Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Employee rights question

I work as a driver for a warehouse at the airport. My manager is in his mid 30's, and is always making changes to things that aren't broken. He micromanages everything and it's hard to keep track of all the paperwork I've signed for new company policies and whatnot. Anyways, the newest thing is that our dispatcher creates a recap at the end of the day, which we are to read in the evening after work just to get a heads up the next day. I need my company phone to view this email, so I'm supposed to have it on me at all times. Last Thursday my dad fell down the stairs and broke his shoulder blades. I had to grab him from the hospital, take him home, and then take my mom who has Alzheimer's to the pharmacy to get his painkillers. Without going into detail, it was a very stressful evening and I never bothered to check this work email. Sure enough I was supposed to start at 6 am instead of 730 am, but I showed up at 730 instead. Today I got disciplined for it and written up. I'm just wondering if not being available outside of work hours are grounds for dismissal? My boss didn't even care when I gave him my reasoning.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there a schedule posted every week in advance or is there a standardized time where people are expected to show up each day? Are there "core hours" each day when you are expected to be available for work?

Or are you expected to check each evening to see what time you are supposed to show up the next day?
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It would depend on the job description that you signed off on it. If it has a requirement in terms of you being reachable outside of work hours because for example your schedule s fluid and decided day to day, then yeah, they can at the very least discipline you for showing up late the next day.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your boss seems like a phallushead.

My opinion might change if you have a history of unexplained or weak reason lateness/ absenteeism.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is all I can find.

All employers must notify employees of when work starts or ends by posting notices where they can be seen or by other reasonable methods.
You cannot be forced to change from one shift to another unless you have been given at least 24 hours notice and at least 8 hours of rest between shifts
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is a set schedule, and about 95% of the time the email is non-pertinent. I'm honestly not sure what I have signed anymore, I've signed over 100 papers when it comes to SOP's etc.

Also, I'm definitely one of the most punctual employees and have never taken a sick day there.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #7
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What are your hours of work according to the posted schedule?

Last edited by llwhiteoutll; 04-10-2017 at 01:44 PM.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

They have to contact you directly if it wasn't an agreed upon condition of your employment. An email is not a sufficient method of contact. Just went through this with my employer and Alberta labour.

Gotta love SOP's especially when its a reversion SOP
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RinkRat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #9
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure what your supervisors age has to do with anything? It sounds like you don't have that great of a working relationship. Is this a union gig?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: