Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2023, 11:05 AM   #101
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperiggy View Post
Any tips for discipline? I seem to be okay for a couple days then back into my old habits.
My advice is to draw a hard line in the sand. Half measures and back peddling are harder if you do.

If Saturday is cheat day, then that's it. That's the day.

If Friday is the day you've planned to take off from the gym, then that's it. That's the day.

I went totally clean eating except for one cheat meal a week (pizza with family). No pop, chips etc on other days. It won't work any other way for me as I would slip back into my old ways.

I've been eating a lot of burrito bowls, they're tasty and healthy (skip queso and some other ingredients) I drink water with most of my meals. I eat special k cereal or oatmeal and whole wheat toast and light peanut butter and yogurt and fruit for breakfast. If I grab a sandwich for lunch from subway it's whole wheat with mustard rather than mayo.

I don't eat past 7 pm no matter what.

I explore the healthy food aisle and found new snacks I like. I really, really like "Made Good" brand granola minis and cookies. They're tasty as hell and really decent nutritionally. I was surprised how good they are.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 11:22 AM   #102
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Any tips for discipline? I seem to be okay for a couple days then back into my old habits.
I've made some significant progress since January (closing in on 20lbs). The changes were both diet and exercise.

I have a fitbit, and have used the app. You can set a weight-loss goal, both in terms of amount of weight and timing, and it'll give you a calorie budget for the day. You can log all your food in there and it'll measure your calories against your budget, you goal being to be at or below. It also takes into account extra calories burned when exercising, etc.

I found sticking to logging food incredibly helpful to stay on track and made me think twice if I was feeling tempted to buy a bag of chips or something, as it would push me over my calorie budget, for example.

To be honest, the first 2-3 weeks were the hardest as my body adjusted to me not having junk all the time, and it's still hard, but I'm not feeling as miserable all the time.

On the exercise front, I find it's doing something that's fun and easy to fit into my schedule that has helped the most. I got a Peloton ahead of Christmas last year, and find it engaging, easy to use, quick to get to, and I'm motivated to beat my previous workout's output scores (I've been told I can be competitive).
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:25 AM   #103
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently bought an ab wheel and it's really difficult. I'm ok at pushups but this takes things to another level. You have to ensure your form is good or else it can mess with your back a bit, otherwise it's a great little torture device!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:33 AM   #104
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I find the trick is to make manageable changes.

Pick a gym routine/location that involves the least effort to actually get to. For example, find a gym you can easily stop by on the way to and from work or that is only a few minutes from home. It's all about eliminating the excuses not to go.

If you're hitting the gym hard, 3 times a week is plenty. Stop telling yourself that you need to go everyday and if you miss a day the routine is shattered.

Also, get a kettlebell. Nothing's better for all around fitness. You can come up with a workout that will only be 5-10 minutes. It'll leave you totally gassed and increase your endurance, strength, mobility, etc.. all with a half/hour per week commitment.

I also find the same tricks work for diet. Focus on eating smaller portions, healthier options, fewer snacks, etc...Make smaller but more long term progress. Everyone I know that's tried a crash diet, or a total diet overhaul, sees great results for a few months but then falls off the diet. These massive calorie deficit diets are not that sustainable IMO.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 11:57 AM   #105
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The essence to making lasting, profound change is to figure out what small, permanent steps you can take now that will also encourage you to take more steps in the future. While also maintaining a mentality of being critical enough of oneself to recognize your flaws and to also love oneself enough to see opportunity for improvement. One should also anticipate setbacks and periods of de-motivation, start coming up with techniques for dealing with those when things are going well.

I've always found developing a mantra is powerful tool in working through difficult periods, the idea being that you distill a lot of thinking into a phrase that can remind you of your motivators when you're being challenged, stuff like: "If I can't lift this I am dumb and crap" "I want to enjoy my retirement" "Don't be a bitch" "I am a supple leopard" "get stronk" "Real men eat brown rice". The simpler, the better.

Also, there is no substitute for yoga, everyone should do it. It's the #1 fitness tip I'd give to basically everyone that doesn't do yoga.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 12:03 PM   #106
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone have any experience with the Bowflex Max Trainer? I was thinking about getting one in the next couple months.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 02:47 PM   #107
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I had to completely rework my mental 'reward' system, since it was all food based previously.

The reward for losing weight the previous week is not a can of pepsi. Or 2 chocolate bars. That kind of thing. The reward for keeping up with my program for a month is not "two extra cheat days" or "a weekend off from paying attention."

Look at your reward system, and change up what you need to there.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 03:13 PM   #108
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stop calling them “cheat days”, the word “cheat” in itself causes a psychological stumbling block.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 03:25 PM   #109
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I'll post here now, my wife and I started eating healthy, eating less, and exercising 5-6 days a week (at home, not gym) exactly 2 months ago today, and we've both stuck with it! I've lost 32 lbs (242 down to 210) and my wife has lost 24 lbs (and looks amazing, heck yes).

I really don't like exercise so what I do is fairly lenient compared to most -- I do ab workouts and a little bit of dumbbells, then 35-40 mins on the treadmill of incline power walking.

But the diet is where we made the huge change. Very low processed sugar, gluten free, low carbs, no liquid calories, no snacking -- it's been a big change. Just lots of meat and veggies, a bit of fruit and low carb items sprinkled in.

Anyways, that's my story for now. When we started I wanted to be 199 by the summer, now I'm thinking I might get there by the end of March. Just really happy with how things have gone!

Wish I hadn't donated all my smaller clothes away though, things are starting to get a bit expensive.

Anyways, my personal mantra I use to keep motivated is as simple as it gets -- only two words that are the only two ways to lose weight and get / stay healthy: "Discipline" and "Sweat" -- and when it comes to resisting temptation of junk food, one thing to keep in mind: "Nothing I haven't had before" -- these mentalities have helped me a lot!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 03:27 PM   #110
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm starting my journey as well. We had child #3 in December and I packed on the weight with her. I can't say I've been in good shape since I was in my early 20s (33 now).

Since last summer our habits have been awful. We've been spending all of our time taking care of our kids and making sure they eat healthy, are active and engaged in their schoolwork - but absolutely 0 time on our own physical health.

We started couple's counseling a few weeks ago and it's really changed our perspective on how we're balancing our lives. Bought an air fryer and started meal planning while loosely tracking calories for ourselves. The Whisk app has been amazing for the meal planning, highly recommend.

We bought a Lululemon Studio Mirror for Christmas and have just started using it. It's pretty awesome so far! It's super convenient to have class-like workouts at home. It's going to be a long journey to get into good shape, I'm disgusted with myself at how hard these "easy" workouts are hitting me. I've gone from 222lbs to 215 so far and am looking to get to 195 with a significant body comp change. Currently just doing a beginner weight loss program to get to a point where I'm in good enough shape to build some muscle.

Always fun to share, good luck to everyone trying to make a positive change. If you have any questions about the mirror let me know, my wife absolutely loves it (but that goes for anything with the lulu logo on it)
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 03:39 PM   #111
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I guess I'll post here now, my wife and I started eating healthy, eating less, and exercising 5-6 days a week (at home, not gym) exactly 2 months ago today, and we've both stuck with it! I've lost 32 lbs (242 down to 210) and my wife has lost 24 lbs (and looks amazing, heck yes).

I really don't like exercise so what I do is fairly lenient compared to most -- I do ab workouts and a little bit of dumbbells, then 35-40 mins on the treadmill of incline power walking.

But the diet is where we made the huge change. Very low processed sugar, gluten free, low carbs, no liquid calories, no snacking -- it's been a big change. Just lots of meat and veggies, a bit of fruit and low carb items sprinkled in.

Anyways, that's my story for now. When we started I wanted to be 199 by the summer, now I'm thinking I might get there by the end of March. Just really happy with how things have gone!

Wish I hadn't donated all my smaller clothes away though, things are starting to get a bit expensive.

Anyways, my personal mantra I use to keep motivated is as simple as it gets -- only two words that are the only two ways to lose weight and get / stay healthy: "Discipline" and "Sweat" -- and when it comes to resisting temptation of junk food, one thing to keep in mind: "Nothing I haven't had before" -- these mentalities have helped me a lot!
Well that sounds like a HAPPY NEW YEAR's resolution.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:00 PM   #112
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse
Stop calling them “cheat days”, the word “cheat” in itself causes a psychological stumbling block.

Cheat days are for power-lifters or body builders that benefit from dedicating one day a week to an extremely calorie intensive diet in order to enhance their muscle gains. They need to set aside a day for this because you can't eat a bucket of KFC and then go do a high-intensity workout on the same day. Most of the rest of the time they are eating some combination of unseasoned chicken breast and rice.

The term has been bastardized by reward eaters who usually just end up spinning their wheels and hamstring their progress.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 12:37 PM   #113
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Look up and watch a few episodes of “Secret Eaters”, a great British show complete with their humor. It’s really an eye opener for how we all normalize certain beliefs and actions that affect our food intake - both calorically and quality/health wise.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 01:22 PM   #114
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:

I've been putting 4-5 workouts/wk in my work calendar (both in the office and wfh/lockdown) for a decade now. When I started exercising for real all those years ago, it's what kept me honest - first 2x a week, then 3x, then added the 4th and 5th days over time.

The secret is to experiment, be honest with what really motivates/ demotivates and find what works for you. For me, if it's in my calendar, I just do it - pretty much like how Ron Burgundy reads anything on the teleprompter.
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 01:48 PM   #115
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm trying and struggling so hard to get into good routines. I commit to eating healthier everyday and by noon I've falling for temptations.

I commit to working out 3 days per week and Saturday night I wonder where the week went, not having worked out at all. I do play hockey one day per week and do on ice coaching for my kids two other days, so I'm not completely missing activity but I do need/want to get in my DDPY workouts to work on my strength, flexibility and rehabbing minor nagging injuries.

Hockey season is almost done and I think I can get a regular workout routine going once I'm done coaching and playing hockey. The hardest part is tackling my diet. I'm type 2 diabetic and barely manage my glucose properly but still consume too much calories.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 02:11 PM   #116
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I'm trying and struggling so hard to get into good routines. I commit to eating healthier everyday and by noon I've falling for temptations.

I commit to working out 3 days per week and Saturday night I wonder where the week went, not having worked out at all. I do play hockey one day per week and do on ice coaching for my kids two other days, so I'm not completely missing activity but I do need/want to get in my DDPY workouts to work on my strength, flexibility and rehabbing minor nagging injuries.

Hockey season is almost done and I think I can get a regular workout routine going once I'm done coaching and playing hockey. The hardest part is tackling my diet. I'm type 2 diabetic and barely manage my glucose properly but still consume too much calories.
Can we get a name change to Not-Buff

But on a serious note much of what you have written rings true for me.

I found it so much easier to incorporate exercise into my day when I worked at an office and same can be said about food. If I didn't bring any #### food I generally didn't eat any #### food.

I am trying to be more active, but routine is killing me.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2023, 01:08 PM   #117
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

... and I'm going to have to put my exercise regime on hold for a couple months.

2 or 3 grade AC joint separation is getting in the way. Remember folks, ice is slippery even if you have sharpened skates on your feet.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:04 PM   #118
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
... and I'm going to have to put my exercise regime on hold for a couple months.

2 or 3 grade AC joint separation is getting in the way. Remember folks, ice is slippery even if you have sharpened skates on your feet.
Ouch. Sorry to hear. I hope your recovery goes well.

I ran into for recovery in general and I'm waiting to acquire and incorporate a vibration platform to improve recovery between work outs (bad back) and attempt to help with range of motion type of stuff.

For around $200-350 on Amazon, I think it's worth a try. Way better than >$1K that were being sold at the home and garden show and I don't think $500 ish for the 3D or 4D vibration is necessary? Apparently the best use of these platforms is warm up before the real work out.

https://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blo...fat%20at%20all.

I'll be putting this into rotation with my current foam roller, ring rollers, massage and stretching related recovery regimens. I might also give it a try as a pre-workout as well.

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-10-2023 at 02:06 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2023, 07:48 PM   #119
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
It does not.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 03:01 PM   #120
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

Update on my fitness journey, hit 199 this morning! First time I've seen the other side of 200 in close to a decade.

I've also had to up my cardio / treadmill workouts to include jogging instead of just power walking, the power walking was getting a bit too easy and not getting my heart rate up enough. Best shape I've been in probably ever, even when I was young and skinny I wasn't in good shape, you know? Just good metabolism and working on my feet a lot.

Interested to see how far I can get by the summer now, since I already hit my goal. Set my next goal as 192, which would be down 50 lbs from the start. Not in a big rush though, just happy to have accomplished this.

My reward was ordering a new set of silicone wedding rings, all the ones I have are falling off now lol.

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 04-03-2023 at 03:04 PM.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: