Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #41
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone on here know where to buy a pair of inexpensive 6v golf cart batteries? We bought a solar panel and have done some research that this is the best setup for the most amount of power.

I think we are going to go check out the costco batteries but thought I would ask here to see what CP suggests. We have a 1500watt inverter, the panel and now just looking for the right cables and batteries for our setup.

It is for off the grid type camping and we have an old tent trailer without power anyway, so this would be for lights, music, beer fridge, etc. Nothing too crazy.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #42
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I don't recall Costco having the 6v batteries? I have purchased a deep cycle there though (actually two). I killed one over the winter last year or the year before and they returned it no questions asked.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #43
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm entering my second season with my 5th wheel parked in Idaho. I was surprised how many things are there for the family to do. Looking forward to a lot of swimming, hiking and days at Silverwood. Honestly I don't miss hitching up and dragging it around Alberta too much.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #44
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
so this would be for lights, music, beer fridge, etc. Nothing too crazy.
The other way to go about this is to look at ways of reducing the power you need. If you are thinking of running a fridge off a set of batteries with an inverter, you will go through a couple of golf cart batteries in 2 days. If you have an option of getting a propane fridge for your trailer you would be much further ahead.

Then look into LED bulbs. Once again; uses 10% of the power.

Yes, good golf cart batteries will get you 3-4 times the power; at 3-4 times the price. Once you go bargain hunting for those, your results may vary.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #45
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Combining two of the previous posts I got my batteries at Costco in Idaho.

Less than $100 each two years ago. Not such a bargain at today's rates.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:38 PM   #46
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
The other way to go about this is to look at ways of reducing the power you need. If you are thinking of running a fridge off a set of batteries with an inverter, you will go through a couple of golf cart batteries in 2 days. If you have an option of getting a propane fridge for your trailer you would be much further ahead.

Then look into LED bulbs. Once again; uses 10% of the power.

Yes, good golf cart batteries will get you 3-4 times the power; at 3-4 times the price. Once you go bargain hunting for those, your results may vary.
Igloo coolers will go five days on one block of ice. It really simplified things for me in the van when I realized I didn't need a fridge. Here's a video of my AGM 6 volt solar/shore/vehicle alternator powered 12volt dc / 110 volt ac setup:
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueski For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #47
sparky69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
Does anyone on here know where to buy a pair of inexpensive 6v golf cart batteries? We bought a solar panel and have done some research that this is the best setup for the most amount of power.

I think we are going to go check out the costco batteries but thought I would ask here to see what CP suggests. We have a 1500watt inverter, the panel and now just looking for the right cables and batteries for our setup.

It is for off the grid type camping and we have an old tent trailer without power anyway, so this would be for lights, music, beer fridge, etc. Nothing too crazy.

Thanks guys!
Went to this place last year all auto batteries. They are on Ogden Rd. Payed I think around $80 for 1 t105 trogen 6v battery. They are reclaimed batteries. Never had a problem with them
sparky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #48
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm looking for a dual-tank auto-switch propane regulator, but I'm not exactly comfortable buying things I can't see & touch first. Any recommendations for a supplier? RV supply stores seem to jack things up 100% above what they should go for....

Anything I should look for to identify a "good" unit? I guess I'm looking for something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-59005-Do.../dp/B0024ECBCA ... but no idea if that's a good one or a crappy one.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #49
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

How much are you saving by buying that online? Looking at Woody's online their price is $27 more. Do you get $27 worth of peace of mind and knowledge from going into a store and being able to talk to somebody?

Edit- and after looking it appears that my emergency regulator part I had to get from them last summer only cost me an extra $15 over buying online. I hadn't wanted to look before.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #50
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So pretty excited, bought a travel trailer a few weeks ago after looking around and changing our minds for what seemed like an eternity.

Just booked the last spot at Sundance Lodges for May Long Weekend, anyone ever been there?

Also was able to snag a spot for a our maiden voyage at Mount Kidd on May 7th, 8th. Looks nice there as well, anyone been there?
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #51
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Mount Kidd is my favourite place to go. Great place for the first trip in your trailer, as all the services are there. Lots of hiking trails, amphitheater for the kids, and other activities. Sites are all pretty good for privacy. Also if you are in A, B, or D loop you have TV to catch playoff hockey.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #52
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
So pretty excited, bought a travel trailer a few weeks ago after looking around and changing our minds for what seemed like an eternity.

Just booked the last spot at Sundance Lodges for May Long Weekend, anyone ever been there?

Also was able to snag a spot for a our maiden voyage at Mount Kidd on May 7th, 8th. Looks nice there as well, anyone been there?
As a kid (20-30 years ago) we camped at Mt Kidd every May long. Everyone loved it.

Parents had a satellite tv lounge for playoff hockey.
Kids had river, playgrounds, outdoors.

Be aware, it's definitely not 'bare-bones' camping. There is a convenience store and other amenities.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #53
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate the firewood at Mt. Kidd, it never burns well. I would suggest to bring some of your own, at least enough to help burn their wood if you buy some.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #54
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I hate the firewood at Mt. Kidd, it never burns well. I would suggest to bring some of your own, at least enough to help burn their wood if you buy some.
If you are doing this check out Burnco. You can get birch or pine and load the back of your truck.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #55
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a good battery switch? I'd like to install one so I don't have to unhook my batteries between camping trips all the time.

also, best place in town to get said switch?

Thanks,
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #56
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good battery switch? I'd like to install one so I don't have to unhook my batteries between camping trips all the time.

also, best place in town to get said switch?

Thanks,
Princess Auto

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...ch/A-p8437402e
Old 05-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #57
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Need to replace the Receiver/DVD (5.1) combo in our trailer, any recommendations?

I've thought about putting a separate receiver and DVD player in, but the space is so slim I don't think I'd find a traditional receiver that would fit.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:41 PM   #58
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Thanks picked this up on Saturday and put on. Works like a charm
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #59
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at getting a little more out of my trailer. We currently only have a battery, so if we ever turn the furnace on it drains it like crazy and we can barely get the slide-out in at the end of the trip. The fridge is fine, it runs on propane, we have all LED lights. Are inverters (generators) the way to go? Solar? What does a not too expensive on cost? Thanks in advance.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #60
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Looking at getting a little more out of my trailer. We currently only have a battery, so if we ever turn the furnace on it drains it like crazy and we can barely get the slide-out in at the end of the trip. The fridge is fine, it runs on propane, we have all LED lights. Are inverters (generators) the way to go? Solar? What does a not too expensive on cost? Thanks in advance.
Your fridge still uses battery even when on propane. Your water heater and pump use up the battery as well. Ken did a really good post on how much power everything uses, I can't remember if it was this thread or a previous one.

Your cheapest solution would be to get another battery. If you plan on dry camping a lot you may want to look into a generator, that will likely be cheaper than solar.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post: