Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #21
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thread is a failure for not calling it a fire sale. OP clearly not an Arrested Development fan.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:20 PM   #22
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I decided to wander into an HMV today and I ended up leaving with some decent blu-rays. Raging Bull, Ronin, Platoon, The Usual Suspects, Man on Fire and Argo for about $3 each. Not too bad.
Yeah, I picked-up V for Vendetta and the Hello Kitty 3 DVD collection for like $3 each. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #23
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Yeah, I picked-up V for Vendetta and the Hello Kitty 3 DVD collection for like $3 each. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday.
V for Vendetta is on Netflix. $3 is pretty much half your monthly Netflix bill. Doesn't seem like a good deal to me and now you have a hunk of plastic that will lay around your house annoyingly for the next 20 years.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Hello Kitty? Really? Thats a real thing?

Its a cat. It cant even say 'Hello' back.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 11:17 AM   #25
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
V for Vendetta is on Netflix. $3 is pretty much half your monthly Netflix bill. Doesn't seem like a good deal to me and now you have a hunk of plastic that will lay around your house annoyingly for the next 20 years.
I like having a few DVDs around for those odd occasions the internet goes down or I am in a remote location.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #26
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Right, because the internet is always available no matter what your location. DVDs are oh so useless when I'm out camping and want to relax.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:07 PM   #27
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore View Post
Right, because the internet is always available no matter what your location. DVDs are oh so useless when I'm out camping and want to relax.
DVDs to relax when camping?
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #28
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
DVDs to relax when camping?
We spend a month out there. So yes I consider it relaxing to watch a movie before I fall asleep the odd night.

Or the kids enjoy throwing a movie on when it's raining
Old 04-09-2017, 11:43 PM   #29
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I've been hitting up every location in town once a week.

Downtown store was 5 Blu Ray, CD, or DVD for $7.50 today. Prior to this sale, I've never had any Blu Rays. Now I have about 30 titles and I've discovered the joy of actual movie extras and commentary again. That's something you don't get with streaming. It was also good to buy old TV shows. Tonight I watched my Season 1 Knight Rider DVD set from Southcentre HMV. I can't stream that anywhere. Also got a Ghostbusters hoodie for 90% off. I also bought some of their fixtures. Every store except downtown is being converted into Sunrise Records.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-09-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:14 AM   #30
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I've been hitting up every location in town once a week.

Downtown store was 5 Blu Ray, CD, or DVD for $7.50 today. Prior to this sale, I've never had any Blu Rays. Now I have about 30 titles and I've discovered the joy of actual movie extras and commentary again. That's something you don't get with streaming. It was also good to buy old TV shows. Tonight I watched my Season 1 Knight Rider DVD set from Southcentre HMV. I can't stream that anywhere. Also got a Ghostbusters hoodie for 90% off. I also bought some of their fixtures. Every store except downtown is being converted into Sunrise Records.

Hack & Lube = Hakan Loob

You have the best username ever.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToewsFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #31
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Netflix's catalog changes and Blu-rays are higher quality.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #32
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
And Netflix's catalogue of foreign films is not great. I mean, there is a pretty good collection of contemporary films (usually from notable filmmakers and ones that have commercial success) but there is nothing in terms of older foreign films. Try entering some of the giants of filmmaking in the Netflix search (Fellini, Rohmer, Malle, Ozu, Fassbinder, Bergman, etc.) and see what you get.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #33
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I still buy high end effects orientated movies on blu-ray. $20 for the blu-ray vs. $6 to rent a streamed version. These are the types of movies I want to see on release date. The increased audio and visual quality is noticed, plus I get to view the movie whenever I want.

I'm pretty satisfied buying the movies from Bestbuy though, and don't need a DVD orientated retail store. HMV was really trending towards becoming a San Francisco style novelty store in the end. Except that they were always located in high end high rent areas. I'm impressed they managed to stay afloat the last 5 years.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #34
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Here's How Sunrise Records Plans to Succeed but Local Shops Remain Skeptical

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/here...mpaign=fbpwall

Ontario-based music retail chain Sunrise Records announced that it would be taking over the leases of 70 soon-to-be shuttered HMV stores across the country. While some questioned the move in an age where streaming services reign supreme, Sunrise has now divulged how it will provide its own unique record store experience for listeners in search of something tangible.

Speaking to the CBC, Sunrise Records owner Douglas Putman revealed that he is looking to account for both the renewed interest in vinyl records and people's passion for local music in getting his chain to rise again. Putman said each Sunrise location will place an emphasis on stocking music made by local artists, in addition to what's popular in the particular area.

I applaud the plan to promote local music, but I'm afraid there is not much demand in the general public for that.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #35
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Here's How Sunrise Records Plans to Succeed but Local Shops Remain Skeptical

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/here...mpaign=fbpwall

Ontario-based music retail chain Sunrise Records announced that it would be taking over the leases of 70 soon-to-be shuttered HMV stores across the country. While some questioned the move in an age where streaming services reign supreme, Sunrise has now divulged how it will provide its own unique record store experience for listeners in search of something tangible.

Speaking to the CBC, Sunrise Records owner Douglas Putman revealed that he is looking to account for both the renewed interest in vinyl records and people's passion for local music in getting his chain to rise again. Putman said each Sunrise location will place an emphasis on stocking music made by local artists, in addition to what's popular in the particular area.

I applaud the plan to promote local music, but I'm afraid there is not much demand in the general public for that.
I really question their business model. This sounds like a huge Target-esque mistake of expanding too fast and having the wrong or no stock for the wrong locations.

I could see them succeeding by identifying the most popular HMV in a few select cities for music sales and then analyzing the demographics of the people who shop in that mall to figure out if there's a market for what they are selling.

But they are basically taking over 70 stores across Canada with no supply chain, no networks, no data, etc. and putting a niche medium like CDs and Vinyl records into them. I'm sorry but buying music on a physical medium is a very bourgeois thing. I don't seem them succeeding trying to sell $20 CDs, local music, $30 vinyl records, etc. in Marlborough Mall for example.

A vast majority of local artists don't put out published physical media anyway. If you walk into Luke's Drug Mart in Bridgeland, they do have a small bin of local artists on vinyl but it's not like it's making a lot of money or pushing huge sales.

At least when Sunrise goes through it's liquidation, maybe I can pick up a few cheap records and buy some more of their furniture (picked up some of the fixtures from downtown HMV).

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-10-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #36
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I still buy high end effects orientated movies on blu-ray. $20 for the blu-ray vs. $6 to rent a streamed version. These are the types of movies I want to see on release date. The increased audio and visual quality is noticed, plus I get to view the movie whenever I want.

I'm pretty satisfied buying the movies from Bestbuy though, and don't need a DVD orientated retail store. HMV was really trending towards becoming a San Francisco style novelty store in the end. Except that they were always located in high end high rent areas. I'm impressed they managed to stay afloat the last 5 years.
I also used the liquidation to buy some 3D Blu Ray. Downloaded SBS movies are often compressed or the two halves are half resolution and the syncing doesn't work well. I've recently started to binge on 3D movies again.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #37
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I put all of my dvds into a binder and threw away the cases. You can buy binder pages that hold 8 DVDs each for really cheap on Ebay. I have hundreds of DVDs (probably close to 1000 actually) that all fit into 3 binders and take up little space.

The only issue I have is that the DVDs are all in 4:3 aspect ration and some are of such low quality that they are difficult to watch.

I did give away all of my CDs to good will though. It was weird simply giving away CDs that 25 years ago were prized possessions that took significant saving time to buy.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #38
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

It's great you guys like DVDs but they're not my thing. Just putting them in the machine is a pita to me, then waiting for it to load before you can even hit play? No thanks. I have a ton of movies on a micro SD card that slaps into my tablet. We can chrome cast that to pretty much any tv made in the last decade if we want.

I haven't played around with Netflix's downloadable content at all, but there's that now for offline viewing.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #39
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Yeah, I'm sure all the local music Calgarians want could fit onto one of those carts in the hallways of malls and I'd be skeptical that would be viable. Filling an entire HMV-sized store with vinyl (fad imo) and local music? Forget it.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #40
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Was in a mall in Nanaimo with an HMV I entered only on account of this thread and everything was $1.30.

Everything.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote