Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:00 AM   #1801
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Give it enough time, McDavid will get impatient and lose his compete and desire to put it on the line for the oil.

I'm curious if he signs a deal longer than 6 years when he's due.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #1802
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
At their pace since November, it's started. It's just a bit slower. They are 7-11 in that time frame. They won't make the POs at that pace.

Calgary was 9-9 (with one OTL). And started the month 1-5.
5-3-2 in their last 10. Over 82 games that's a 98 point pace. Would you say that's not getting them in the playoffs?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #1803
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
5-3-2 in their last 10. Over 82 games that's a 98 point pace. Would you say that's not getting them in the playoffs?
I'm looking at their play over a longer period. 18 games since the beginning of November.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #1804
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Convenient that you disregarded the previous 10
games where they went 3-6-1. Unless McDavid are Talbot are lights out that team takes an L most of the time.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:02 AM   #1805
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering that the west and the pacific specifically are weak, i have a tough time seeing Edmonton fall out. Barring a McDavid injury the Oilers are at least a coin flip for the playoffs if not better.

It wasn't going to last forever. Winning the McDavid lotto just made it inevitable.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #1806
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Considering that the west and the pacific specifically are weak, i have a tough time seeing Edmonton fall out. Barring a McDavid injury the Oilers are at least a coin flip for the playoffs if not better.

It wasn't going to last forever. Winning the McDavid lotto just made it inevitable.
I don't think the playoffs are even close to being a given.

There are 11 teams in the west that are .500 or better (VAN, ARI and COL look to be out of it).

The Oilers are 4 games over.

LA and ANA are 3 games over. And NAS is 2.

Then you have CAL, WPG, DAL all sitting at even. And IMO, all 3 are better teams than EDM.

The Oilers started the season 7-1-0, on a really easy schedule where they ran into a few teams that got off to slow starts. Since then, they are 7-9-3, which I think more accurately reflects who they are.

If LA and ANA pass them, and 2 of NAS, CAL, DAL and WPG, the Oilers will be on the outside looking in.

Every single one of the teams behind the Oilers can catch them, just with the games they play against each other.

Not only is it possible, it could happen by Christmas.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #1807
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I actually think it would be great for both the Flames and Oilers to make the playoffs. the chances of them meeting in the playoffs would probably be fairly low.

But the Oilers have some success. Oiler fans bloat more then usual. OMG they screech, we're total contenders, its not a matter of if, but how many. Then they go to every hockey board to boast.

Meanwhile Mac-T is rolled out as the brains behind Chia and the savior of the Oilers. Lowe rolls out with a cigar and brags. See I told you I know about winning.

Over the summer the Oilers hype it, this is the Cup year, we have the Eber, The Nuge and the holy diver, the hockey trinity if you must know.

Then next year, they start to stink again, because teams take them more seriously and crush them. The foundation of their duabe and patchjob crachs, and their lack of organizational depth become apparent. On the contract front MacDavid parts the seas on his way to a monster contract. Draisaitl and Nurse all get huge raises and they can't sustain their payroll under the cap.

And then

Sorry folks, its another rebuild, our window to win was like 12 months long.

The city explodes in rage, Oiler fans eating humiliation on every board that they went too shriking "We told you so" and "OMG dynasty on the way meep meep". the poop sandwich gets bigger and bigger and threatens to consume the city of edmonton. the army is called in and they decide to save the rest of the country by nuking Edmonton, with extreme prejudice.

Everyone wins . . . except for Edmonton of course.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #1808
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Convenient that you disregarded the previous 10
games where they went 3-6-1. Unless McDavid are Talbot are lights out that team takes an L most of the time.
Nah. Most standings pages show a team's record over the past 10 games so that's all I did.

I think the discussion just highlites that regardless of what segment a person looks at, they're all just snapshots. After 82 games a team is what their record says they are.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #1809
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I actually think it would be great for both the Flames and Oilers to make the playoffs. the chances of them meeting in the playoffs would probably be fairly low.

But the Oilers have some success. Oiler fans bloat more then usual. OMG they screech, we're total contenders, its not a matter of if, but how many. Then they go to every hockey board to boast.

Meanwhile Mac-T is rolled out as the brains behind Chia and the savior of the Oilers. Lowe rolls out with a cigar and brags. See I told you I know about winning.

Over the summer the Oilers hype it, this is the Cup year, we have the Eber, The Nuge and the holy diver, the hockey trinity if you must know.

Then next year, they start to stink again, because teams take them more seriously and crush them. The foundation of their duabe and patchjob crachs, and their lack of organizational depth become apparent. On the contract front MacDavid parts the seas on his way to a monster contract. Draisaitl and Nurse all get huge raises and they can't sustain their payroll under the cap.

And then

The city explodes in rage, Oiler fans eating humiliation on every board that they went too shriking "We told you so" and "OMG dynasty on the way meep meep". the poop sandwich gets bigger and bigger and threatens to consume the city of edmonton. the army is called in and they decide to save the rest of the country by nuking Edmonton, with extreme prejudice.

I've been to Edmonton. Would've sworn it had already been nuked.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #1810
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

And then

underrated post
Old 12-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #1811
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nah. Most standings pages show a team's record over the past 10 games so that's all I did.

I think the discussion just highlites that regardless of what segment a person looks at, they're all just snapshots. After 82 games a team is what their record says they are.
Sure bigger sample size = more info usually. In this case, though I tend to ignore the hot start, bouyed as it was by playing the equally non-representative version of the Flames.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #1812
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDavid suffered, and in the third period rose again, he descended into Edmonton, he is seated at the right hand of Gretzky, and he shall play again. Likely not with glory.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #1813
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I don't think the playoffs are even close to being a given.

I put their odds at a coin flip or a little better. How did that become a given?
Old 12-05-2016, 01:38 PM   #1814
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
I put their odds at a coin flip or a little better. How did that become a given?
I wasn't suggesting that you said it was, though I can see how you interpreted it that way.

Sometimes people quote a post in order to continue a conversation, but that doesn't mean the entire post is directed entirely, and only, to said quoted post.

Relax, and enjoy the inevitable.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #1815
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Old 12-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #1816
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I agree with the Cap'n. It's good if they make the playoff (and get chewed up). Gives the players due for contracts all the ammo to ask the moon and stars.

McBieber, Drai, and Nurse's contracts are going to kill them. Particularly since McDavid's will come after the latter two, and is the one they most desperately need, while being the most expensive.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #1817
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The 10 games prior they were 3-6-1. Over 82 games that is 57 points. Somewhere around 78 points if you combine both 10 game segments. Can't fault them for winning 7 out of the blocks but I think we are seeing the real Oilers now. Inconsistent (and no good) has been their calling card for a decade.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #1818
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
5-3-2 in their last 10.
5-8-2 in their last 15.

Although the other feller discounting OTL is off his gourd too.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #1819
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
They're 0-0-1 in their last 1. Over 82 games that's an 82 point pace. I'd say that's not getting them in the playoffs.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #1820
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

this thread has become no good.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread