Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #21
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
The tow truck was parked on my driveway (approximately halfway between my garage door and the sidewalk). He was blocking my driveway and blocking my car because he was parked across my driveway and across the small portion of shared grass. I'm sure most people would be "pissy" if there was a tow truck parked on their driveway.
Dunno, most people tend to be pretty accommodating over temporary inconviences not order them to leave. Who knows maybe i'm the weird one, actually talking to their neighboors and whatnot.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #22
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
Dunno, most people tend to be pretty accommodating over temporary inconviences not order them to leave. Who knows maybe i'm the weird one, actually talking to their neighboors and whatnot.
You wouldn't mind someone with a tow truck driving up your driveway to move something onto someone else's property without asking you? To each their own but for me I do mind and I didn't like it. And the fact that it prevented me from leaving made me even more upset with the situation.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #23
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You wouldn't mind someone with a tow truck driving up your driveway to move something onto someone else's property without asking you? To each their own but for me I do mind and I didn't like it. And the fact that it prevented me from leaving made me even more upset with the situation.
I wouldn't care, it's just not worth getting all upset about IMO, we've all got to live in this world together, I can't believe that handbook you posted actually exists and worse is some of the stuff in it. We seriously can't get along and need to make laws about some of that stupid ?
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #24
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
It sounds like it's more because the neighbour assumed it was ok and when asked to move Meelapo sounds like he got a "fata off" instead of the tow truck driver moving the truck. If the driver said "I'll just be a minute" and it looked like that was the case then it wasn't worth making a big deal over.

The parking lot around the house though is a concern as that tends to be a slippery slope.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #25
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, I'm with dan02 on this one. I wouldn't have any problem with someone parking on my driveway (don't actually have one, but if I did) for like 15 minutes. Providing they don't damage the paving material or leak fluids on it or anything. It's a driveway, it's built to be driven on. Yeah, it's your property, but I don't see the need to get all defensive about a driveway.

I definitely understand getting angry about being blocked from leaving though, especially if you are in a hurry, and also since they didn't leave when asked.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #26
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I had a post a while back about my neighbor yelling at me for my blue bin sitting too close to his car, which was illegally parked. Once he knew that I knew the car was parked illegally (it was within 5 inches of my driveway, not 1.5 meters), he started running his compressor and lawn mower from 8 to 10 pm nightly. The machines ran nightly until I told him I was in the process of trying to have him labeled as a 'nuisance neighbor' so that a simple 311 call would hit his wallet basically whenever I wanted (I think what happens is the officer would understand that my neighbor was not running his compressor for any other reason than to harass us, which is a no no). I followed that up with telling him to quit being a low life and his wife offered a truce. That might be your best bet, compile everything you have on him, from cars, to oil leaks, to driving on your lawn, parking in your driveway, threats regarding a fence, etc., and then call 311. They can give some guidance
I hated living next to a jerk, but he eventually moved.

It might be cool to change your wireless SSID to something interesting about your neighbor.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #27
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let me get this straight..

There was a tow truck on your driveway temporarily? Then the neighbor parked a broken down truck in HIS driveway? Now there is a van on the road?

Maybe it's just me but I don't really see much of a problem with any of this....

Aside from him telling you to eff off over the tow truck, if that is the case then yes I can see why that would make you mad.. Otherwise it all seems really silly..

If you walked out to the tow truck and escalated things by saying MOVE YOUR TRUCK RIGHT NOW, then it's on you for escalating it and you shouldn't be surprised when he's a an ass in response. But yes I can see why that would make you mad.

However, parking a broken down vehicle in his driveway, and a registered vehicle on the street shouldn't a problem.

Just because you don't like looking at a broken truck doesn't mean the neighbor should bend to your every whim.

What if he puts up lame hideous lawn ornaments that you hate looking at does that mean you should be able to demand he take them down.

Lighten up, if the van's registration runs out, fine, file a complaint. Otherwise I'm not sure what the problem is.

This is all assuming that the truck isn't a safety hazard of some kind.. If it is a safety hazard then continue on.

My question at the end, is now that the two truck is gone, why do you care about a broken truck in the driveway? Just because you don't like looking at it? Or is there some other reason?

Personally if I were to do anything like the neighbor did, I would definitely speak with my neighbor first, so I see it being kind of rude and I can see where there the OP would be annoyed at that......

Last edited by AFireInside; 04-25-2010 at 10:22 PM.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #28
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'm with your neighbour 100%. I'm currently in a minor disagreement with my neighbour because he does not want to replace our shared fence that is 20 years old and literally falling down. There is nothing you can do to compel a neighbour to put in their share for a fence if they don't want to.

Did your fence need replacing? If so, then you owe him some money. Obviously he should have talked to you first but WTH are you complaining about? I'd be over the moon if my neighbour handled all of the hassle of making a fence appear between our yards without me having to lift a finger. It can't be hard to work out what materials cost so pay him 50% of that and throw him a little something for his time as well. You should probably include a note of apology while you're at it.

Until you fix that, I say good on this guy for finding ways to screw you over, although I'm sure he'd just be happier if you paid him the money you owe him.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #29
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'm with your neighbour 100%. I'm currently in a minor disagreement with my neighbour because he does not want to replace our shared fence that is 20 years old and literally falling down. There is nothing you can do to compel a neighbour to put in their share for a fence if they don't want to.

Did your fence need replacing? If so, then you owe him some money. Obviously he should have talked to you first but WTH are you complaining about? I'd be over the moon if my neighbour handled all of the hassle of making a fence appear between our yards without me having to lift a finger. It can't be hard to work out what materials cost so pay him 50% of that and throw him a little something for his time as well. You should probably include a note of apology while you're at it.

Until you fix that, I say good on this guy for finding ways to screw you over, although I'm sure he'd just be happier if you paid him the money you owe him.
What if you get a bill for $5000 for half of it? Or what if it just appears over a weekend and it's a poorly built piece of dog shart? Or what if the fence isn't build on the middle of the property lines....
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #30
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

There was no fence to being with. It was a new fence. The only reason I mentioned the fence business is because he might be using this to just do as he pleases. This has nothing to do with a fence really. The issue is the parking lot and all the broken down cars.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #31
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
Let me get this straight..

There was a tow truck on your driveway temporarily? Then the neighbor parked a broken down truck in HIS driveway? Now there is a van on the road?

Maybe it's just me but I don't really see much of a problem with any of this....

Aside from him telling you to eff off over the tow truck, if that is the case then yes I can see why that would make you mad.. Otherwise it all seems really silly..

If you walked out to the tow truck and escalated things by saying MOVE YOUR TRUCK RIGHT NOW, then it's on you for escalating it and you shouldn't be surprised when he's a an ass in response. But yes I can see why that would make you mad.

However, parking a broken down vehicle in his driveway, and a registered vehicle on the street shouldn't a problem.

Just because you don't like looking at a broken truck doesn't mean the neighbor should bend to your every whim.

What if he puts up lame hideous lawn ornaments that you hate looking at does that mean you should be able to demand he take them down.

Lighten up, if the van's registration runs out, fine, file a complaint. Otherwise I'm not sure what the problem is.

This is all assuming that the truck isn't a safety hazard of some kind.. If it is a safety hazard then continue on.

My question at the end, is now that the two truck is gone, why do you care about a broken truck in the driveway? Just because you don't like looking at it? Or is there some other reason?

Personally if I were to do anything like the neighbor did, I would definitely speak with my neighbor first, so I see it being kind of rude and I can see where there the OP would be annoyed at that......
There is no hood on the truck. The truck is on a jack because it doesn't seem like it can stand on its own.

You're right, if it's on his property it should be fine. It's an eye sore and it's broken down. It's taking up space on his driveway which could be utilized for the other cars he has that he parks on the road.

What if I was trying to sell my house. When people look at a house they look at the neighbours and the area. Would you like to buy a house with a broken down truck next to it? With a whole slew of cars parked everywhere where their would be no room to park your own car or room for your guests to park their car?

Going by what other people have said it would be okay for the neighbour to park on my driveway as long as it's a temporary thing because that's what it's there for.

And if you read all my previous posts I tried talking to him before about the fence and he did was call me names. How would talking to him now fix anything?

Maybe I'm a bad neighbour, maybe I'm not. I didn't like the way he went about the fence business so that's why I didn't pay. If he asked me and we worked on it together it would have been better. There are bylaws out there regarding these things and if I have to abide by them then others should too.

Last edited by Meelapo; 04-25-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #32
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Actually, I'm with dan02 on this one. I wouldn't have any problem with someone parking on my driveway (don't actually have one, but if I did) for like 15 minutes.
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very protective of my property and personal items. It's about respect, I would not drive my car or anything else onto my neighbours property without asking, even for a few minutes. Anyone that does that lacks respect IMO.

Same thing with the fence, building one without consulting your neighbour is being a jerkoff. You're putting up something in a shared space, you owe it to your neighbour to ring the door bell and talk to them about it, come to an agreement. I built a fence last year along the back alley, part of it goes between me and my neighbours garage. Even though I knew he would not mind, I asked him anyway if I could put a post next to his garage. Of course he said yes, but the point is to consult with him or her, keep them in the loop.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #33
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very protective of my property and personal items. It's about respect, I would not drive my car or anything else onto my neighbours property without asking, even for a few minutes. Anyone that does that lacks respect IMO.

Same thing with the fence, building one without consulting your neighbour is being a jerkoff. You're putting up something in a shared space, you owe it to your neighbour to ring the door bell and talk to them about it, come to an agreement. I built a fence last year along the back alley, part of it goes between me and my neighbours garage. Even though I knew he would not mind, I asked him anyway if I could put a post next to his garage. Of course he said yes, but the point is to consult with him or her, keep them in the loop.
That's exactly how I am. My parents taught me if it's not yours then don't touch it. This can be applied to this situation. Sure it's a driveway and putting cars on their is what it's meant for but it's not their driveway it's mine.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #34
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There is no hood on the truck. The truck is on a jack because it doesn't seem like it can stand on its own.

You're right, if it's on his property it should be fine. It's an eye sore and it's broken down. It's taking up space on his driveway which could be utilized for the other cars he has that he parks on the road.

What if I was trying to sell my house. When people look at a house they look at the neighbours and the area. Would you like to buy a house with a broken down truck next to it? With a whole slew of cars parked everywhere where their would be no room to park your own car or room for your guests to park their car?

Going by what other people have said it would be okay for the neighbour to park on my driveway as long as it's a temporary thing because that's what it's there for.

And if you read all my previous posts I tried talking to him before about the fence and he did was call me names. How would talking to him now fix anything?

Maybe I'm a bad neighbour, maybe I'm not. I didn't like the way he went about the fence business so that's why I didn't pay. If he asked me and we worked on it together it would have been better. There are bylaws out there regarding these things and if I have to abide by them then others should too.
As for it being an eyesore, thats your opinion, and it seems very petty. It's in HIS driveway.. Just because you don't like it, it's really silly and petty to start calling the bylaw on him, and it's just going to make it much worse. Time to lighten up a bit.

Maybe thats the problem with most neighborhoods these days, every person living there is concerned with the almighty dollar, and the WHAT IF I WANTED TO SELL MY PLACE scenario.

Worry about it when you want to sell your place. You can play the what if game forever. What if there is a tree a potential buyer has a sever allergy to, what if a potential buyer hates lawn ornaments etc etc etc.

I think it's time to lighten up here a little bit. Fine you think the truck is an eyesore, doesn't mean you have the right to get the owner in trouble.

Maybe his plan is to work on it once the weather gets nicer.

I've had neighbors on both sides of the fence. I've had ones that seem to be on your side, very very uptight and make issues of everything, and I've had those that were inconsiderate, and maybe a little ignorant (one guy used to partially park on our lawn) like your neighbor.

Being pissy about every little detail won't help issues. There is a happy medium here and continually reporting him will just escalate it.

Tow truck in the drive way him telling you to eff off, fair enough, be pissy. Getting uptight because you think a broken truck in his drive way is an "eyesore" well thats getting petty. It's his driveway... It's not like the truck is blocking the sun, or is infested with reptiles, it's not leaking fluids onto your property, it's not parked on your property. Leave it be....

Vehicle on the street. Sure if it doesn't move, and the registration expires, get it towed IF it's a problem.

If the vehicle is not a problem and there are other vehicles constantly parked on the street, why report him? Just to be spiteful?

Honestly the complaints about the vehicles seem to be spite from the fence issue, and secondly the tow truck issue. Time to grow up a little, that applies to both yourself and your neighbor,
Old 04-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #35
FiftyBelow
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You should give 4x4 a call. If I remember correctly, hes quite good at towing vehicles away from park spots.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #36
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
As for it being an eyesore, thats your opinion, and it seems very petty. It's in HIS driveway.. Just because you don't like it, it's really silly and petty to start calling the bylaw on him, and it's just going to make it much worse. Time to lighten up a bit.
I don't think it's petty to not want a broken down piece of junk next to your house. Unless you like living next to an auto wreckers? In my neighbourhood there are several rusted out crap cars in the alley, they just sit there getting in the way and looking terrible. The people that own the places are generally the type that never do anything to improve their property, and are in general just lazy. They mostly sit around drinking beer and act stupid. I'm not saying everyone with a crappy vehicle in their driveway is like that, but often that is the case. (if it's about lack of income, I understand that. But if you can afford parties, beer etc. etc. you can afford to clean up your mess)

There needs to be a basic standard of cleanliness that people should adhere to in a community. If they don't bother with it, then they should be called out. I'm not sure getting the City involved is the right tact, it will just create bad blood. But what is the alternative? Mafia style intimidation? Horse heads in their dining room?

Diplomacy is great and everything, but some people are just a-holes and you will never get anywhere trying to be reasonable. And yes it is all about the money, there is nothing wrong with that. A house is the single largest investment you will likely ever make, it's good to be protective of it and expect people in your community to abide by a basic standard to keep the neighbourhood a desirable place to live.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #37
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never understood why people feel the need to acquire crappy old rust buckets, tow them to their house and just leave them there for years. It's so trashy.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #38
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I don't think it's petty to not want a broken down piece of junk next to your house. Unless you like living next to an auto wreckers? In my neighbourhood there are several rusted out crap cars in the alley, they just sit there getting in the way and looking terrible. The people that own the places are generally the type that never do anything to improve their property, and are in general just lazy. They mostly sit around drinking beer and act stupid. I'm not saying everyone with a crappy vehicle in their driveway is like that, but often that is the case. (if it's about lack of income, I understand that. But if you can afford parties, beer etc. etc. you can afford to clean up your mess)

There needs to be a basic standard of cleanliness that people should adhere to in a community. If they don't bother with it, then they should be called out. I'm not sure getting the City involved is the right tact, it will just create bad blood. But what is the alternative? Mafia style intimidation? Horse heads in their dining room?

Diplomacy is great and everything, but some people are just a-holes and you will never get anywhere trying to be reasonable. And yes it is all about the money, there is nothing wrong with that. A house is the single largest investment you will likely ever make, it's good to be protective of it and expect people in your community to abide by a basic standard to keep the neighbourhood a desirable place to live.
It's absolutely petty. It's in HIS driveway. He doesn't have cars on his lawn, he as an old vehicle in HIS driveway. The van on the street is another issue.

It's petty plain and simple. Is it an eyesore? Maybe, I'm not arguing that..

The truck is in HIS driveway, and it's not making the neighborhood messy, it's irritating a neighbor.

As I stated earlier, I think lawn ornaments are hideous and they bug me, and I'm worried that if I sell my place a potential buyer will be turned off by my neighbours lawn ornaments.

Oh well too bad, it's MY neighbors lawn and it's not infringing on my property whatsoever

May want to get off your high horse, move to a fancier neighborhood. The fact is YOUR idea of what is a desirable neighborhood is different from everyone else. I don't want to live in a neighborhood where neighbors worry excessively about my every action.

I want to live in a neighborhood where the only vehicles in the driveway are newer than 2005. The others are eyesores.

*for the record, I'm not suggesting that it's ok to have multiple rusted vehicles in your yard, but one in your drive way, well it's up to the owner. Leave it be, unless it has an impact on your yard, or becomes a safety hazard. No I don't have a broken vehicle in my possession either.. LOL...

I just get tired of every person in a neighborhood whining about every little petty issue because it affects their resale value....

There is a similar issue that takes place in a lot communities in the U.S. People have to keep their lawn to a particular standard. They have to use a ton of water to keep their lawn growing and green even though there are water shortages, and the grass they are required to have uses more water than other types of grass (that look just as good). This occurs because everyone is concerned with resale. Obviously you don't want a lawn to turn into a dried up desert, but why not use a more resilient type of grass. Nope not allowed, grasses that aren't as green or a certain shade are an eyesore.

Society is turning into a bunch of wussies...... We are raising generations of whiny, me first, wussies..
Old 04-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #39
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayems View Post
I've never understood why people feel the need to acquire crappy old rust buckets, tow them to their house and just leave them there for years. It's so trashy.
Haha I do agree with this. If the vehicle is there for a long time, get rid of it if you are clearly not going to fix it up. But thats just my opinion, doesn't mean I have the right to get my neighbor fined because I don't like it.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:42 AM   #40
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wow, really? I'm glad I don't live next to you.

Sure it's great that the neighbor wants to replace the fence and you don't have to do anything, but it really should be common courtesy to consult with your neighbour before you expect him to pay for something. I'm not opposed to sharing costs for something like a fence at all, but I would expect that they talk to me about it first. Most people live on a budget and have to plan for major expenditures, and fences aren't cheap. I would be some kind of pissed off if my neighbours just went & built or replaced a fence out of the blue and then handed me a bill for a thousand bucks.

I don't know why people have such a hard time communicating these days. I would bet that 90% of neighbourhood issues could be resolved amicably or avoided altogether if people would just talk to each other.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote