Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 03-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #81
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Canada won the Gold Cup in 2000 in soccer in part due to winning a coin toss after the round robin in the earlier rounds, to just get into the QF - they then won the next 3 games.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4160365/
Damn right! As a Canadian national team supporter who was too young to remember the 1986 World Cup, the fact that the greatest achievement I've ever seen the national team accomplished is due to a coin flip is sad, but also hilarious.

Don't take this away from me though, I would kill for a coin flip to get into the Gold Cup QF now!

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #82
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So, I am a Calgary Hockey Parent (and coach) and take offense at some comments about Hockey Parents.

It is true that there are crazy people in all hockey teams - but to generalize all hockey parents that way is unfair. The antics of a few over shadow the parents that are sane and somewhat normal.

As for the coin toss thing - it seems unfortunate and would be a devastating way to lose, but probably a good parenting moment if viewed in the right way. Someone didn't do their job booking ice or ensuring that there was enough time in the ice rental to ensure time for OT/SO. In some minor hockey if the game cannot be completed it is usually booked for another time (for City Champs I though this was the rule).

Minor hockey is not perfect, but is a heck of a lot better organized than other sports such as soccer and little league. Hockey parents probably have a higher expectation that things are well organized because of that. Example in little league quite common to have umps missing, but to miss a ref in hockey is very rare.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #83
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
My son was at a karate tournament last year and I saw a 5-year-old get struck hard in the face. The kid stood there bawling for about 2 or 3 minutes. Nobody intervened, they just paused the match and let him stand there and cry it out until he had control of himself. Then he finished the match and his dad gave him a hug.
Yeah you see the whole range of emotion from kids after losing a sparring match but the parents are pretty in check. I never saw anything odd from parents.

Probably cause it's one on one? If your kid gets his ass kicked, can't really blame anyone.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #84
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I quit taking Karate as a kid when they told me that they don't teach you how to rip a mans still beating heart out of his chest. What's the point?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #85
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
So, I am a Calgary Hockey Parent (and coach) and take offense at some comments about Hockey Parents.

It is true that there are crazy people in all hockey teams - but to generalize all hockey parents that way is unfair. The antics of a few over shadow the parents that are sane and somewhat normal.

As for the coin toss thing - it seems unfortunate and would be a devastating way to lose, but probably a good parenting moment if viewed in the right way. Someone didn't do their job booking ice or ensuring that there was enough time in the ice rental to ensure time for OT/SO. In some minor hockey if the game cannot be completed it is usually booked for another time (for City Champs I though this was the rule).

Minor hockey is not perfect, but is a heck of a lot better organized than other sports such as soccer and little league. Hockey parents probably have a higher expectation that things are well organized because of that. Example in little league quite common to have umps missing, but to miss a ref in hockey is very rare.
You complain about people generalizing about minor hockey and stereotyping hockey parents then you go and do the exact same about other kids sports.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #86
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
You complain about people generalizing about minor hockey and stereotyping hockey parents then you go and do the exact same about other kids sports.
In my experience minor hockey is more organized than other sports in Calgary. Not meant to be a generalization, but my experience.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #87
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
But wouldn't you get these experiences without so many of the negatives in other sports? Basketball, baseball, etc...
Nope.

Parents are parents no matter the sport. I run a softball league for kids and coach. Dealing with parents is 95% of the hassle of doing it.

And about the expectation of volunteering, I have put in literally hundreds of hours so your kid has a place to play and meet new friends and learn new skills both on and off the field and you (maybe not specifically you) can't give two hours to hand out pinnies at evalutions or rake a field? That selfish attitude blows me away.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #88
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
In my experience minor hockey is more organized than other sports in Calgary. Not meant to be a generalization, but my experience.
Although I run one of those other sports I tend to agree with the generalization. The difference is the number of people willing to volunteer and the sheer numbers of participants. Hockey and to a way lesser extent ringette (just numbers not willingess to help), have a far more dedicated parent base that are willing to help out. That makes running things far easier. Also, when you are talking the scope of minor hockey the sheer logistics means it has to be organized like a military operation.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #89
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A coin toss is fine. This isn't some life altering series. It teaches kids that life isn't always fair and it's a good lesson they should all take to heart, and move on.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #90
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The Patriots just won a coin toss, and then the Superbowl - ATL was given no chance to respond.

Last edited by troutman; 03-21-2017 at 01:36 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #91
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Th Patriots just won a coin toss, and then the Superbowl - ATL was given no chance to respond.
Hockey is more important than football, duh.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #92
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Th Patriots just won a coin toss, and then the Superbowl - ATL was given no chance to respond.
They could have played some Defence.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #93
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
A coin toss is fine. This isn't some life altering series. It teaches kids that life isn't always fair and it's a good lesson they should all take to heart, and move on.
kids are over it, parents are not

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #94
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The lesson is win the game in regulation or ot

should just call it a tie, nobody wins
Old 03-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #95
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
They could have played some Defence.
buuuuuuuuuuuuuurn
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #96
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
And about the expectation of volunteering, I have put in literally hundreds of hours so your kid has a place to play and meet new friends and learn new skills both on and off the field and you (maybe not specifically you) can't give two hours to hand out pinnies at evalutions or rake a field? That selfish attitude blows me away.
Depends on what you mean by volunteering. I helped out on the field with soccer when the kids played. But now with other sports we're getting into fundraising for out of city trips a couple times a month. Thousands of dollars a year out of pocket, and then dozens more hours of fundraising. For kids who are 8 and 9 years old!

Why is there so much more money and time required for young kids to play sports than was the case 30 or 40 years ago? Why so much equipment and clothing and travel? I see no evidence the kids themselves are any better off than kids decades ago. It has to be about something else.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote