Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:
Default Samsung S8

No Samsung S8 thread?

Looks like a nice device, having almost no bezels and the different aspect ratio is interesting as it makes the phone not that much bigger than the iPhones but the screen is a full inch bigger.

The S8 is 148.9 x 68.1 x 8mm and the iPhone 6 is 138.1 x 67 x 6.9 mm

So it's the phone height that's more, I'll be interested to see one up close to see if the extra height would bug me. Not a fan of the huge phone trend.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

It still has SD Card expandable storage!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 04:14 PM   #3
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be sticking with the S7 and hoping that a Surface Phone is finally announced this year.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I wouldn't be able to sit down with this in my front pocket! Otherwise its a nice phone but I think I'm leaning towards Pixel or OnePlus.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

ill be getting one. my s6 battery just sucks. Probably shouldn't go with samsung again, but the s8 is just too sexy.
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boosterjuice For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Too big for me. I have the 6P and it is nice but the more I use the more I think it is just to big. I am not sure I will buy a new phone anytime soon maybe stick a generation or two behind. Work changed providers and our new deal sucks and we no longer get good deals on hardware. They plan is great but hardware costs are high.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, I might get the S7 as I am in the market for a new phone soon. I'll wait for the cost to drop with the release of the S8.

Last edited by red sky; 03-30-2017 at 11:48 AM.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

If I wasn't already boycotting Samsung the placement of the fingerprint reader would be a deal breaker. Why can't they put it under the camera where it's easy to reach?

It is a beautiful screen though.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

http://fortune.com/2017/03/30/micros...ung-galaxy-s8/

Sounds like they are making the ecosytem more friendly with Microsoft apps as Samsung and Microsoft cosy up. That would be big for work. I do almost everything on O365 or Microsoft apps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 12:32 PM   #10
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

It looks really nice, but I am done with Samsung until they stop adding bloat. I'm not talking just about their apps, but they have to double up on everything Google does. Backup, pictures, and now even their own assistant. It just slows the phone down and kills battery needlessly.

The fingerprint reader on the back takes a couple of days to get used to, but it becomes the most natural thing ever. I now thing fingerprint readers on the screen are dumb, after using the PixelXL for a while.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 10:32 PM   #11
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been using a Note 2 for years and have been looking at upgrading to current-ish generations. I've been really curious about the Zenfone 3 Zoom but the S8+ has me seriously contemplating it. I care most about the camera and the Samsung camera gets great review on the 7 series, same camera on the 8. I'm also very intrigued by the Dex dock. ~$1200 is a crapload for a phone though is hard to stomach...and adding the Dex would be more dear.

Maybe I should just wait for the 7 edge to come down in price. Quandary.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:30 PM   #12
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
It looks really nice, but I am done with Samsung until they stop adding bloat. I'm not talking just about their apps, but they have to double up on everything Google does. Backup, pictures, and now even their own assistant. It just slows the phone down and kills battery needlessly.
If you are technically inclined at all, get a custom rom off of xda developers once they start popping up. There is a learning curve, but I've been using it for a few generations now. I got hooked on the better battery, speed and settings.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:35 PM   #13
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
If you are technically inclined at all, get a custom rom off of xda developers once they start popping up. There is a learning curve, but I've been using it for a few generations now. I got hooked on the better battery, speed and settings.
Yeah, good point. It's unfortunate that it has to be like this as the vast majority of people purchasing the device won't know that this is even an option. It's funny how Samsung can give Android such a bad reputation(crashes, battery life, sluggish performance, etc), but likely accounts for 50% of its market share.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:54 AM   #14
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Yeah, good point. It's unfortunate that it has to be like this as the vast majority of people purchasing the device won't know that this is even an option. It's funny how Samsung can give Android such a bad reputation(crashes, battery life, sluggish performance, etc), but likely accounts for 50% of its market share.
Samsung of the last 2ish years have been the best its been at, even including its slightly slimmed down lower end models that are no long the POS it once was.

Outside of the explosive Notes, I'd say the LG probably wore the goat horns for me with numerous problems in each flagship iteration but it's probably a matter of marketshare and exposure. Samsung is what majority of people use and associate Android with so other brands don't have as much as an effect on a personal and public opinion.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #15
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The GS8 and GS8+ are on display and demo at select Samsung stores, Best Buys, Bell and Telus stores right now.
Link: http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/03/31/sa...ations-canada/

I went down to Deerfoot Meadows Best Buy yesterday to check it out.
I'm an Android purist. Love my Nexus and Pixel phones. But the form factor on my Galaxy S7 edge (my first Samsung since my flip phone) has me coming back to it all the time.

I took this quick video (for my tech review blog) on how you can switch the back and multi buttons at the bottom of the new phones. Samsung always has theirs the opposite way around compared to all other models of Android.

It's a very slick device. I'll be going with the GS8 to replace my Pixel XL. The GS8+ is just a little too long and it's also a bit wider.

edit: I thought I knew how to embed the video. Oh well.
Edit again: figured it out!

Last edited by MrDJZak; 04-02-2017 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Finally figured out how to embed YouTube.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrDJZak For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 03:41 PM   #16
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Here's a side-by-side of the GS8 with my Pixel XL

As you can see there's a lot more screen in a more compact design.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrDJZak For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 08:45 AM   #17
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for these. Interesting you think the + is too wide and long. It is slightly narrower than the xl. I personally like a wider phone as I like the landscape view for photos and such. I've always found those narrower screen constricting for some reason.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:05 AM   #18
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

With the curved screen and finger print reader and junk on that back, doesn't that make it difficult to design cases for these phones?
Old 04-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #19
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Samsung has cases on their site and Spigen has a full line of cases already available.

https://www.spigen.com/collections/galaxy-s8

Old 04-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #20
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love the finger print sensor on the back of the phone but I am not sure I like what Samsung did with theirs. On the nexus and pixel phones it feels like a pretty natural placement, middle of the phone near the top makes sense. Off to the side though? I see that as being awkward but perhaps you get use to it.

It is a pretty slick looking phone, the thin bezels are crazy.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote