Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #6261
Jeromer2.0
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I get what your saying but a lot of people put in work in the evenings and on the weekends in their jobs and they're not getting credit for it, and they're working 12 months a year.

A tax accountant might have to put in unpaid overtime to keep up during the tax season. I know I put in a lot of extra time doing proposal work and meeting preparation outside of normal hours that aren't being paid for.

That's just the cost of being job effective.
You guys are ripping educators?!?! This forum never ceases to amaze me. If you're actually comparing the hours a tax accountant is putting in vs. a classroom teacher then you clearly have no idea what MOST educators do. I play hockey with a number of teachers and I can say with 100% that most of them work 60-70 works per week when you factor in assessment, coaching, extra-curricular and other leadership responsibilities. Lesson plans and assessment are a part of the job, but it's our educators who are volunteering their time and energy all across our city coaching school and community sports, mentoring, teaching fine arts in our community... I'm fairly new to this forum but I've got to believe we're better then this narrative.
Jeromer2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #6262
Jeromer2.0
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I get what your saying but a lot of people put in work in the evenings and on the weekends in their jobs and they're not getting credit for it, and they're working 12 months a year.

A tax accountant might have to put in unpaid overtime to keep up during the tax season. I know I put in a lot of extra time doing proposal work and meeting preparation outside of normal hours that aren't being paid for.

That's just the cost of being job effective.
You guys are ripping educators?!?! This forum never ceases to amaze me. If you're actually comparing the hours a tax accountant is putting in vs. a classroom teacher then you clearly have no idea what MOST educators do. I play hockey with a number of teachers and I can say with 100% certainty that most of them work 60-70 works per week when you factor in assessment, coaching, extra-curricular and other leadership responsibilities. Lesson plans and assessment are a part of the job, but it's our educators who are volunteering their time and energy all across our city coaching school and community sports, mentoring, teaching fine arts in our community... I'm fairly new to this forum but I've got to believe we're better then this narrative.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #6263
CarlLester
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromer2.0 View Post
I play hockey with a number of teachers and I can say with 100% certainty that most of them work 60-70 works per week when you factor in assessment, coaching, extra-curricular and other leadership responsibilities.
Well with that sample size, I suspect you've won the argument. And you might be late for school.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:31 AM   #6264
Jeromer2.0
Draft Pick

God Forbid somebody bring some intelligence and sheer common sense to this conversation. My sincere apologies to all the tax accountants in the community who selflessly give their time and energy to our adolescent population. I'm not in education--just have an awerness to what's actually going on in my community.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #6265
CarlLester
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Any idea what this thread title is? Stuff grinds people's gears. Some you might think are legit, others not.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:46 AM   #6266
GordonBlue
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You guys are ripping educators?!?! This forum never ceases to amaze me. If you're actually comparing the hours a tax accountant is putting in vs. a classroom teacher then you clearly have no idea what MOST educators do. I play hockey with a number of teachers and I can say with 100% that most of them work 60-70 works per week when you factor in assessment, coaching, extra-curricular and other leadership responsibilities. Lesson plans and assessment are a part of the job, but it's our educators who are volunteering their time and energy all across our city coaching school and community sports, mentoring, teaching fine arts in our community... I'm fairly new to this forum but I've got to believe we're better then this narrative.
no. people are not ripping educators, but the steady decrease in instruction time, and the constant complaining from teachers and their supporters about how much more teachers work than everyone else.
like the rest of the population doesn't have to work on their own time without pay.
factor in the amount of hours a teacher works over the course of a full year compared to any other profession, and I bet they don't put in more time.

so no, the job itself isn't getting ripped, but the attitudes of those in and around the profession often get ripped.

besides, this is the gear grinder thread. whinging teachers are a gear grinder. besides, if they're as busy as you say, when do they have the time to play hockey?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 07:56 AM   #6267
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
This is hilarious.

I don't think you realize how far 42km is. If you've run at all in your life you would understand why it's an accomplishment.

What's the farthest you've ran and how long did it take?

42km takes you from Balzac to past South Health Campus on Deerfoot. On foot. The entire length of the city and then some.
80k is my longest day but it's just a trail run/hike and not some epic accomplishment that needs a bumper sticker. And to the person running a 5k or a 10k and calling it a marathon might be a more difficult accomplishment for them. For someone to degrade the 5k or 10k that someone else as doing as taking away from there long run is ridiculous. They just put there feet in front of each other for longer period of time.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #6268
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
If a marathon is nothing special, then why do people who run other distances tell people they ran a marathon?
Probably because the race that they entered is called "the Calgary Marathon"
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:04 AM   #6269
Jeromer2.0
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
no. people are not ripping educators, but the steady decrease in instruction time, and the constant complaining from teachers and their supporters about how much more teachers work than everyone else.
like the rest of the population doesn't have to work on their own time without pay.
factor in the amount of hours a teacher works over the course of a full year compared to any other profession, and I bet they don't put in more time.

so no, the job itself isn't getting ripped, but the attitudes of those in and around the profession often get ripped.

besides, this is the gear grinder thread. whinging teachers are a gear grinder. besides, if they're as busy as you say, when do they have the time to play hockey?
This conversation never begins with an educator declaring they work more the average person--but rather someone complaining about some inconvenience caused by teachers. Simple math would suggest that if the average teacher is working on average 15-20 hours per week more then the average worker--multiplied by 40 weeks each year....not sure your math works. I've always had a respect for the work educators do--but even more so now with two boys who are heavily involved with extra curricular--and the vast majority of coaches, board members and volunteers are educators. So instead of perpetuating this false narrative I will respectfully defend the profession that really makes this community thrive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeromer2.0 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #6270
MoneyGuy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Probably because the race that they entered is called "the Calgary Marathon"
Is it though? Isn't it the Calgary Marathon Weekend which includes various races?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #6271
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

The level of teacher jealousy here seems huge.

There is not way I would want to be a teacher.

Spending my day with little ####s, nope, no thank you.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #6272
chedder
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There's not a snowball's chance in hell that the average teacher works 15-20 hours more per week than the average worker, whoever this average worker is. Anyway, grinds my gears that this dead horse is being beaten yet again.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #6273
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not jealous of teachers. But I think it's funny how there's this indignation when people don't fawn over the dedication and "extra hours" they put in. It's a job. They have a powerful union and are well compensated.

I've spent six of the last seven weeks on the road for work all over the continent. Long drives, late night flights, missing out on personal activities and family, exhaustion, etc. I'm certainly not looking for people to feel sorry for me, nor will I ever feel sorry or sympathy for teachers. It's a job.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #6274
ernie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
There's not a snowball's chance in hell that the average teacher works 15-20 hours more per week than the average worker, whoever this average worker is. Anyway, grinds my gears that this dead horse is being beaten yet again.
What's the average worker work? 8 hours a day/40 a week? At the office I work 8:00-4:30 (I unfortunately "get" to work nearly every evening at home but most don't).

I drop my kids off at 7:15 the teacher is there. I pick them up 5:15-5:30 and the teacher is there. I'd wager that at least at our school the teachers are working 50+ hours a week. And not to beat a dead horse but teachers I know spend a lot of their summer and breaks working to prepare lessons for the next year/semester. It isn't a straight holiday for them.

They do work pretty long hours, it isn't an easy job and they have tremendous responsibility in turning out capable citizens when all is said and done. They are woefully underappreciated in society and for the most part underpaid for the important function they serve. My opinion. Consider the horse beaten.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #6275
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
How is this ripping educators at all? Everyone works extra hours on their jobs and don't get paid for it.

I simply pointed out that a lot of people as part of their jobs put in evenings and weekends without pay and work a 12 month schedule.

That's sometimes the price of the job your in and teachers are no exception to that. I also pointed out that a lot of people do it while working 12 month schedules.

But to sit there and say that teachers work 60 to 70 hours a week, fine, thats admirable but again they also work a what 9 month schedule so its hard for me to fawn over them.

Everyone works hard in their jobs, and everyone makes sacrifices for their jobs thats just life.

Its not ripping teachers, its just life.

And having someone say well they work an extra hour or two a night so do the math is almost an arrogant statement that their sacrifice of time is greater then other people.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #6276
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Some people put running a marathon up there as their highest accomplishment in life. Having someone do a 5k or 10k and call it a marathon cheapens it for these people I guess.
With all due respect, a marathon should not be looked at as some great accomplishment by itself. I mean there's certainly times that I could never hope to accomplish, so someone qualifying for the Boston Marathon should be extremely proud. But running the marathon at a 5 MPH comfortable pace, or roughly 5 hours and 15 minutes, should be doable. Oprah finished one in under 4 and a half hours.

I mean in terms of evolution, just yesterday our ancestors were hunting down antelopes by chasing them for 5 hours in the scorching African sun until the antelope died of heat stroke or just gave up and got stabbed. A practice still used today by certain people. We're alive today because a 42 KM run wasn't some crazy feat to our ancestors, it was dinner.

A marathon shouldn't be considered up there as one our highest accomplishments. A normal healthy adult should be able to train (running once or twice a week) mixed in with the normal recommended cardio for a couple months and be able to do one. Unfortunately the average person is no longer a normal healthy adult, Canadians are fat, unhealthy and unfit. And I say that as someone who went from class 2 obese to running a marathon.

And also a sub 19 minute 5K, a sub 40 minute 10K, or a sub 1:35 half are all far "harder" accomplishments than running a marathon in 4 and half hours I suspect. I get the gear grinder, but it's not an intentional insult and I'm more concerned that we're at the point that people are considering a marathon as some unattainable distance for most people. It really shouldn't be.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 05-17-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: should have said harder, not easier
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #6277
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Is it though? Isn't it the Calgary Marathon Weekend which includes various races?
You're not wrong. But it's extremely easy to see why people would be confused when nearly everything during the race is branded as the Scotiabank Calgary Marathon. Here's the badge for 10 KM for example:

If you didn't know what a marathon's actual definition was, it would seem to make sense that you just participated in the Calgary Marathon with a badge like that.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #6278
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys are all wrong:

The name "Marathon" (Μαραθών) comes from the herb fennel, called marathon (μάραθον) or marathos (μάραθος) in Ancient Greek, so Marathon literally means "a place full of fennels". It is believed that the town was originally named so because of an abundance of fennel plants in the area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon,_Greece
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #6279
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
They do work pretty long hours, it isn't an easy job and they have tremendous responsibility in turning out capable citizens when all is said and done. They are woefully underappreciated in society and for the most part underpaid for the important function they serve. My opinion. Consider the horse beaten.
And yet there are no shortage of people lining up to become teachers. And if they're woefully underappreciated in Alberta, how about you name some of the countries where they are appreciated? Where they're paid more and work fewer hours?

Let's look at an international comparison:

Spoiler!

Alberta teacher salaries are much higher than the Canadian average, with salaries of $92,500 at 10 years of experience. Put Alberta in that chart and it has the highest teacher salaries in the world outside of tiny Luxemberg.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #6280
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Relevant to the marathon discussion.

Audio.
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/irrelevantsh...?autoplay=true