Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 06-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:
Default Is it racist to not want to hire somebody because they smell like ethnic food?

Somebody I know was in a position to hire somebody, but chose not to for the sole reason that the candidate smelled like ethnic food. I think that's completely racist, but their argument was the smell made them physically ill for whole day after only spending ~20 minutes with the person. I don't see how that is possible and called the person out, but they are standing by their guns that in spite of being well qualified, the candidate should not be hired because of the odor.

Also, is it even legal to not hire somebody for that reason?

Thoughts?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

What qualifies as ethnic food? Is Italian ethnic?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe if it was an issue of hygiene? I dont know.

Oh, the moral quandaries that we occasionally find ourselves engrossed in.....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

if i interviewed someone and they reeked of overpowering cologne or perfume, i wouldn't hire them either. the smell of certain foods can be quite nauseating to some, i don't blame him if that's the case
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
What qualifies as ethnic food? Is Italian ethnic?
For argument's sake let's call it East Indian.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

They'll find a better job with a better boss.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

What if it's body odour, bad breath or too much perfume/cologne? I'm pretty sure applicants can be turned down if they don't shower, don't brush their teeth or cover themselves in smelly sprays before showing up to an interview.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've fired a white guy once because he stunk. If he stunk when he was applying for the job he wouldn't have been hired in the first place.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
Baxter Renegade
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If the persons smell made them physically ill, then no, its not racist for not hiring them due to this. Not hiring them because they're brown/black/yellow/red is racist.

If the person is making you ill, and possibly making your customers, clients or employees also ill, then hiring them might be an irresponsible decision. I'm sure there's more potential hires that don't have a severe and serious fault.
Baxter Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never find food smells terrible, just the typical bo or rancid fish smell.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If the guy himself was from the same place as the food then yes, that is racist. If he just went out for lunch, he should have changed his clothes.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:
Icon32

If it is a matter of personal hygiene then yes, that is a perfectly legitimate reason not to hire someone, even if they are from another culture.

There are responsibilities for the job seekers who want to apply for jobs to learn more about Canadian workplace Culture. There are many amazing Immigrant serving agencies in and around Calgary which help service that market.

I feel you may be leaving out some details or putting some spin on this - it seems like it is a little more than just smelling like 'ethnic food'.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

The situation is definitely tinged with a bit of racism, but a particular scent can be pretty powerful (in good ways and bad). On my last flight, I spent 6 hours next to an Indian dude who smelled like "ethic food".....and honestly, it was pretty off-putting. Just like being around someone with bad BO, a jersey shower, etc, it's really hard to ignore.

At the end of the day, I think it really depends on if this was a one-time occurrence or if this is how the candidate always smells. If this was his regular scent, I'm not sure I can blame anyone for not wanting to be around it.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #14
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

How many interviews were there. If it was one and he smelled bad try another one. If he smells bad on two then you could assume it would be a constant thing and then you have to decide if it is bad enough to be a problem for co-workers as well. Maybe invite another person from the office into the interview and see if they notice as well.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter Renegade View Post
If the persons smell made them physically ill, then no, its not racist for not hiring them due to this. Not hiring them because they're brown/black/yellow/red is racist.

If the person is making you ill, and possibly making your customers, clients or employees also ill, then hiring them might be an irresponsible decision. I'm sure there's more potential hires that don't have a severe and serious fault.
I've never smelled anything in my life that made me sick all day. Honestly, is that even possible?

The problem with having an issue with a strong ethnic-food odor is it becomes inherently tied to race, which I think makes this a deeper problem and a more veiled form of racism than just a person having a bad smell.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to work with a girl who used to smell like bacon all the time. Even though bacon is yummy, there is something kind of gross when food odour is being expelled through someone's body.

Having said that, I have been know at times to eat so much garlic that I smell like it. I don't do it a lot, but it has been known to happen. It would suck if I didn't get hired because of it.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

I knew before coming in here it would be Indian food, lol. That #### sticks to you. Even if you don't come in contact with it, being in the same house as it is cooked on a daily basis will make you reek of it. It is an entity.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

For me it is more a case of the fact that the person being interviewed could not be bothered to put on clean clothes for a job interview.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
For me it is more a case of the fact that the person being interviewed could not be bothered to put on clean clothes for a job interview.
They were likely clean, but if he is Indian, he likely lives in a house where Indian food is cooked. It doesn't matter if the food gets on your clothes, and it doesn't matter if they were washed just before going out. It will remain with you. Trust me.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #20
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are many, many reasons a potential employer can use not to hire someone and body odour, hygene is one of them.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-13-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racism , racist