Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #4001
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Quoted because I also am interested in hearing this.

Gallagher was mainly referring to the poor Habs performance against us more than anything...sorry to burst bubbles...

But still:

E = NG
Old 03-12-2017, 09:31 PM   #4002
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone290 View Post

These categories says it all.
Wow, so after tonight's games, not only has Talbot played the most minutes in the league, but he's played 370 mins more than the goaltender with the 2nd most (Andersen).

And they don't have a backup. Good grief.

Last edited by The Fonz; 03-12-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:31 PM   #4003
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

probably the best post I've seen today

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saXon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #4004
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Kiprusoff had seven straight season of 70+ games for the Flames. The only two out of his nine in Calgary where he didn't hit those marks was his first and last season.

Though in 2003-2004 he ended up with 65 (regular + post season).

A bonkers amount of games.
I actually think it burned him out for the playoffs as he was only so-so in playoff series post-2004.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #4005
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Did anyone else read that article by Terry Jones after the Pens loss? There's certainly a weird vibe to Edmonton media. It's like they're nervously typing as if Oilers management is reading and will punish them if they don't pump the fans up during tough stretches. What a crazy article, as he waxes poetic about old performances and hockey in general.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/03/1...ainst-penguins

Quote:
After Friday night’s greatest hockey game in Edmonton since June 17 2006, going to Rogers Place Saturday morning prior to Sunday’s game against the Montreal Canadiens seemed like going to practice between playoff games.
Quote:
Friday night’s 3-2 shootout loss to the Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins was definitely the greatest game, yet, played in the new arena and quite possibly was the best game played this entire season in the NHL.
Quote:
Your correspondent went to practice Saturday to take the temperature of the team to see if a theory I developed overnight might be accurate.
First of all, in terms of proceeding to the playoffs, I saw that as a win, not a loss.
Quote:
Yes the Oilers lost in the shootout. But there are no shootouts in the playoffs. And if they kept playing that game, the way Edmonton grew into it, the Oilers almost certainly would have won it.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #4006
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised Terry Jones is still writing quite frankly. Time has not been kind to his competence at writing articles. Good game for sure but he's crowing like it's a Stanley Cup preview where the Oilers would come out on top. Just lame.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #4007
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
https://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/s...202001&page=21

who cares about the PGT, the Oil Fans GDT from tonight's game, starting at this page is the real comedy show.
Wow the full on panic has set in. Would feel bad if not for the fact their fanbase is awful. They are fully convinced they are missing the playoffs and talking about the offseason at this point.

Wow, what an awful experience it must be to cheer for that team.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #4008
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I actually think it burned him out for the playoffs as he was only so-so in playoff series post-2004.
yeah, IIRC there was talk here about Kipper possibly getting burned out...

it was always tough for us to find good goalies though. Kipper was a phenomenal of course, but since then its been hit and miss.

Elliot is playing great, however, if i had a choice, it'd be nice to get him some rest while at the same time getting CJ some playing time...

of course, that's in an ideal world... gotta keep going with Elliot while he's hot and while we are still fighting for a spot
Old 03-12-2017, 09:50 PM   #4009
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Did anyone else read that article by Terry Jones after the Pens loss? There's certainly a weird vibe to Edmonton media. It's like they're nervously typing as if Oilers management is reading and will punish them if they don't pump the fans up during tough stretches. What a crazy article, as he waxes poetic about old performances and hockey in general.
Separate issue: I'm surprised Terry Jones didn't retire from Postmedia. He's been there forever. There's not going to be much left in the way of buy-out packages.

Maybe he's looking for a PR gig with the Oilers, like George Johnson has with the Flames? That's the only thing I can think of.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #4010
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

"Your correspondent went to practice Saturday to take the temperature of the team to see if a theory I developed overnight might be accurate.
First of all, in terms of proceeding to the playoffs, I saw that as a win, not a loss."

"Yes the Oilers lost in the shootout. But there are no shootouts in the playoffs. And if they kept playing that game, the way Edmonton grew into it, the Oilers almost certainly would have won it."
Old 03-12-2017, 09:59 PM   #4011
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone missed the post game call in show on CHED you can listen to it here.

https://omny.fm/shows/inside-sports/...ime-openline-1

Some gold

Edit: First call takes place around 14:00

Last edited by jg13; 03-12-2017 at 10:10 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #4012
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Wow, so after tonight's games, not only has Talbot played the most minutes in the league, but he's played 370 mins more than the goaltender with the 2nd most (Andersen).

And they don't have a backup. Good grief.
And now that the Oilers are fighting for a wildcard spot, and soon a playoff spot altogether, I can't see any scenario where they don't play Talbot in every game for the rest of the season.

Not to mention McDavid playing 25 minutes a night.

Even their own fans on HF are frustrated that it looks like the team has basically given up trying and are totally fine riding McDavid's coat tails for offence. The pressure on him is only going to mount as their ability to hold a playoff spot becomes more precarious.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 03-12-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #4013
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

Let's not forget this is the same organization that went whining like crying children to the flames, rogers and the NHL when the fan 960 made fun of them for giving up a 10 spot a few years ago. Or was it 11?
Old 03-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #4014
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

LOL... he's the hockey equivalent of #FakeNews...

"Best game in the NHL this year"?!

Not. Even. Close.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #4015
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
LOL... he's the hockey equivalent of #FakeNews...

"Best game in the NHL this year"?!

Not. Even. Close.
No kidding, game of the year to me did involve the Pens but not the Oilers:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #4016
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Separate issue: I'm surprised Terry Jones didn't retire from Postmedia. He's been there forever. There's not going to be much left in the way of buy-out packages.

Maybe he's looking for a PR gig with the Oilers, like George Johnson has with the Flames? That's the only thing I can think of.
Terry Jones - Information Minister
Old 03-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #4017
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rob Tychkowski ✔ @Sun_Tychkowski
“At the start of the year if you asked us if we’d be in this spot… I’d take it after five years not even being close."

Classic loser attitude from Ryan Nothing-Happens
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #4018
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I will enjoy the day when Kevin Lowe demands that McDavid pay back his bonus money so the Oilers can trade him for fair market value.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #4019
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing new from Jones, this is his usual tripe that he has been writing for years. A pat on the back from Oilers executive or management is all it takes and he takes his job as unofficial mouthpiece very seriously. He as a writer, writes well enough to blur that line for the common folk but article like this he just can't help himself, and the KoolAID prevails.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:40 PM   #4020
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Kiprusoff was great vs Anaheim in 06, and outstanding vs Detroit in 07.
Closed Thread