Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Any Scotch drinkers in the house?

So I bought a bottle of Scotch for the first time in a few months and it reminded me that I'm going to a tasting at Willow Park on November 12th.
http://www.willowparkwines.com/pdf/F...entProgram.pdf (pg 12 under whisky festival $85 per person)

I got my tickets like 3 months ago for 1/2 price and I am really excited to go.

So anyone else enjoy a glass of Scotch from time to time?

I used to always have a bottle on hand but I've noticed the $$ going up recently (stupid gas prices).

My usual favorite is Johnnie Walker Black (I'd always get Gold if I could afford it). Glenlivet is ok too for a cheaper selection. Anyone have any suggestions for $70 and up, keeping in mind that $120 is about the most I'd ever spend?

What else do you enjoy? (if you say Cutty Shark or J&B you are officially banned from this discusion)

I usually prefer single malts but GOOD blended ones like JW Black are good too.

I've tried Glengarioch, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, Balvenie, Glenlivet, Johnnie Walker Black, Gold, Green and Blue and quite a few others, usually of the 10 or 12 year variety as I'm almost always on a budget. Probably the best two being Johnnie Walker Blue or Gold and Glenlivet 18 year (had that one a the U of C dinos dinner this past April). JW Green was HORRIBLE IMO (especially given the price), so was Chivas Regal, Cutty Shark and quite a few others.

Any thoughts/suggestions/opinions?

Edit: for some reason I feel it is important to add that JW Black was supposedly the preferred whisky of Winston Churchill.

Last edited by flip; 08-29-2008 at 01:24 AM.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoy Scotch, how you drink it really depends on what you buy.

I prefer single malts, but blends are good every now and then too.

I actually enjoy Chivas Regal but its not the smoothest stuff out there so I typically enjoy it with ice, I find JW Red to be good for mixing if you're into that.

Some of my favorites are:

Dalwhinney
Tullibardine
Oban
JW Gold

I did the Willow Park tasting a couple of years ago and it was fantastic, I ended up staying late and getting sloshed on expensive scotch for free just talking with the presenters. It was a blast, but I also developed some favorite products at the same time. Very informative.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:14 AM   #3
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh yeah, the way you drink it is important too, can't believe I didn't mention that.

Neat all the way for me (in my Riders Crown Royal glass or my Johnnie Walker glasses). If the stuff is really crappy I'll pour in a little bottled water (never tap) and never with ice because the freezer usually flavours the ice and ruins the Scotch. But to each his own of course.

And of course the mix. Rob Roys all around if the bartender even knows what they are anymore.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
Oh yeah, the way you drink it is important too, can't believe I didn't mention that.

Neat all the way for me (in my Riders Crown Royal glass or my Johnnie Walker glasses). If the stuff is really crappy I'll pour in a little bottled water (never tap) and never with ice because the freezer usually flavours the ice and ruins the Scotch. But to each his own of course.
Yeah, the way you drink it is very important. For the most part its neat all the way, but again, to each their own.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:58 AM   #5
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
I got my tickets like 3 months ago for 1/2 price and I am really excited to go.
How did you get half price tickets?
Eric Vail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:55 AM   #6
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Last edited by PowerPlayoffs06; 11-08-2013 at 06:52 AM.
PowerPlayoffs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Never met a bottle I didnt like

(above a certain "price point")
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually have a bottle of Glenfiddich in the cupboard at home. I drink it on the rocks though. When I have the good stuff it's usually neat.

At an office function a couple months ago we were at Buchanan's and some of the partners were buying glasses of some really nice stuff. Wish I could remember what it was (Highland Park 25, I think). Smooth.

I haven't tried that many: Glenfiddich, Chivas Regal, JW Red (barf), Auchentoshan, Glenlivet, Highland Park, Macallan, Talisker, Lagavulin. For me, it was an acquired taste and it took trying a few different ones to really appreciate.

Last edited by fredr123; 08-29-2008 at 07:52 AM.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #9
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

big scotch fan - you'll love the Willow Park tastings BTW.

Macallan 18 year is my fav without getting into stupid expensive, though even that might be above $120 these days.

I like aberlour for a really easy drinking scotch, almost like brandy. Glendronach is good. Caol Ila I liked, though I haven't had much. Bruchladdich is good but way overpriced IMO.

Check out some of the independants like Murray McDavid too. It's typically more 'raw' and flavourful (and stronger - add a few drops of water).
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Worst drink ever = Rusty Nail - scotch and drambuie
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #11
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lagavulin, Talisker, and Oban are my favorites, always neat. When I was in my first year of college, we had a club where each of us would put in 20 bucks for a once-a-month meeting, and half of that would go toward a nice bottle of alcohol that we, as young students, wouldn't normally get to try, and the other half toward a box of cigars. My first drink of scotch (Talisker) was a revelation for me; scotch has been my favorite drink ever since.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
KielC
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Lagavulin 16 is my favourite.
KielC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #13
IntenseFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Glenmorangie special bottlings (using sherry, port and burgandy casks) have recently gravitated toward my favourite.

Soon, if this price increase keeps up, they will be over $70.
IntenseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
COGENT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just started really getting into Scotch so I haven't tried a lot. However, from what I have tried I really enjoyed a 14 year Oban.

Thanks for listing your favorites, there's a lot to look forward to.
COGENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #15
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

Yup ... although I find myself buying cognac or good tequila more often as my sipping beverage. For scotch, there's lots of brands I enjoy. Glenmorangie, Glenlivet and Glennfiddich all make good scotch for under $50 per bottle. Above $50 I like Cardhu, Oban, Lagavulin and a bunch of others. Just about any single malt that's 18 or 25 years old that isn't too peaty is okay with me.

Troutman ... I beg to differ with you about Rusty Nail's. That's probably my favourite cocktail. it's my drink of choice on Christmas day in fact. To each their own I guess, eh?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #16
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

When I used to partake, I enjoyed Robbie Burns scotch. Its not cheap mind you, but damn its fine...almost clear like water, a slight amber colour to it and very very VERY smooth!
Sample00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #17
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know nothing about Scotch, but hear people raving about it and have often considered going on a tasting.

Is that a good way to figure out if you will acquire a taste for Scotch, or is scotch more of a 'like it or don't' type of drink?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #18
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I know nothing about Scotch, but hear people raving about it and have often considered going on a tasting.

Is that a good way to figure out if you will acquire a taste for Scotch, or is scotch more of a 'like it or don't' type of drink?
definately an acquired taste.
try it. you may or may not like it..or it may take you a bit of time to get used to it. I agree with previous comments though..stay away from the real cheap sheat. Its like Petroleum. blah!!!
Sample00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #19
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I tried scotch a couple of times and it wasn't really my thing, but then again it likely was crap scotch. I have been given a few bottles over the past couple of months and maybe you experts can tell me if it's worth another shot, or time to re-gift. I have a bottle of Tamdu 10yr, one of Ancnoc 12yr, a Glenmorangie 10yr, and a Highland Park 12yr.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #20
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
I usually have a bottle of Glenfiddich in the cupboard at home. I drink it on the rocks though. When I have the good stuff it's usually neat.

At an office function a couple months ago we were at Buchanan's and some of the partners were buying glasses of some really nice stuff. Wish I could remember what it was (Highland Park 25, I think). Smooth.

I haven't tried that many: Glenfiddich, Chivas Regal, JW Red (barf), Auchentoshan, Glenlivet, Highland Park, Macallan, Talisker, Lagavulin. For me, it was an acquired taste and it took trying a few different ones to really appreciate.

I had an extremely long evening there a few months ago trying a bunch of the fine scotches there! Fantastic selection. (and arguably one of the best steak restaurants in the city)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote