Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #581
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I've seen Calgary finally has LTE coverage and I'm thinking about making the switch.

I'm an iPhone user on the grandfathered $30/6gb data plan with Fido, data aside my plan is pretty underwhelming.

All in I pay $72/month for 150 minutes, no long distance/Canada wide calling, and due to the grandfathered nature of my plan I'm ineligible for data top-ups or some of the more flexible travel options.

So I'm looking into Freedom's larger plans as it seems like I'd get more for less $. But I'm looking for anyone's hands on experience using a ton of data with an iPhone in the city. Live in the deep south, work in the beltline.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #582
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not totally sure but Wind LTE won't work on your iPhone. You'd be stuck with the intermittently unreliable '4G' network that I use. I have a coworker with an iphone 6 on wind and he seems happy with it, except outside the city. The price is right is his (and my) justification.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 07:36 AM   #583
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I'd look into a Koodo plan. Look at the MB/Sask Koodo thread. You can also use the same method to get a Quebec plan with 6 GB of data for $49 per month. If you don't want to do as much of the leg work, cellphoneman will do it for $100. We used him- but if I had to do it again I'd just do it myself.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #584
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaw acquires all the 700Mhz spectrum outside of Quebec from Videotron/Quebecor that was bought at the last spectrum auction. Expect their LTE to improve significantly within the next year and at a frequency that can penetrate concrete extremely well. LTE Band 13 will be what is used so existing phones should work.

Quote:
Concurrently, Shaw also announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement with Quebecor Media Inc. (“Quebecor”) to acquire 700 MHz and 2500 MHz wireless spectrum licences for $430 million (the “Spectrum Transaction”). The spectrum licences being acquired comprise the 10 MHz licences of 700 MHz spectrum in each of British Columbia, Alberta, and Southern Ontario, as well as the 20 MHz licences of 2500 MHz spectrum in each of Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, and Toronto.

“Considering the acquisition of WIND (now Freedom Mobile) in 2016, we now have more synergistic investment opportunities as a leading enhanced connectivity provider within our Canadian footprint,” Mr. Shaw said. “We believe this incremental investment in our wireless business, particularly with the addition of the 700 MHz spectrum, will materially improve our long-term wireless customer experience, and will further enable our ability to offer converged network solutions to our customers.”

“We are excited about our wireless opportunity, and the additional spectrum and network investment will create a compelling wireless experience for our existing and future customers,” Mr. Shaw said. “We are pleased that we have entered into an agreement with Quebecor, and we are excited about putting this spectrum to use for the benefit of Canadians.”
http://newsroom.shaw.ca/materialDeta...lID=6442451998

Last edited by FlameOn; 06-13-2017 at 10:14 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #585
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hm... looks like 700Mhz LTE build out will start in FY2018 which starts in September for Shaw.
Quote:
"In addition to the spectrum acquisition cost, Shaw estimated that capital expenditures associated with the deployment of the acquired spectrum will be approximately $350 million, and that it expects the majority of the capital related to the network build to be incurred during its fiscal 2018."
https://cartt.ca/article/shaw-buys-s...uthern-ontario
Old 06-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #586
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If anyone is looking for a new phone to run on Freedom's new LTE network, the One Plus 5 was just announced this morning, and supports band 66 and band 7. Unfortunately, it doesn't support band 13, Freedom's new 700Mhz spectrum they just acquired.

https://oneplus.net/ca_en/5/specs
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #587
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
If anyone is looking for a new phone to run on Freedom's new LTE network, the One Plus 5 was just announced this morning, and supports band 66 and band 7. Unfortunately, it doesn't support band 13, Freedom's new 700Mhz spectrum they just acquired.

https://oneplus.net/ca_en/5/specs
Hmm, I wonder if its time to update my One Plus One.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #588
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Hmm, I wonder if its time to update my One Plus One.
Probably, if only to support the new bands. LTE for Freedom is band 13/66. Oneplus One supports neither.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:39 AM   #589
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spectrum transfer is approved. Now to see how long it takes for them to turn on the band
Quote:
Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) has approved Quebecor’s $430 million CAD sale of seven Videotron spectrum licenses to Shaw’s Freedom Mobile.

The package included three 700MHz licenses for Southern Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia and four 2500MHz licenses covering Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver.

700MHz is a high-quality wireless frequency that Rogers uses for LTE service, while the majority of the high-frequency 2500MHz spectrum auctioned in 2015 went to Telus.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/07/10/is...spectrum-sale/
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 04:21 PM   #590
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Wouldn't it require new equipment?
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #591
Badabing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anyone have experience with the LTE network on an S8? I'm told I have the right device / plan, but the phone still says 4G in the notification bar. Is that typical?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #592
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badabing View Post
Does anyone have experience with the LTE network on an S8? I'm told I have the right device / plan, but the phone still says 4G in the notification bar. Is that typical?
Once I got the initial update my S8 was able to connect to the LTE network no problem. Is the phone setup to have LTE as the preference in the settings?
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #593
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an A5 and it is working on LTE also.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #594
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Dumb question, but how can you tell what network your phone is running on?
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #595
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Beside the indicator of the number of bars, there should be an icon for 3G, 4G, or LTE. You may have to turn off wifi to be able to see the indicator.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #596
Badabing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks - looks like I might have to chat with Wind (Freedom?).
Old 07-23-2017, 01:57 AM   #597
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been with Freedom for about six months now. But I'm bailing next week (tomorrow if I can be arsed to go to a shopping mall.) The $37 (x2) I pay is just not worth it.

1.) No data when I'm outside of Calgary. Now I knew that going in, but was surprised I didn't have data in Airdrie or Okotoks, and to a lesser extent Nanton, Strathmore, Banff, Canmore. I didn't think it would bother me, but for the dozen or-so times I've been out of town and not had internet, it's maddening.

2.) Spotty internet downtown, or in a mall. Or sometimes even a Costco. Why? is this a ####ing issue, Shaw?

3.) Constantly disconnected when I'm on the move. Forget surfing the web when you're on the C-train or passenger in a car. Even driving down 16th Ave. where you're going 20km/hr and there's a light every 50 feet: disconnected. Again, maddening.

I've never had a problem with cellular reception, but as my life revolves around the internet these days, Freedom is no good for me.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:05 AM   #598
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

My buddy was saying the same thing. He thought he was hot ####, was bragging that he got his 8GB/$65/month plan, and in the end he just ended up getting boned. Had to fork over a downpayment for a new phone, since 'older' phones (even some 2 years old models) don't work with the Freedom network. Then spotty reception all around town. Calls drop repeatedly. Takes minutes to reconnect back to the network. The problems go on and on.

In the end it was too good to be true. We'll just have to accept the fact that if you want reliable cell service in Canada, you are stuck with one of the big 3 at exuberant prices and there's nothing you can do about it.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 07-23-2017 at 02:08 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:16 PM   #599
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I've been with Freedom for about six months now. But I'm bailing next week (tomorrow if I can be arsed to go to a shopping mall.) The $37 (x2) I pay is just not worth it.

1.) No data when I'm outside of Calgary. Now I knew that going in, but was surprised I didn't have data in Airdrie or Okotoks, and to a lesser extent Nanton, Strathmore, Banff, Canmore. I didn't think it would bother me, but for the dozen or-so times I've been out of town and not had internet, it's maddening.

2.) Spotty internet downtown, or in a mall. Or sometimes even a Costco. Why? is this a ####ing issue, Shaw?

3.) Constantly disconnected when I'm on the move. Forget surfing the web when you're on the C-train or passenger in a car. Even driving down 16th Ave. where you're going 20km/hr and there's a light every 50 feet: disconnected. Again, maddening.

I've never had a problem with cellular reception, but as my life revolves around the internet these days, Freedom is no good for me.
Clearly, you didn't do your homework.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #600
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
In the end it was too good to be true. We'll just have to accept the fact that if you want reliable cell service in Canada, you are stuck with one of the big 3 at exuberant prices and there's nothing you can do about it.
Koodo, Virgin and Fido are good alternatives. Same coverage as their parent companies for less money.