Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #21
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not going to shut down the thread as I think discussions like this are interesting. I'd like to see other GMs try to make suggestions though.
I don't think Scorp is in too tough a bind. If someone claims Martin he gets a ton of clear space, otherwise he certainly has a playable rating.. Or he can buy him out and free up 1.5M in cap space.
Or hang on to him and play him and try to extract value out of him later on the trade market.
In the meantime he is only 650K shy of the cap, which he can get below by waiving Wideman.
So he can ice a team to start the year.
And then work to slowly improve that roster.
But there is no near-term pressure because you've got a full lineup. So you can exercise patience and look to upgrade and extract value when it comes along.

Making bad deals sucks but we all do it. The key is how you pivot from there.
I think buyouts are under-utilized particularly for guys with only 1 year left on deal. Even if you are giving yourself just a bit of flexibility it may be the way to go on a guy like Martin, Hickey or Miller. I would probably buy one of them out if you can't move them for anything.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
MJK
Old 07-24-2017, 02:36 PM   #22
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not only interesting, but valuable to new GM's on what options they have if they find themselves in a bind.

I agree that buyouts are underutilized and with Martin on the last year of his deal this is a very viable option if no one claims him.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #23
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say that the 1st week of UFA is probably not the best market to move bad contracts. everyone wants to hold there cash and hope to get a deal in UFA. You may have better luck later in the season, either after UFA if people struck out or mid-season when a couple sellers are always looking for bad contracts. As grant said, you have a team you can ice and are not ####ed on cap, so be patient and creative with any big tickets you want to shed.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #24
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
I would say that the 1st week of UFA is probably not the best market to move bad contracts. everyone wants to hold there cash and hope to get a deal in UFA. You may have better luck later in the season, either after UFA if people struck out or mid-season when a couple sellers are always looking for bad contracts. As grant said, you have a team you can ice and are not ####ed on cap, so be patient and creative with any big tickets you want to shed.
That's good advice, there are always teams that strike out in FA and will have a lot of cash to burn.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #25
Goffie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing urgent in NYI. Forget about UFAs this year. Ice your team see who performs in the sim. I wouldn't be surprised to see Martin do well. Make hockey deals and gradually shape the roster the way you want it.

Goffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #26
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

instead of going for the short play you should be thinking long term. In that case it doesnt really matter what you do today or next week. In the end get something for your assets when something is offered. At some point someone will need/want them and your window of chance will open. Why worry about bad deals when you arent close to competing for a championship anyways. Hold/Snap/Punt
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #27
Knut

Exp:

Besides.. typically everyone in the first batch gets overpaid. You can get much better bargains later in free agency.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:58 PM   #28
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

This might get interesting soon...

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:33 PM   #29
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never use your favourite song as an alarm