Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #61
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
In years 6-8 that is going to look like a bargain if the cap keeps going up. People were saying the same thing when sid signed for 12 years at 8.7 but now it's one of the best contracts in hockey.
That's the thing, I am not sure assuming the cap will go up is a safe assumption.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #62
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

As some of said, having a player that gets that kind of money is a good thing to have, if the Flames had the "McDavid problem" I'd be ecstatic.

But it does raise some issues, and takes away a lot of wiggle room. The Penguins have done really well to be top heavy for years, but they've developed a lot of good young talent, not an Oiler strong point. They really can't make mistakes, and you could argue they already have two in Lucic and Russell.

Comes down to crude oil oddly enough. Crude goes back to $100 the Canadian dollar will go back to par, and the Canadian teams will bring in 30% more revenue, and the cap will go up every year.

Crude stays at $40 and we could even see a cap contraction.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #63
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDavid got paid, as he should and would with most teams. It is good that the oilers could lock him up for the max term.

Will be interesting to see how they fill out their roster when the contract kicks in next year. The Lucic contract will start to become a burden soon enough.
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #64
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I think that's an entirely fair deal. He's arguably the best player in the world right now and he'll unarguably be the best player in the world soon.

Yes, it's a lot and they'll forever have to dance around it with regards to the Cap. But he's more then worth it.
Parallex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #65
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
LOL, my best pal is a big Oiler fan. "Connor won't cripple the team with a big money deal, he'll take $9 million a season." No he won't.
Heh.

McDavid won't cripple the Oilers at $13 million either. Russel and Lucic at $10 million, OTOH...
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:52 AM   #66
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
As some of said, having a player that gets that kind of money is a good thing to have, if the Flames had the "McDavid problem" I'd be ecstatic.

But it does raise some issues, and takes away a lot of wiggle room. The Penguins have done really well to be top heavy for years, but they've developed a lot of good young talent, not an Oiler strong point. They really can't make mistakes, and you could argue they already have two in Lucic and Russell...
That is all true, but I think the most significantly glaring difference between the Oilers and the Penguins is the difference between Draisaitl and Malkin. Malkin might be the second best player in the NHL over the course of his career, and I don't think Draisaitl will ever get close to that. It is not just that Pittsburgh is top-heavy—it is more that they have had the advantage of icing the two best centres on the planet every night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:53 AM   #67
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Meh he's worth it. I'd gladly take him at that price. He's going to dominate the league for the next decade plus. Hardly handcuffing them
Old 06-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #68
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
This just enforces the fact that Charelli is a piss poor negotiator. I mean you couldn't talk McDavid and his camp down from 13.5? I realize he just won a bunch of awards and is the 2nd coming but could he not point out the fact that if McDavid wants to be on a great team he needs to have some cap flexibility. I have no doubt in my mind that Treliving would've been able to negotiate this better. He kept Johnny, Mony, and Hamilton all below the Gio cap.

But hey, when your handing out 4 million to Russell and 6 million to Lucic how do you try and talk McDavid into < 13.5?

Charelli's gonna have this team in cap hell in 2 years easy.
Ha, you sound like an Oiler fan expecting McDavid to sign for way less than market value just to help the team!
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #69
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Term is good for the Oilers, although they might have been smarter to pay a bit less for a year or two less UFA years, because that cap hit could be crippling, especially for a GM that isn't exactly known for cap management.

Oilers need to be veeeerrrryyyy careful about Draisaitl or they're wuixkly going to be a one line team. They don't have the development or drafting to find success like that.

Last edited by btimbit; 06-28-2017 at 08:57 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #70
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now it's time to crush the $6 million AAV Draisaitl dreams.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #71
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The money is pretty much what I expected. The term -I thought he'd not give up many, if any, UFA years. And not just because he wants even more as a UFA (frankly, I don't think the money changes much for him as a UFA versus RFA). I thought it would be shorter to some degree to get out of Edmonton (which I don't think is as big a factor despite my disdain for all things Edmonton). But mostly I thought it would be shorter to lessen the effect a new CBA has on existing contracts (in at least one instance a new CBA rolled back wages on existing contracts). Maybe that's not the prediction for a new CBA.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #72
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

IMO even though getting Mcdavid for 8 years at 13.25 isn't a bad contract for the Oilers I think Chirelli's mistake is signing McDavid first and Drasaitl second. I think Drasaitl is a very good player but playing on a line with McDavid all season I question if you put him on a different line/team would he get 80 points? If Monahan played with McDavid all year I think he could get 40 goals and 75 points. Gaudreau with McDavid? I could see both of them over 100. So is Drasailtl worth more than 7 mil? IMO about 7 mil is fair but now that they have given McDavid 13.25 how do you tell Drasaitl who had 77 points and outscored/played McDavid in the playoffs that he is worth just over half of what McDavid is? To me this could push Drasaitl's deal to 8 or more on 8 years and if that happens how do the resign Maroon, Strome, Letestu, Caggulia, Nurse, Benning who all are free agents next summer? This could be a huge mess for them
Macho0978 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:57 AM   #73
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Term is good for the Oilers, although they might have been smarter to pay a bit less for a year or two less UFA years, because that cap hit could be crippling, especially for a Game that isn't exactly known for cap management...
I suspect that was never an option. McDavid is basically doing the Oilers a huge favour by signing a five-year deal with the same number attached to the remaining three years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #74
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Lot of money, but a good problem to have. I think it's a pretty fair contract.

Too bad he couldn't squeeze another million or so out of them
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #75
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

The might be the only $8mil+ contract in the NHL which won't have a No-Trade Clause in it.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #76
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

What part of "Get to UFA asap so you can make big bucks faster" does McDingus not understand?
TBone290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #77
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
Ha, you sound like an Oiler fan expecting McDavid to sign for way less than market value just to help the team!

Not at all. Oilers fans thought he would sign for under 12 million because he's a loyal guy. I knew he wouldn't sign for less than that because Charelli doesn't know how to negotiate.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #78
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eight years is a major win for the Oilers. Not sure why the McDavid camp would go that route unless they feel the salary cap has kind of plateaued which is very possible.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #79
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
The might be the only $8mil+ contract in the NHL which won't have a No-Trade Clause in it.
He's not eligible for a NTC/NMC until he's UFA eligible. But I would be willing to bet the final four years of the deal has one. Likely just hasn't been reported yet.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #80
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

lol. Please be true!
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to locsofblu For This Useful Post: