Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #3001
Soulless Sisters
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Besides, why is this forum even talking about the Oilers making the playoffs this season like it's a done deal? There are still 33 games left on their schedule. If the Toronto Maple Leafs of 12/14 showed us anything, it's that teams can have monumental collapses.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:32 PM   #3002
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I'll pretty much guarantee Oilers in the playoffs this year. Hate to admit it, but they finally figured things out.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #3003
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best part of hating the Oilers will always be having another team to cheer for.
That way I can cheer for the Flames and who ever the Oilers are playing.
It doesn't matter if the Oilers break a 10 year self imposed playoff drought, Because Edmonton will always be, and has always been-- No Good.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 01:40 PM   #3004
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Same with the Blackhawks.

Great username btw
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Just like the Pens getting malkin Crosby and MAF, noones going to remember in a couple years. It was a really horrible time. Hopefully it was worth the wait.
I love this new talking point. Love the fact being in a playoff spot in January means they're mentioned in the same breath as the Blackhawks and Penguins.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #3005
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulless Sisters View Post
Chiarelli's competence as a GM will stand to scrutiny come 2018. Right now, he's having it super watered-down because McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse are on ELCs.
and we no have idea how much the cap will be up in 2 seasons...especially with expansion coming in, so its simply baseless speculation

Quote:
The guy looked practically invincible for a few years in Boston as well...when Seguin, Hamilton, etc. were on entry deals. He doesn't have a clue as to how to build a perennial winner after the cap crunch kicks in.
when was he given the chance? the fired him after barely missing the playoffs for the first time since his 1st season on the job
Old 01-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #3006
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Besides, why is this forum even talking about the Oilers making the playoffs this season like it's a done deal? There are still 33 games left on their schedule. If the Toronto Maple Leafs of 12/14 showed us anything, it's that teams can have monumental collapses.
Because the Pacific is brutal and even the Flames could still make wildcard spot.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #3007
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Aside from duration, how are Washington's bottom-5 finishes between 2003-2007 any different than the Oilers between 2009-2016?

IIRC, the Oilers 10-year playoff drought is still eclipsed by droughts in other sport teams such as the Minnesota Timberwolves or Buffalo Bills. If anything they're a lot like the Oakland Raiders in the sense that they spend a decade + outside the playoffs after going to the championship game (SCF Game 7, Superbowl). But then again, Derek Carr is a lot more likable than Connor McDavid.

Again, you're just being overly subjective and interpolating your Flames goggles. No one is going to care about the asterisk we have next to their (hypothetical) success if they ever have any. The hockey world forgot all about the comical ineptitude of the Penguins in the 2007 playoffs; the bankruptcy, the relocation woes, the half-decade of lottery finishes, the lack of fan support. They didn't consult with Flyers, Rangers, or Capitals fans as to what they thought about Sid and Co.
yeah, but you're on a Flames forum, in a thread going through its third? iteration titled: Edmonton=NG

Objectivity is unacceptable in a thread meant to rub salt in Oiler fans 10 year old gash...and to delight in the taste of Oiler tears...

just sayin....

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 01-22-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #3008
Soulless Sisters
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I love this new talking point. Love the fact being in a playoff spot in January means they're mentioned in the same breath as the Blackhawks and Penguins.
To be fair, I don't think that poster was actually speculating as to how the Oilers will perform.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #3009
Soulless Sisters
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
and we no have idea how much the cap will be up in 2 seasons...especially with expansion coming in, so its simply baseless speculation

when was he given the chance? the fired him after barely missing the playoffs for the first time since his 1st season on the job
No it's not just baseless speculation. Not when everyone their mother knows that the Oilers will have to dole 1/8 their cap space on one player (the best in the league at that point, but still).

When was he given a chance? Repeatedly throughout 2014-1015. He sat on his fingers and they ended up missing the playoffs.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #3010
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I'll pretty much guarantee Oilers in the playoffs this year. Hate to admit it, but they finally figured things out.
I don't think they've figured anything out, the team is getting carried by four players that they stumbled into. This team has faced very little adversity and they're the extra point darlings of the year.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 01-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #3011
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Young Stars Tournament
Edmonton 4, Calgary 3 (OT)

Preseason
Edmonton 4, Calgary 2
Edmonton 2, Calgary 1

Regular Season
Edmonton 7, Calgary 4
Edmonton 5, Calgary 3
Edmonton 2, Calgary 1 (SO)
Edmonton 7, Calgary 3

Edmonton is good

thanks for coming out guys...see you all next year
Congratulations!!! After 31 years, a decade out of the playoffs, and 4, count them, 4 number 1 overall draft picks you guys FINALLY got it right!! You should be so proud.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:06 PM   #3012
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't think they've figured anything out, the team is getting carried by four players that they stumbled into. This team has faced very little adversity and they're the extra point darlings of the year.
like last night right? oh wait....

btw, where would the Pens, Caps, Sharks, Habs, Hawks be without their 4 best players?
face it, the good teams rely on their best players to win....this isn't some revelation lol
Old 01-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #3013
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

16 teams make the playoffs. 15 don't win the cup. Many miss the playoffs the following year. Some will slide back into high draft picks.

The current Oilers aren't positioned to be a dynasty. They'll be in the playoffs this year, maybe win a round or two and then next year they'll drop back to reality.

Sadly it's similar comparison to the 2015 Flames. Made it in and beat the Canucks and now don't look like a very competitive team for the most part of the last couple seasons.

There isn't much to be concerned about. They'll never have an entire top notch roster needed to be good year after year. Their window of goodness will be short and will return to No Good in no time.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #3014
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We don't know where the cap will be, that is true.

But don't look for expansion teams to prop it up - that would only happen if their revenues were higher than the league average, and there is little chance of that.

Also, expansion won't result in any big new TV deal. That means the same TV revenue (except for any local deal they can muster, which would be irrelevant) now divided by 31 teams - and soon 32 - instead of 30

Expansion will be a drag on the cap, not a boost - by about $1M in my rough estimation
Old 01-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #3015
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Colorado exec. told me that drafting McDavid was worth a billion dollars to the Oilers. His words, not mine. I haven't crunched the numbers but I assume McDavid means a couple of Stanley Cups for the Oilers.

Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby are all generational talents and all have Stanley Cups. I imagine McDavid will have 2 or 3 by the time his career is done.

I hate to admit it but the Oilers are a lot closer to a Cup than we are.
The Following User Says Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #3016
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
It's a hypothetical. Read where I said "hopefully"
Old 01-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #3017
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
A Colorado exec. told me that drafting McDavid was worth a billion dollars to the Oilers. His words, not mine. I haven't crunched the numbers but I assume McDavid means a couple of Stanley Cups for the Oilers.

Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby are all generational talents and all have Stanley Cups. I imagine McDavid will have 2 or 3 by the time his career is done.

Yeah, no. The entire Oilers organization isn't worth a billion dollars not sure how adding one player ups it by a billion dollars.

Oilers value is around $500 million. No NHL player will ever add a billion dollars to an organization.

If Crosby didn't, McDavid won't.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #3018
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
he also brought in a legit #1 goaltender (something the Flames don't have)

a top pairing defenseman in Larsson (Hall can't stay healthy and isn't elite nor making the Devils better)

toughness on the wings (stole Maroon for cheap, Lucic ran the Preds and Flames show the past couple games, and Kassian has been great)

not to mention bringing in Benning, Caggulia...both great college FAs
Hah what? Ran our show the two games? Besides his fight with engelland you wouldn't have known he even played. One game against the preds he actually did something. Good for him. And he certainly didn't run anything in the flames two games this last week, Enjoy that contract.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #3019
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule14 View Post
Hah what? Ran our show the two games? Besides his fight with engelland you wouldn't have known he even played. One game against the preds he actually did something. Good for him. And he certainly didn't run anything in the flames two games this last week, Enjoy that contract.
Wow I must have missed something where Lucic was actually doing something beyond his fight with Engellend, but its great that the Oilers are spending so much on a guy with declining skills and speed.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 01-22-2017, 10:18 PM   #3020
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post

McDavid is an amazing young talent but let's not put him with those guys yet.
Closed Thread