Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #21
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
In east Mesa, Superstition Springs is a muni-quality course, but are good a layout and a good value for your dollar. You have Las Sendas and Red Mountain Ranch both in NE Mesa. Both are interesting courses that both feature some blind shots. Not a fan of that myself, but some like that sort of thing. Given my druthers I'd play Red Mountain Ranch over Las Sendas. If you want to support both the local and Canadian economy you'll want to play Las Sendas.
This is terrible advice. All three of those courses are unanimously hated by most everyone who plays them. Don't take my word for it. Go read the Southwest forum on GolfWRX. The annual conditions thread is a must read for anyone golfing in the valley.

They are hard for the sake of being hard. RMCC is Pete Dye at his worst with some of the most severe mounding around the greens I've ever seen anywhere.

Las Sendas is extremely hard on the first timer. Several blind teeshots and a couple terrible holes especially the short par 3 on the front. Super tiny greens and very hard green complexes.

Superstition Springs is not well maintained and complete waste of time. They have hosted q-school stages in the past, but that's not reason enough to play here.

If you have to stay in Mesa, Longbow is a far better use of your golfing dollar. Great layout and superb conditioning.
Quote:
In west Mesa you have some different options. You can go play Dobson Ranch, which is a muni, but a good layout. City of Mesa usually keeps it in good shape.
Solid muni course. Typically in amazing shape. Haven't played it this winter yet.

Quote:
For a nice side trip you can take the Beeline (87 or Country Club) and go up through the backside of Fountain Hills. There you have access to We Ko Pa. Some people love them, but I've never been a fan. Saguaro is a Crenshaw design and is the goofier of the two. Cholla is the original and most playbale of the two. Both layouts are kind of tricked up.
You have this backwards, Saguaro is the far better course. They made some changes to Cholla this year, particularly on the par 5 8th hole to make it more playable. I haven't been able to play it since the changes.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #22
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ To each their own I guess. I love Las Sendas and basically play that every time I go! Red Mountain was alright, not amazing, and Superstition is a pure Muni course, but super cheap.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #23
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flizzenflozz View Post
Reaching out to see if anyone can recommend any courses to play for when I go next week. I've played Troon and copper canyon before so looking for some other nice ones. I'll be staying near Glendale so the preference will be for ones near there but can drive somewhere further if it's worth it.
Also, Anyone know of a site to find any good golf deals down there? I think I used golfnow.com before.

Thanks in advance
Where did you play and how was it?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #24
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paging Shane Doan.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #25
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
They are hard for the sake of being hard. RMCC is Pete Dye at his worst with some of the most severe mounding around the greens I've ever seen anywhere.

Las Sendas is extremely hard on the first timer. Several blind teeshots and a couple terrible holes especially the short par 3 on the front. Super tiny greens and very hard green complexes.
I ended up playing both these courses when I stayed in Mesa in January.
They were alright, when we played Las Sendas the weather was pretty crappy, cold and rainy, would have liked to played on a nicer day.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #26
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played ASU Karsten - it's an interesting course, but not in particularly great shape.

Also played Gold Canyon Dinosaur Course. It was in phenomenal shape and is a very beautiful layout. The views and setting are quite something. My only minor quibble is that there are 6 par 3s, many of which have a very similar elevation drop - not quite enough variety there. The course is so spread out, no real reason to have so many par 3s. Then again, I'm probably just bitter because I struggled on each and every one of them for some reason.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:30 PM   #27
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dino Mountain is something to play once.

I used to get fussy about playing the top tier courses but when the munis like Kenny Mac and Papago are good enough to host pre qualification for the Waste Management, I save my money for beer and play there.

Aguila is by far the best value in the valley. It's like $35 to walk with a City card. It is in usually immaculate condition with fast smooth greens. If it was in Calgary, it would be $130 on the weekend.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:41 PM   #28
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Any comments on the Boulders? Going down to celebrate an anniversary in April.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:16 PM   #29
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
Any comments on the Boulders? Going down to celebrate an anniversary in April.
Boulders is really nice, much like Troon North. It will give you the desert golf experience.

IMO, it's a little expensive for the value though.

If you get a chance, check out Quintero.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #30
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was there last week. Played Mountain Brook in Gold Canyon (right near the dino course) as well as Johnson Ranch down in San Tan Valley. Mountain Brook is a nice, easy course. Greens weren't amazing there, but it was the right challenge level for my first round of the year. Johnson Ranch is a much more challenging course. Lots of elevations changes and dog legs, and it's pretty punishing if you go off the fairway.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote