Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2024, 06:54 PM   #61
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

This doesn’t seem very smart for the Flames. Particularly when Sportsnet very actively markets your arch rivals star players so much and so aggressively you’d think the Flames would want to get a different voice. The constant McDavid marketing and pandering has been a huge factor in making a huge amount of kids into Oiler fans. Tij Iginla being one per the other thread.

When I lived in Saskatoon last year, so many kids are Oil fans. I get that he’s the best player, but the way Sportsnet markets that team does a lot of damage to the Flames and Flames brand IMO, and so I’m surprised they’d want to lean into some kind of long-term deal.

If I was at that negotiating table there would have been some pretty firm messages about how things need to change. You have so many kids in rural, central AB, SK or BC that might otherwise be Flames fans and then just brainwashed into the mindless borg of Oiler obsession. Propaganda works.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:07 PM   #62
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
This doesn’t seem very smart for the Flames. Particularly when Sportsnet very actively markets your arch rivals star players so much and so aggressively you’d think the Flames would want to get a different voice. The constant McDavid marketing and pandering has been a huge factor in making a huge amount of kids into Oiler fans. Tij Iginla being one per the other thread.

When I lived in Saskatoon last year, so many kids are Oil fans. I get that he’s the best player, but the way Sportsnet markets that team does a lot of damage to the Flames and Flames brand IMO, and so I’m surprised they’d want to lean into some kind of long-term deal.

If I was at that negotiating table there would have been some pretty firm messages about how things need to change. You have so many kids in rural, central AB, SK or BC that might otherwise be Flames fans and then just brainwashed into the mindless borg of Oiler obsession. Propaganda works.

Look. Let’s be realistic here

The Oilers had 2 players over 100 points this year and 3 last year. Including a guy over 160 points, more than 2x the Flames’ top guy

Edmonton is clearly no good, that’s indisputable, but the Flames had no point per game players. One guy over 60 points this year and 2 last year

Calling it propaganda is one thing, but what on earth have the Flames given Sportsnet to talk about?
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 07:12 PM   #63
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus, there's more Oiler fans than there are Flames fans is this market (provincially).

When the Oilers has one of the most marketable players in the league right now, are a team that makes the playoffs each year, and have the media hype that always expects them to be a cup contender (whether that's valid or not), they're going to get a lot more attention than a team that can't make the playoffs, and has... Who?

Flames can get attention again when they're worth talking about.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:25 PM   #64
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Plus, there's more Oiler fans than there are Flames fans is this market (provincially).

When the Oilers has one of the most marketable players in the league right now, are a team that makes the playoffs each year, and have the media hype that always expects them to be a cup contender (whether that's valid or not), they're going to get a lot more attention than a team that can't make the playoffs, and has... Who?

Flames can get attention again when they're worth talking about.
LOL

During the 14-year Decade of Darkness, did Sportsnet focus their attention on the Flames? Hardly. Has anyone forgotten Oil Change? Or the fact that they did FOUR seasons of it?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 07:25 PM   #65
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Do you guys think the Flames would get this level of attention if they had these types of players? I guess it’s possible. I’m a bit skeptical though because I hate Sportsnet so much lol
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:33 PM   #66
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
LOL

During the 14-year Decade of Darkness, did Sportsnet focus their attention on the Flames? Hardly. Has anyone forgotten Oil Change? Or the fact that they did FOUR seasons of it?
Who could forget? It was great entertainment for all of us. 😁

At the same time, Flames weren't doing anything special if I recall correctly. Was that the same time the Flames begun their playoff drought with Brent Sutter?

But again, it comes back to where Rogers is getting most of their money from, because that's where they're gonna go. If most people in this province - and nationally - are going to focus on the Oilers more than the Flames, then the Flames need to cause a disturbance that would make them more relevant than the Oilers. Best way to do that is to have superstar players that generate viewership, and be viewed as a cup contender in the media landscape.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 08:22 AM   #67
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I was half-surprised that this wasn't part of the announcement. 3 arenas in Western Canada plus a stadium in Toronto might just be a little too much even for Rogers.

My guesses for the new arena sponsors are: Scotiabank, Telus, WestJet, or SportChek.
The Calgary PC Optimum Points Hockey Facility
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 09:34 AM   #68
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Who could forget? It was great entertainment for all of us. 😁

At the same time, Flames weren't doing anything special if I recall correctly. Was that the same time the Flames begun their playoff drought with Brent Sutter?

But again, it comes back to where Rogers is getting most of their money from, because that's where they're gonna go. If most people in this province - and nationally - are going to focus on the Oilers more than the Flames, then the Flames need to cause a disturbance that would make them more relevant than the Oilers. Best way to do that is to have superstar players that generate viewership, and be viewed as a cup contender in the media landscape.
We were discussed in most outlets as a contender as recently as two years ago. We had the best line in hockey.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:42 AM   #69
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
On the positive side, Huberdeau is no longer the worst Flames long-term contract.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2024, 10:03 AM   #70
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Decade of darkness.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 10:10 AM   #71
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

A baker’s decade of darkness.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 12:30 PM   #72
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
Probably not bad guesses - although I’d say probably Canadian Tire would replace SportChek (Canadian Tire owns SportChek).
That's why I thought SportChek would make sense.

We know CT is willing to pay to sponsor an arena because it already has its name on the arena in Ottawa, but it doesn't make sense to have their name on 2 arenas (although that hasn't stopped Rogers, Bell, or Scotiabank). Plus, SportChek is a Calgary company, so that would be a good connection.
Old 04-27-2024, 01:07 PM   #73
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
LOL

Oil Change was aired on Sportsnet (nationally but CityTV locally) but it wasn't a Sportsnet production. It was literally an Oilers production designed to hype up their rebuild by the Oilers themselves. Their (now former) vice president of and director of broadcasting Don Metz was the executive vice president. The Oilers shot it produced it edited it and gave it to Sportsnet to air. Same with with that Connor McDavid injury documentry a couple years back.

If the Flames wanted to do the same Sportsnet would air it.
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 01:12 PM   #74
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would the Flames want to do another four seasons of Oil Change?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote