Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #41
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
How can someone think that he wasn't targeting the head?
Oh come on, how can someone think that he is?? I mean objectively, how could you come to that conclusion.

I am fine with this if we're doing it for everyone. Every hit where the head is the principle point of contact is a multi-game suspension, whether or not intentional and wheter or not practically avoidable. But that's not the way it is now. Actually I'm not sure I would want it that way because it would eliminate hits like Kronwall on Voracek.

Either way though the standard is wildly inconsistent. Edler's last suspension was kind of ridiculous too (the Mike Smith getting in his way and then flailing around like a wounded walrus the way he always does), so the repeat offender thing doesn't really fly in my view. Unless you're, wink wink, taking into account the Staal knee on knee which was just brutal.

Anyway I always am going to side with the player when a play appears to be a hockey play that owing to some unintended event (like a player stretching out for a puck) becomes an illegal check. My view remains that intent-to-injure situations are the ones where significant supplemental discipline is warranted. EDIT: For example, Brad Stuart's hit on Rick Nash's head was for me a fair bit worse, but received the same number of games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Its very similar to the hit on Naslund which so many Canuck fans were upset about...
Only vid I can find of the Naslund hit is here at :20. Difference to me is that Naslund's already wayyy stretched out when Moore starts his path to go hit him. Hertl's crouch happens more at the last second after Edler's already moving in that direction. Moore, however, did play the puck first so it wasn't just a straight up "he's attempting to kill their star player". But yeah I agree with you there are definitely some similarities.

Last edited by 19Yzerman19; 10-11-2013 at 02:59 PM.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #42
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
I might get flamed for this (sorry for the pun), but some of us Flames fans need to push the hatred for the Canucks out of our minds and look at the hit objectively; if this was a Flames player getting suspended for this hit (where there was no penalty on the play and the player appears to not be injured), how would we feel?
Na, where is the fun in that? He should have got 10 games! worst hit i have ever seen.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #43
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I watched it live I immediately thought suspension. It clearly looked like the head was the principal point of contact (having the helmet pop off like that is a bit of a giveaway).

I also thought (live) that Hertl didn't have the puck, which would make it much worse. I admit that, once I saw it in slow-mo, Hertl did make brief contact with the puck just about the same time that Edler drilled him. However, I don't think that completely exonerates Edler.

I believe it was suspension-worthy. I don't think it was overly brutal or anything though. And I don't know Edler's past track record.

I expected (and hoped for) two games. I don't think 3 is unreasonable.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #44
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not one of those Canucks fan who thinks the NHL is out to get us, but after this I really begin to wonder. Did his helmet popping off have something to do with it?

I don't even know what to think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #45
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
I'm not one of those Canucks fan who thinks the NHL is out to get us, but after this I really begin to wonder. Did his helmet popping off have something to do with it?

I don't even know what to think.

Reverse it and try to imagine what you would think if that was Sedin or Kesler's helmet flying off.

That's what you should think.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #46
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

This shoulder right to the head is very similar to the hit Stajan took from Marc Staal and there was no suspension on that one. I think everyone here thought it deserved one at that time.

On the other foot Glencross got some games for a shoulder to head on Drury. I think the NHL may be starting to go down that road similar to the NFL, where hits where the primary contact is the head will be frowned upon and penalized.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #47
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
This shoulder right to the head is very similar to the hit Stajan took from Marc Staal and there was no suspension on that one. I think everyone here thought it deserved one at that time.

On the other foot Glencross got some games for a shoulder to head on Drury. I think the NHL may be starting to go down that road similar to the NFL, where hits where the primary contact is the head will be frowned upon and penalized.
I think everybody just wants some consistency from the NHL....
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #48
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Reverse it and try to imagine what you would think if that was Sedin or Kesler's helmet flying off.

That's what you should think.
Honestly I am not one of those fans who would be up in arms if the roles were reversed.

This did not deserve a suspension and I would say the same thing if someone like Raffi Torres did the same thing to Daniel Sedin.

Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #49
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

first off, the same thing wouldn't happen to one of the Sedin's or Kessler... They would have seen the hit coming and dove ahead of time and would still be rolling on the ice like they were shot. When a hit like this does happen to a canuck, their over reaction usually makes the resulting suspension worse... You think the NHL might be out to get the canucks, well if that is the case there is probably a good reason. The canucks have spit in the face of classy hockey and expect to be treated fair and then complain when they're not. The canucks have no class, this play shows it.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #50
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I thought the Stuart suspension was a tad bit harsh. Until this. This is very harsh. There should be some responsibility on the part of the player taking the hit not just the checker. What is Hertl doing with his head not only down, but also leaning forward almost crouch/sitting on the ice to the point his head is lined up with the body of Edler. Not to mention this is at the blueline. This is a only a dangerous play because its a rookie who played his hockey in Prague and doesnt know much better.

Not that I am complaining - I hate the nucks. Just feel like this is a bit too much. Shanahan is pretty annoying imo
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #51
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Biggest thing for me is that Edler has more than enough time to avoid making that hit. Just a stupid player either way.

Blindside, headshot...call it whatever. Not a necessary play to be making KNOWING Hertl is in that position.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #52
Wedge
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
I think everybody just wants some consistency from the NHL....
Agreed. All Canuck hits, legal or illegal, should result in suspensions.
Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote