Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2017, 08:50 AM   #2501
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Restaurant Example:
Burger is $12, you tip the server $2, this goes directly to the server. This costs you $14. You can also choose to tip more or less obviously.

To by increasing the price of the burger, to get $2 to the server, you gotta factor in the business tax as the increased burger price is now revenue, so now you may be paying $15.xx+ for the burger regardless of whether the server cared about you.
You think the burger joint will increase the price of every burger by over $1 to account for the marginal tax increase? You know that increase would also be taxed, so that seems incredibly unlikely.

Plus, with tipping culture the way it is, most people are already paying $15+ for a $12 burger served by someone who doesn't care about you.

As far as simple math goes, let's say you raise a server's wage by $10 an hour (a pretty great wage increase for anyone). They work an 8 hour shift, with about 5 of those being dedicated to tables. Let's say they do an average of 3 tables per hour with an average sitting of 2.5 people. To account for their increase in salary that day, you need to increase each total bill by just over $2.00.

I'd much rather pay an extra $2.00 on my burger and beer and have a server making decent wages than worry about tipping. I'd certainly even pay more than that at more expensive places.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 04-17-2017 at 09:06 AM.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #2502
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You think the burger joint will increase the price of every burger by over $1 to account for the marginal tax increase? You know that increase would also be taxed, so that seems incredibly unlikely.

Plus, with tipping culture the way it is, most people are already paying $15+ for a $12 burger served by someone who doesn't care about you.

As far as simple math goes, let's say you raise a server's wage by $10 an hour (a pretty great wage increase for anyone). They work an 8 hour shift, with about 5 of those being dedicated to tables. Let's say they do an average of 3 tables per hour with an average sitting of 2.5 people. To account for their increase in salary that day, you need to increase each total bill by just over $2.00.

I'd much rather pay an extra $2.00 on my burger and beer and have a server making decent wages than worry about tipping. I'd certainly even pay more than that at more expensive places.
You can do that yourself by deciding that you will tip x% on every meal regardless of service received. Pick whatever number you feel is appropriate. Its rather freeing.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #2503
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone know if Uber has shift limits? We took a ride Saturday and the driver told us he had been driving for 11 hours straight. He could of been exaggerating, but he did seem pretty tired.

I would hope they would cut people off after set hours. They do that with commercial trucking (yes I know shift logs are often fabricated). However that is a huge safety risk and a little frightening.

EDIT: Looks like they have 12 hour limit in USA. Not sure on here.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #2504
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pepsifree, I don't get your objection to tipping in Canada. Its really quite simple, you pay for your meal, you tip what you want, and leave.

You should be forced to spend a week in Italy, the food is amazing, but paying for it can get quite complex. I found this travel advice:

"You are not expected to tip restaurants in Italy. A service charge is sometimes added to the bill, ranging from 1 to 3 Euros, or 10% - 15%. This charge must be indicated on the menu. Some may also add an extra charge for the dinnerware and extras (tablecloth, silverware, plates, bread, etc.), this is normal. But check your bill!

If the service charge isn't included, people usually round up the bill, as in many European countries (leaving a 20 Euro bill for an 18 Euro meal for instance). If the service is exceptional, it is okay to give a good tip, although that is never expected."
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #2505
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don't need another whole country of pizza delivery drivers hating my guts.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #2506
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Question for frequent Uber users.

I tried to advance book a ride to the airport (early in the morning), but it wouldn't let me. Is this a Calgary thing?
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #2507
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
Question for frequent Uber users.

I tried to advance book a ride to the airport (early in the morning), but it wouldn't let me. Is this a Calgary thing?
You can - just tap the icon with the car and clock on the right side of the search bar and enter your trip timing and details. I do this regularly the night before I travel.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:30 PM   #2508
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
You can - just tap the icon with the car and clock on the right side of the search bar and enter your trip timing and details. I do this regularly the night before I travel.
Thanks. Really helpful, I'll try tonight.
Also, can you request a specific type of car (ie minivan)?
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:30 PM   #2509
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

This podcast about Uber is required listening because it is so hilarious and sad:

https://soundcloud.com/the-dollop/271-uber

Starts at 7:15

Last edited by worth; 08-03-2017 at 01:34 PM.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:31 PM   #2510
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
Thanks. Really helpful, I'll try tonight.
Also, can you request a specific type of car (ie minivan)?
Actually, I'm not sure about that.

For a normal trip, you usually have the option of UberX (normal), UberSelect (luxury), or UberXL (large vehicle). When I try to make an advance booking, only UberX is coming up.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #2511
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Couldn't really find a more appropriate thread for this, but Uber just ordered 24,000 XC90s for its driverless fleet.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-v...-idUSKBN1DK1NH
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #2512
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Uber was hacked last year and had info on 57 million accounts stolen, but couldn't be bothered to tell anyone until now.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-breach-quiet/
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #2513
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Uber was hacked last year and had info on 57 million accounts stolen, but couldn't be bothered to tell anyone until now.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-breach-quiet/
Yep thats no good, but seems to be the standard thing.. Equifax did similar and had their really high up guys dump stock before revealing the leak or something didn't they?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #2514
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure they're equally horrible, but I wish we could get Lyft here. I always choose them first in the states and have never had any trouble.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #2515
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

As much as I don't like Uber as a company, I think this "breach" is not a huge deal. No trip info, credit card numbers, or SSN/SIN numbers were compromised. All the hackers got was names, phones, and emails. You could probably google my name and get my phone number and some form of my email (work or personal), so I struggle to see this as a massive data breach. All the important stuff wasn't taken.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #2516
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

^ So Uber claims. Which, given their track record, is not something I'd trust at face value. Also, hiding a major breach for that long is a big deal. But, again, because of Uber's track record, people are more likely to just shrug it off. Same reason why we shrug off Donald Trump's only moderately stupid activities. They've effectively re-defined the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I'm sure they're equally horrible, but I wish we could get Lyft here. I always choose them first in the states and have never had any trouble.
They are expanding to Toronto, so there is hope yet for a push into other Canadian markets.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:44 PM   #2517
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I didn't realize Uber isn't in Vancouver yet. I saw on CTV News that getting a cab last night was hard to do.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #2518
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I know I am way late to be commenting here, but go given that I live in a more rural area, and I don’t drink I rarely take cabs and I have never ubered. Well I just spent a week in NYC and could not believe how easy Uber made it. 1-4 minute waits, reasonable rates it made the trip way easier and more enjoyable than our previous trips to New York.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #2519
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3962104/c...-sexual-email/
Quote:
A Calgary Uber driver has been removed from the app after what the company called an “unacceptable” experience with a customer.
Screenshot of text message from the Uber driver
NSFW!

Quote:
In an emailed statement to Global News, Uber said the driver won’t be picking up any more customers in the city on behalf of the company.

“The experience reported here is unacceptable and is not tolerated on the app,” a spokesperson said. “We have reached out to the rider and have removed this driver’s access to Uber.”

The City of Calgary’s Community Standards department is investigating the incident involving Uber driver Sandaruwan Kariyawasam.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #2520
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can Uber users schedule a pickup at the airport yet, and if not does anyone know a way around this?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote