the market...here? Lindholm's play is largely responsible.
I believe the offer was 8.6 for 8 years.

Conory said he knew right away that we would be trading Lindholm.

He demanded 76 million, we came back with 68. He may now get get 45 over 7 years, and that is if some GM is crazy.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:31 AM   #2008
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post

He demanded 76 million, we came back with 68. He may now get get 45 over 7 years, and that is if some GM is crazy.
Yeah. I wouldnt give him that. I wouldnt give him anywhere close to that.

Someone else said it first, but 'Backlund money' and probably Backlund term.

Considering his age and lack of production, he is looking at 'Nearly 30-year-old Defensive 3rd line centre' money.

I was all for trading him. I loved Zebulon during his time here, he was a good soldier, but he just lost something at some point and his contract demands for both dollars and term, all things considered, just weren't realistic which is why I was all aboard the 'Trade Lindholm Train' since the summer.

Could you imagine having that contract for this edition of Lindholm on our books in conjunction with the rest of the crap that idiot Treliving saddled us with?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 09:35 AM   #2009
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Backlund will ask out again. You want to be Captain but at what point do you say #### it, I want to win?
Old 03-26-2024, 09:37 AM   #2010
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
I wonder if Backlund will ask out again. You want to be Captain but at what point do you say #### it, I want to win?
I dunno. I think he's got 3 years here. He seems good so far. Maybe staying in one place with his young family is more important than winning?

Nobody says he cant play out his contract here and go Cup Hunting after that, but he'd have to do it more the 'Hossa Method' (the smart way) than the 'Iggy Way.'

Who knows?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 09:39 AM   #2011
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
I was all for trading him. I loved Zebulon during his time here, he was a good soldier, but he just lost something at some point
"Something"... that's an odd way to spell peak Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Tkachuk. I'm only half joking... ultimately I think Lindholm is a complementary player. Put him on a line with Stars and he'll look like a Star put him on a line with something other then stars and he'll look like something other then a star.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 09:44 AM   #2012
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny makarov View Post
an a for vancouver? Lol. Must be a homer article. C+
lol. Revised trade grade for the Canucks. F-
Old 03-26-2024, 09:53 AM   #2013
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
I dunno. I think he's got 3 years here. He seems good so far. Maybe staying in one place with his young family is more important than winning?
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Backs retires with the Flames (and perhaps selfishly I want him to)... I'm sure he wants to win a cup (all these guys do) but he's had a mostly great relationship with this city since he was 16 years old. That's pretty much 20 years, hard to walk away from that.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:53 AM   #2014
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://thewincolumn.ca/2022/09/26/a...022-23-season/

Here is his player card from the 21/22 season. His EV defence is listed at 32%. He had an elite season finishing, but he was easily the 3rd wheel benefiting from huge seasons from 2 stars at the time.

McDavid has turned Hyman into a 50 goal scorer. This is a guy who was scoring in the teens before.

He was a good player here, but he fell off a cliff.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:53 AM   #2015
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Last year at around this time he made it pretty clear what he is interested in and it looks like he's having a pretty good time this year so he isn't going anywhere soon.
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:56 AM   #2016
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
It would be stupid for anyone to sign him for term.
I'm hoping that Flames management has had a good, honest discussion together on the important takeaways from the Lindholm case, why/how they came to the conclusion that extending him at the contract they offered made the most sense and identifying/correcting the source(s) they used to support that conclusion. It's important that, though uncomfortable, they address the elephant in the room that whoever from the group voted on the 'extend' side got it wrong and they learn from this.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:57 AM   #2017
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lindholm strikes me as a guy who is acutely vulnerable to expectations. I'm thinking vividly of him getting his 40th goal in the season where he, JG and MT were shooting the lights out. It seemed like as soon as he started trying to get 40 goals instead of just playing hockey, he lost focus.

Now he's playing for a contract, or to justify his trade value, or both, and he's lost focus.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:14 AM   #2018
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
His contract is essentially set up that way. On Jan 1 2026 his NMC is supplemented by a 15 team no trade clause… essentially opening up half the league as options depending how the Flames look.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:44 AM   #2019
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You don't show a strong desire to be captain and re-sign for a few years if you aren't committed to staying. I doubt he would have been so delusional that he would have thought this team was going to be a contender when he inked that contract and highly doubt this season has any effect on him beyond hoping they can bounce back next year.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:01 PM   #2020
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post

Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote