Old 05-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #6421
ernie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
SAP is terrrible

Call me
Fortune 500 company converting over worldwide since about 3 years ago to 3 years from now.

When one country switched over they couldn't ship product for over 2 weeks because they couldn't move the material properly in SAP. It's not going so bad with our business but there have been some major growing pains.

But it's not fun.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #6422
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I can only assume you mean today. And I can only then assume you didn't check the forecast.
i've considered contacting provincial governments during forest fire season with the proposition of getting me, my truck and everything i need to make my truck sparkling clean close to a forest fire and i can pretty much guarantee rain in less than 24 hours

Old 05-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #6423
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can only assume you mean today. And I can only then assume you didn't check the forecast.
To be honest, the last time I checked was yesterday early-afternoon. Then today I got up, saw the nice weather, had my breakfast and coffee, and did my thing ('Cause the shady spot to wash it only lasts until noon). I should have known better, and re-checked the forecast this morning but no, I didn't.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #6424
socalwingfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wake up to news about Chris Cornell's death and my dog starts radiation treatment tonight - what a ####ing ####ty day
Old 05-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #6425
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Are we talking running part of the way and walking part of the way? Then yeah, most reasonably fit people could do it.

Running without walking for 42? Sorry, whatever we are biologically adapted to do, most people are going to have to work up to that. Most 'run a marathon' programs ramp up over something like 8 months. And the biggest thing preventing most people from achieving them is injury. Pretty tough to will yourself to not get injured if you're not already a limber and fit athlete.
I don't disagree CliffFletcher. Because most people are unfit and fat. At least in Canada. 60% of adults are classified as overweight. Of the already small 40% of people not overweight, many of those people are not getting the recommended exercise and cardio that medical professionals suggest. They may not be fat, but they aren't fit. That's really my gear grinder, how unhealthy the west is at this point.

I'm not saying that running a marathon isn't a great accomplishment. It is for many people. Unfortunately, so is being able to see your feet when you look down and not just a big ol' stomach. What I'm saying is that it shouldn't be an amazing accomplishment.

The bar shouldn't be so low that running a marathon is seen as this great accomplishment, this amazing near impossible feat. It shouldn't be an insult to marathon runners that people don't bask in their glory when they tell people they ran a marathon and people don't know how far it is. It should be a standard that "anyone" who wants to put in a couple months of efforts should be able to accomplish because "everyone" should already have the cardio foundation and fitness level that makes it just a little bit of extra effort. Of course that's not the case, Canada's full of fatties.

And, again, I say this as someone who not long ago was one of the laziest fat ####s you'd ever meet.

Also I strongly disagree at 8 months being the time it takes to ramp up to a marathon. From personal experience, it's no where near that.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 05-18-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #6426
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I would be fascinated to know what you think is an amazing accomplishment.
Beating cancer?

Saving a life?

Taking care of the less fortunate and more vulnerable members of our society?

Serving your country in the military?

Amazing accomplishments change lives! Running a marathon is a personal achievement and you can take a great deal of pride in but it is far down the list of 'amazing accomplishments'.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #6427
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Beating cancer?

Saving a life?

Taking care of the less fortunate and more vulnerable members of our society?

Serving your country in the military?

Amazing accomplishments change lives! Running a marathon is a personal achievement and you can take a great deal of pride in but it is far down the list of 'amazing accomplishments'.
I can't tell if this post is sarcastic or if you're just too dumb to separate personal accomplishments with important things that help others.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:38 PM   #6428
MoneyGuy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
You mean you've ran all those distances.
No.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #6429
InglewoodFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Incompetence GMG. Oldest kid broke his wrist jackassing around a couple of years ago. Gets it casted, does what the doc says, everything seems to be fine. Fast forward to last week, same wrist is bugging him so we take him for an x-ray. Urgent care doc doesn't like what he sees, gives us a referral to orthopedics. Ortho appointment today and the doctor kinda loses it when he checks the xrays. Apparently something pretty major was missed and he is pissed at whoever missed it. Turns out the doc from 3 years ago is no longer with AHS.

Now we have an appointment with a hand surgeon, and it is only by absolute luck that the bone didn't end up necrotizing. Kid is looking at a bone graft and pins in his mid teens. 20 week recovery. Most heartbreaking part is he is in the middle of lacrosse season and it is his favorite thing in the world. And he is done for the season, and maybe forever if things don't go perfectly according to plan.

All because some doctor missed something super obvious (according to three subsequent doctors).
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #6430
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I can't tell if this post is sarcastic or if you're just too dumb to separate personal accomplishments with important things that help others.

Apparently it is you who are too self centred to understand that a personal accomplishment is certainly legit but something to be satisfied with on a personal level, not really something to brag about or believe to be deserving of worship by other runners or non-runners.

Some marathoners here believe the unworthy should be kissing their sneakers because you ran far. I'm too lazy to see whether you were one of those a-holes.

No thanks, I'll reserve my admiration for those who unselfishly try to make our community and world a better place.

IMO, a real runner, would run for the pure enjoyment of challenging oneself, as well as the solitude, time to think, etc. I'm confident that a real runner wouldn't look down on those running shorter distances. I have a feeling he'd respect their reasons for running and not any need to feel superior.

Just a thought - Why don't we get an extreme or ultra-marathoner on here to #### all over the puny 42 K races they're running.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #6431
calf
Franchise Player

Exp:

calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #6432
Amethyst
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think people who run 5Ks and 10Ks are great. Except for those who do so and then say they ran a marathon. I guess they can now just claim it's an alternative fact.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:25 PM   #6433
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I walked the 35 feet from my car to my front door when I got home from work. Today I found out that's the same as running a marathon. I'm very excited to tell people who finished a marathon that we did the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak
nvm stupid comment
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 10:47 PM   #6434
slots881
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Apparently it is you who are too self centred to understand that a personal accomplishment is certainly legit but something to be satisfied with on a personal level, not really something to brag about or believe to be deserving of worship by other runners or non-runners.

Some marathoners here believe the unworthy should be kissing their sneakers because you ran far. I'm too lazy to see whether you were one of those a-holes.

No thanks, I'll reserve my admiration for those who unselfishly try to make our community and world a better place.

IMO, a real runner, would run for the pure enjoyment of challenging oneself, as well as the solitude, time to think, etc. I'm confident that a real runner wouldn't look down on those running shorter distances. I have a feeling he'd respect their reasons for running and not any need to feel superior.

Just a thought - Why don't we get an extreme or ultra-marathoner on here to #### all over the puny 42 K races they're running.

I'm training for a 125km race. I do 45+km runs every month to get base mileage.
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slots881 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 10:58 PM   #6435
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slots881 View Post
That's an accomplishment I can put my stamp of approval on!

GreatWhiteEbola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:59 PM   #6436
MoneyGuy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Meh, that's no harder than a 5K or a 10K race.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 06:33 AM   #6437
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I'm glad someone here finally whipped out the biggest dick, this was getting tedious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 07:40 AM   #6438
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can jog from Airdrie to downtown Calgary in 15 minutes
Old 05-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #6439
OMG!WTF!
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I can jog from Airdrie to downtown Calgary in 15 minutes
Jog? You've got to be kidding. You can't say jog around "runners".
OMG!WTF! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:58 AM   #6440
8 Ball
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Well I'm glad someone here finally whipped out the biggest dick, this was getting tedious.
Runners don't have dicks.They get in the way.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote