Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #41
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincanada80 View Post
2 years at age 45 changes alot. I respect you as a member of this board but I guess we just don't see eye to eye on this one. I stand behind no Jarg. No Iginla. No Doan. See who emerges in camp and make mid-season adjustments if needed
Except that Jagr still had a CF% of 55% last year and had no help from his teammates. Yes, he's slower than he used to be, but not so much that he's a liability. Yes, he needs some line mates that can pick up the slack defensively, but he'll still do his share of the work. The guy is a freak of nature physically and keeps himself in great shape. He's got at least one more good year in him, but maybe as a 2nd liner. The guy has value, that's all I'm saying. I'm not even saying the flames are a fit, but some of the comments about him needed correction. I'm not even sure I want him on the flames, but he's still a very good player.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #42
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Except that Jagr still had a CF% of 55% last year and had no help from his teammates. Yes, he's slower than he used to be, but not so much that he's a liability. Yes, he needs some line mates that can pick up the slack defensively, but he'll still do his share of the work. The guy is a freak of nature physically and keeps himself in great shape. He's got at least one more good year in him, but maybe as a 2nd liner. The guy has value, that's all I'm saying. I'm not even saying the flames are a fit, but some of the comments about him needed correction. I'm not even sure I want him on the flames, but he's still a very good player.
The most logical situation and i have no idea why this hasn't happen yet...

He signs in Vegas on a 1 year deal with Vegas with a limited Ntc with the understanding of being moved at the deadline for picks. Jarg stays in the show and moves to a contender when it matters. The buying team gets a useful player at no cap hit at a time teams need an injection. And Vegas most likely adds 2nd end pick or thereabouts, plus gets to showcase one of the games all time best players for half a season
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Captaincanada80 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #43
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 08-10-2017, 07:56 PM   #44
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The most logical situation and i have no idea why this hasn't happen yet...

He signs in Vegas on a 1 year deal with Vegas with a limited Ntc with the understanding of being moved at the deadline for picks. Jarg stays in the show and moves to a contender when it matters. The buying team gets a useful player at no cap hit at a time teams need an injection. And Vegas most likely adds 2nd end pick or thereabouts, plus gets to showcase one of the games all time best players for half a season
Agreed, although he has a rumoured gambling problem, so maybe not a good fit in Vegas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 08:06 PM   #45
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've said it before that Jagr to me this past season seemed the fastest I've seen him in years. Someone described it as N to S skating well but not E to W. That I'd tend to agree with. But he really seemed fast to me, so I'm not sure where the slow perception has come in this year. Sometimes there are things outside the game that GM's are aware of that we as fans don't know. I find it hard to believe any team can't use a player like Jagr, who can really lean on the puck and can still play keepaway due to his crazy size.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #46
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet Jagr signs with Chicago the minute Hossa is on LTIR for hay fever.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #47
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd much rather hold onto some cap space so they can add some scoring depth at the trade deadline.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 08:55 PM   #48
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Judging by most of his comments etc, I think he is willing to play on any NHL team. Looking to help however he can, while padding his stats and aiming for 2000+ points, and perhaps trying to catch Howe at 801 goals.
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #49
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder what his contract demands have been? Maybe a GM out there is waiting for him to agree to a $1MM or $1.5MM deal, with some bonus potential.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #50
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last I heard, Jagr was asking for at least $4M AAV (and that's too much). Not sure if that's changed.

Last edited by Karl; 08-10-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #51
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Last I heard, Jagr was asking for at least $4M AAV. Not sure if that's changed.
$2.5 mil bonus laden contract would be fair in my opinion and I think he can help all 31 NHL teams to some degree. If you can pay Matt Stajan $3+ mill, Lee Stempniak $2.5 mil, Blake Comeau and Joe Colborne $2.5 mil, Darren Helm $3.8 mil, Matt Read $3.6 mil, Cody Eakin $3.8 mil, then Jagr is certainly worth just as much. He may be older, but I still think he brings more to the table than any of the above players.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #52
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
$2.5 mil bonus laden contract would be fair in my opinion and I think he can help all 31 NHL teams to some degree. If you can pay Matt Stajan $3+ mill, Lee Stempniak $2.5 mil, Blake Comeau and Joe Colborne $2.5 mil, Darren Helm $3.8 mil, Matt Read $3.6 mil, Cody Eakin $3.8 mil, then Jagr is certainly worth just as much. He may be older, but I still think he brings more to the table than any of the above players.
Yes he still has a lot of game left right now, but there's no telling when an aging athlete will lose his game. The risk is not worth it for me.

Because of that, I'm out on Jagr and Iggy. Would rather they go with what they have now and save the cap space for later.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:33 AM   #53
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Except that Jagr still had a CF% of 55% last year and had no help from his teammates.
Haven't been following this conversation, but wasn't Jagr carried by Barkov?
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:25 AM   #54
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only reason not to sign Jagr is he's not the all-time leading points scorer for the Flames. If things don't work out with that guy though, bring Jagr aboard.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:21 AM   #55
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Haven't been following this conversation, but wasn't Jagr carried by Barkov?
Partially, but Barkov was injured for two separate stretches that resulted in losing 1/3rd of the season. Jagr still played very well in his absence.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #56
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
Aren't all the contracts you are using as comparables generally seen to be bad? You can cherry pick really good contracts too. Does Jagr bring more than a $1.75M Versteeg at this stage? Or Cammalleri, Cullen or Sharp at $1M?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #57
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Aren't all the contracts you are using as comparables generally seen to be bad? You can cherry pick really good contracts too. Does Jagr bring more than a $1.75M Versteeg at this stage? Or Cammalleri, Cullen or Sharp at $1M?
Very true, hence why I said a $2.5 mil bonus laden would be a fair contract. It falls in between the "good contracts" and the "bad contracts".
Old 08-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #58
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

All of his goals from this past season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F6VGe9ewsI

StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #59
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

A number of those goals involve good bursts of speed by Jagr's linemate, but for Jagr's part everything is based off of knowing where to be, knowing where to put the puck and having timing. Obviously able to contribute in that way.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #60
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This isn't meant to be offensive to a fan of that team but the panthers finished 13th in the conference. Not saying Jarg was the reason but why even risk it if your the Flames?
Because adding a player who can produce at even strength would go a long way for this team.

5 on 5 points last year (from Natural Stat Trick)
Gaudreau - 38
Monahan - 34
Jagr - 33
Tkachuk - 32
Backlund - 28
Frolik - 27
Versteeg - 20
Chiasson - 20
Bennett - 20
Ferland - 20
Stajan - 20
Brouwer - 11

That... is why you add Jaromir Jagr to what is ostensibly your third line (Versteeg-Bennett-Jagr)

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: