Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #441
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caff View Post
I still have near perfect credit score. I did not see any real impact to my credit score at all.

The rewards are worth over $5000 a year, not a few hundred dollars.
Bogus. You said 6-8 cards a year. What cards are giving ~$700 worth of signup bonuses.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:33 AM   #442
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy13 View Post
It's not even a wider seat. They literally just put a little cup holder thingy over the middle seat.
Yeah but if you get the first row you do get the leg room!
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #443
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Bogus. You said 6-8 cards a year. What cards are giving ~$700 worth of signup bonuses.
Amex Business gold cards, 40k bonus points.....you can have multiple at the same time and get sign up bonus for all.

Amex Plat 60k+

Amex Business plat 75k

All these bonus points can be converted to Aeroplan or BA. I use them mostly for business class tickets and get about 5 cents/mile.
caff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #444
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

The sign up bonus for personal platinum card back to 60k, but the bonus for business platinum card is still 75k.

Last edited by Daliwan; 11-22-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Daliwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #445
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daliwan View Post
The sign up bonus for personal platinum card back to 60k, but the bonus for business platinum card is still 75k.
The business plat card has much lower annual fee $399 and higher sign up bonus, so it is a better choice.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:32 PM   #446
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does anyone recommend the West Jet credit card? Is their a lot of hidden fees with their yearly $99 flight?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:19 PM   #447
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Does anyone recommend the West Jet credit card? Is their a lot of hidden fees with their yearly $99 flight?
If you fly Westjet a lot, I'd recommend it. $250 bonus dollars on sign up (if eligible for the Elite card), no fee for checked bags for you or anyone traveling under your reservation, and the annual companion flight for $99 plus tax, makes this a good card to have.

Yes, the $99 annual fee essentially makes the companion flight cost $200 plus tax, but that could still be big savings depending on when/where you fly (i.e. Peak or holiday season).
Language is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Language For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2016, 09:51 PM   #448
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Language View Post
If you fly Westjet a lot, I'd recommend it. $250 bonus dollars on sign up (if eligible for the Elite card), no fee for checked bags for you or anyone traveling under your reservation, and the annual companion flight for $99 plus tax, makes this a good card to have.

Yes, the $99 annual fee essentially makes the companion flight cost $200 plus tax, but that could still be big savings depending on when/where you fly (i.e. Peak or holiday season).
I got the Elite WJ MC card as we're planning a trip over Christmas to Mexico. Between the $250 bonus, the $299 companion flight, and no charge checked baggage, I figure we'll save about $700 on flights for the four of us. Checked baggage would have cost $200 itself.

I have a Costco Capital One MC that I use for Costco purchases only (including fuel) and will get about $150 returned this year. I use a Scotiabank Momentum Visa for basically everything else and I'll probably get about $950 in cash back.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #449
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
The companion ticket costs about $250 within NA with all tax and fees.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #450
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
The companion ticket costs about $250 within NA with all tax and fees.
To Hawaii is about $450 which is not bad for peak season.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:22 AM   #451
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really fuss too much about rewards, but having a US-based credit card and a US forwarding address set as the secondary address on the account rocks.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #452
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caff View Post
Amex increased the welcome bonus points for Amex Business and personnel platinum card to 75,000!!

https://www316.americanexpress.com/i...AFAgIPDRcUCw==

https://www316.americanexpress.com/i...d:platinumcard

This is highest ever welcome bonuses from any credit cards in Canada.
It is possible to apply for both the Platinum card and Business Platinum card and get sign up bonus for both?
Old 12-07-2016, 08:32 AM   #453
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
It is possible to apply for both the Platinum card and Business Platinum card and get sign up bonus for both?
Yes, you can. I did exactly that, and got bonus points for both cards.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #454
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^Do you have to pay the annual fee before you get the bonus? Or is it waived in the first year?
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #455
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
First Class? Watch this link of First Class on Cathay and tell me if you still think that.

https://www.topmiles.com/blog/articl...-seat-for--130

I think you mean Business Class, of which WestJet's Plus seating is still miles off of that. WJ's offering is really just a wider seat with extra leg room with everything else craptastic economy class...
This Casey Neistat video is a good one too.

Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #456
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
^^Do you have to pay the annual fee before you get the bonus? Or is it waived in the first year?
The business gold card annual fee is waived for the first year but not platinum cards
Old 03-04-2017, 09:56 PM   #457
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
I got the Elite WJ MC card as we're planning a trip over Christmas to Mexico. Between the $250 bonus, the $299 companion flight, and no charge checked baggage, I figure we'll save about $700 on flights for the four of us. Checked baggage would have cost $200 itself.

I have a Costco Capital One MC that I use for Costco purchases only (including fuel) and will get about $150 returned this year. I use a Scotiabank Momentum Visa for basically everything else and I'll probably get about $950 in cash back.
I got the Elite Wj MC, too. The buddy pass is great. I never ever check bags, so I don't care about that perk. Great card. Much better than an aeroplane based card.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 03-04-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #458
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't able to easily find a thread on lines of credit so I figure I'll just post my question in here instead of starting a new thread. What is a good current rate for a secured line of credit? I spoke with a manager at a bank that my company is affiliated with and they are offering us employees prime plus 0.5%. Is this a good rate? Should I shop around for better?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:59 PM   #459
schooner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I wasn't able to easily find a thread on lines of credit so I figure I'll just post my question in here instead of starting a new thread. What is a good current rate for a secured line of credit? I spoke with a manager at a bank that my company is affiliated with and they are offering us employees prime plus 0.5%. Is this a good rate? Should I shop around for better?
Cant speak for smaller lenders but all the big banks are posted at P + .5%. Sort of the standard, and not much wiggle room. Usually they wont negotiate that. However, its possible you might be able to get P or P +.25%.
schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:58 PM   #460
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Amex SPG (Starwood) card increased the sign up bonus to 25k SPG points. This is the best offer ever! The 25k spg points can get you 5 - 6 nights 3-4 star hotel nights.

https://idap-e3.americanexpress.com/...CPID=100188662

Tags
credit card , credit cards , rewards points