Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2017, 11:40 PM   #41
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Assad breached the convention against using chemical weapons. Again.

There has to be accountability.
Maybe the Arab League will do something. Issue a statement? Blame Israel? Lol.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:53 PM   #42
JackJack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Funny you mention the Arab league. Unfortunately, that is the largest problem facing the Middle East today. There is a black hole when it comes to a leader or nation taking a leadership role to fix the instability.

No western or democratic solution is going to fix the underlying issues and the Muslim on Muslim conflict. It will require an in-house solution. But predominantly Muslim countries have all shown their apathy and selfishness when it comes to wanting to resolve the situation. They all idly standby looking for somebody else to fix the problems.
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackJack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #43
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What are you talking about? The Arab league has been critical of Syria and called their chemical attack a major crime. They have been suspended from the Arab league for several years.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:36 AM   #44
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:54 AM   #45
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Credit where credit is due, I think Trump did the right thing and I think he did it in the right manner.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 01:13 AM   #46
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Credit where credit is due, I think Trump did the right thing and I think he did it in the right manner.
Yup, I think he made it clear, attacks on women, children and the innocent are unacceptable and if you use chemical weapons expect a swift response.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:33 AM   #47
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
What are you talking about? The Arab league has been critical of Syria and called their chemical attack a major crime. They have been suspended from the Arab league for several years.
Have they called for the arrest of Assad and for him to be put on trial for war crimes and crimes against humanity? He needs to hang.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:06 AM   #48
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump: "No child of God should have to endure the horrendous suffering" inflicted by the Assad regime.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:16 AM   #49
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Jim Sciutto‏@jimsciutto
New: Kremlin calls U.S. strike on Syria "aggression against sovereign state in violation of international law"
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:24 AM   #50
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

lol i haven't seen so many people out to lunch in one thread. Believing the official story about Assad using chemical weapons? This is just another false flag by the US to continue its century decade long aggression in the Middle east to keep it destabilised. It is in their best interest that the middle east never becomes stable.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:26 AM   #51
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Yup, I think he made it clear, attacks on women, children and the innocent are unacceptable and if you use chemical weapons expect a swift response.
Maybe there should be a swift response on the attacks made by the Saudi American coalition in Yemen killing innocent civilians just like they did in Iraq. When will people ever learn.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:27 AM   #52
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Yup, I think he made it clear, attacks on women, children and the innocent are unacceptable and if you use chemical weapons expect a swift and useless response.
Fixed your post. As I asked earlier, what is the end game here? What was the intent here? Was there any value in the attack other than to let Donald Trump show the world he can use some expensive weapons? What value targets did they strike? Did they hurt Assad in any way? Did they cripple Assad's ability to wage attacks against anyone? Military action should only be used with purpose and specific intent. There must be a pragmatic mission and there must be political goals. This attack changes nothing and again takes away the moral high ground from the United States. I think Trump just did this.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 04-07-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #53
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
lol i haven't seen so many people out to lunch in one thread. Believing the official story about Assad using chemical weapons? This is just another false flag by the US to continue its century decade long aggression in the Middle east to keep it destabilised. It is in their best interest that the middle east never becomes stable.
Uh, ok.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:59 AM   #54
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The US has maintained a war economy since WW2 and most of it's major conflicts were prompted by BS media events:

Vietnam - Gulf of Tonkin
1st Iraq - Nayirah Testimony
Cuban (failed attempt) - Operation Northwoods, declassified in the 90s
Iraq/Afghanistan - WMD & Osama

Even Obama had a bomb dropped every 20 minutes and normalized drone strikes which miss their intended targets 90% of the time. War is the best business and the war machine don't give a #### who the president is.

I can't know what actually happened, but the US will likely be too far into the conflict to pull out by the time these events are properly understand. The US ability to manufacture war shouldn't be trivialized.

Last edited by Matata; 04-07-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 07:22 AM   #55
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Trump: "No child of God should have to endure the horrendous suffering" inflicted by the Assad regime.
The kicker is that he really only thinks that white Americans are children of "God."
Old 04-07-2017, 07:24 AM   #56
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Jim Sciutto‏@jimsciutto
New: Kremlin calls U.S. strike on Syria "aggression against sovereign state in violation of international law"
Breaking News: Pot calls Kettle "BLACK."
Old 04-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #57
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
The US has maintained a war economy since WW2 and most of it's major conflicts were prompted by BS media events:

Vietnam - Gulf of Tonkin
1st Iraq - Nayirah Testimony
Cuban (failed attempt) - Operation Northwoods, declassified in the 90s
Iraq/Afghanistan - WMD & Osama

Even Obama had a bomb dropped every 20 minutes and normalized drone strikes which miss their intended targets 90% of the time. War is the best business and the war machine don't give a #### who the president is.

I can't know what actually happened, but the US will likely be too far into the conflict to pull out by the time these events are properly understand. The US ability to manufacture war shouldn't be trivialized.
Exactly this is nothing about the US rushing to protect some innocent civilians like some people think. They wouldn't be doing this if they didnt have an interest. If they were really about saving the world they would've invaded latin america by now to get rid of the much more ruthless cartels.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:34 AM   #58
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

So in the past I thought the US needed Congressional authorization before a unilateral strike of this nature when the US was not attacked. Obama wanted to strike Syria but could not get support of Congress at the time to do it.

Quote:
In 2013, when a sarin nerve gas attack left more than 1,400 dead outside Damascus, President Barack Obama went to Congress to get approval to strike.

In a whip count from ThinkProgress, 183 Republicans were against bombing the country. Only 12 Republicans, including then-House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), sided with the president to launch a strike. Ultimately, Congress did not appear to approve the strike, with 243 Congressional members swaying towards voting “No.” Obama ultimately decided to postpone the vote.
Quote:
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said Thursday night that President Trump needs congressional authorization for military action in Syria after Trump ordered an airstrike in retaliation for a deadly chemical attack earlier this week.

"While we all condemn the atrocities in Syria, the United States was not attacked," Paul said in a statement shortly after reports that the U.S. had launched more than 50 Tomahawk cruise missiles against an airfield in Syria.

"The President needs congressional authorization for military action as required by the Constitution, and I call on him to come to Congress for a proper debate," Paul said. "Our prior interventions in this region have done nothing to make us safer, and Syria will be no different."
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...n-for-military
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...9a9da355d?tjb&
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #59
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Along similar lines.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...unwise/522228/
Old 04-07-2017, 08:46 AM   #60
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
So Trump bombed an abandoned airbase? That's a good use of 50 tomahawks and $60-100 million in tax payer dollars.
Abandoned or evacuated? There is a difference. If they took out enough infrastructure to render the base unusable or ineffective is that not effective?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote