Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2023, 05:59 PM   #2041
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Seems really unlucky for a rocket to fall out of the sky and just happen to explode a Hospital. I'm sure crazier things have happened in the middle of a war.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 05:59 PM   #2042
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
In the big picture, over time, nope. Not buying it. As I said above, wait for the millions of posts and the demonstrations and the rallies. Even if Hamas or Jihad was responsible there will be thousands of Hamas sympathizers waving signs "Israeli Monsters Bomb Hospitals".
Who the hell are these Hamas sympathizers you are dreaming up in your head? Hamas is an existential threat that needs to be taken out. No one - not a single person in this thread - is suggesting otherwise. Period. Full. Stop.

People are being critical of Israel because they pull the same #### all the time. They get attacked by Hamas and then they take it out on the Palestinians where Hamas is hiding. That is the cycle that has to stop. That is where people are tired and fed up with this whole cycle, especially Israel's predictable response. Try a different tactic for crying out loud.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2023, 06:01 PM   #2043
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Uh huh. Just a few things to consider about that video? From launch to intercept is 12 seconds of footage. From intercept to explosions is less than 6 seconds. Care to do the math on that and explain how something that took 12 seconds to travel under a propelled rocket engine then takes half the time to fall to earth and make a massive explosion? Missile gets destroyed and then falls to earth quicker than it took off? Some interesting physics going on here? Where's Mathgod when you need him?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity

It takes more force to move a rocket, which weighs hundreds of pounds, up than it does for it to fall. There are a number of actual rocket launch videos on YouTube that are free for everyone to watch. They all show rockets moving very slowly as they need to overcome gravitational forces before traveling at faster speeds.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 06:03 PM   #2044
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post

Man, that's the way to handle sensationalist media. Chaos in that interview all around. The guy knew how to play his cards right.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2023, 06:12 PM   #2045
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity

It takes more force to move a rocket, which weighs hundreds of pounds, up than it does for it to fall. There are a number of actual rocket launch videos on YouTube that are free for everyone to watch. They all show rockets moving very slowly as they need to overcome gravitational forces before traveling at faster speeds.
Let me introduce you to gravity's best friend, terminal velocity, or free fall of an object. You may want to double check those youtube videos, because they go up way faster than they come down, especially after interception and being turned into shrapnel.
Old 10-17-2023, 06:20 PM   #2046
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Let me introduce you to gravity's best friend, terminal velocity, or free fall of an object. You may want to double check those youtube videos, because they go up way faster than they come down, especially after interception and being turned into shrapnel.

You seem to do quite a bit of rocket engineering to be able to speculate how rockets explode when they hit a target or when they get intercepted. Or in general how they travel.

I don't know anything about rockets but since you don't seem to know any physics I can at least say that the time it takes for any object to go from A to B depends not only on it's speed but also it's trajectory. A rocket doesn't have constant speed and has some kind of ballistic trajectory (I assume) or at least doesn't go on a straight line. So simply looking at a video and counting seconds doesn't tell you anything about what distances are being traveled, in what trajectory and at what speed. Time is only one variable.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2023, 06:24 PM   #2047
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This was from 2014 by Amnesty International, I guess it must be those Palestinian rockets that mysteriously keep falling on hospitals

"Today’s attack on the Al-Aqsa hospital is the latest in a series of attacks on and near medical facilities in Gaza, which have been struggling to cope with thousands of injured people since the Israeli offensive began on 8 July,” said Philip Luther, Director of the Middle East and North Africa Programme at Amnesty International. "

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ne...e-allegations/
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 06:26 PM   #2048
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Seems really unlucky for a rocket to fall out of the sky and just happen to explode a Hospital. I'm sure crazier things have happened in the middle of a war.
Seems kinda suspect. Million to one Jerry.

Last edited by DFO; 10-17-2023 at 06:30 PM.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 06:32 PM   #2049
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
Seems kinda suss. Million to one Jerry.
Hospitals have a huge footprint. The hospital is likely one of the biggest sets of buildings, by land coverage, in the entire Gaza Strip. Hamas and other similar groups are launching tens of thousands of rockets, and about 15% fall into Gaza by themselves and another portion get shot down and fall into Gaza.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2023, 06:35 PM   #2050
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
You seem to do quite a bit of rocket engineering to be able to speculate how rockets explode when they hit a target or when they get intercepted. Or in general how they travel.

I don't know anything about rockets but since you don't seem to know any physics I can at least say that the time it takes for any object to go from A to B depends not only on it's speed but also it's trajectory. A rocket doesn't have constant speed and has some kind of ballistic trajectory (I assume) or at least doesn't go on a straight line. So simply looking at a video and counting seconds doesn't tell you anything about what distances are being traveled, in what trajectory and at what speed. Time is only one variable.
No engineering required. Just math. You're right, time is only one variable. Now if we could only determine others, like from the inventory of rockets used by Hamas and how they are made, what their travel velocity is and the weight/fuel/payload they carry. Do they have the size and power to create such an impact after being destroyed in flight? If we could only answer those questions for other data points?

But no, you're probably right. You can look at a video and quickly determine that an intercept turned a supersonic missile into a well targeted kinetic weapon powered by free fall onto a target that Israel warned they would bomb. Makes all the sense in the world! Thank you for recommending the suspension of disbelief and using your confirmation bias to inform your interpretation rather than just addressing the question and thinking about the real world implications here.
Old 10-17-2023, 06:38 PM   #2051
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Hospitals have a huge footprint. The hospital is likely one of the biggest sets of buildings, by land coverage, in the entire Gaza Strip. Hamas and other similar groups are launching tens of thousands of rockets, and about 15% fall into Gaza by themselves and another portion get shot down and fall into Gaza.
Still hard to believe. A rocket is intercepted and it manages to fall on a hospital AND hits something that causes that detonation? Chances are the Hamas munitions are bunkered. I’m still going with a JDAM sadly.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 06:39 PM   #2052
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

this is a wholly pointless discussion at this point, it's impossible to know what happened so there is sod all point arguing the respective morality of either side
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2023, 06:42 PM   #2053
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
Still hard to believe. A rocket is intercepted and it manages to fall on a hospital AND hits something that causes that detonation? Chances are the Hamas munitions are bunkered. I’m still going with a JDAM sadly.
https://x.com/Justin_Br0nk/status/17...082271215?s=20

Explosive/munition expert says otherwise.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 06:54 PM   #2054
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
No engineering required. Just math. You're right, time is only one variable. Now if we could only determine others, like from the inventory of rockets used by Hamas and how they are made, what their travel velocity is and the weight/fuel/payload they carry. Do they have the size and power to create such an impact after being destroyed in flight? If we could only answer those questions for other data points?

But no, you're probably right. You can look at a video and quickly determine that an intercept turned a supersonic missile into a well targeted kinetic weapon powered by free fall onto a target that Israel warned they would bomb. Makes all the sense in the world! Thank you for recommending the suspension of disbelief and using your confirmation bias to inform your interpretation rather than just addressing the question and thinking about the real world implications here.

I'm not sure why you needed to all that hand waiving, maybe it was the Israelis shooting a hospital I have no idea.

Just pointing out that counting seconds on an object that doesn't have constant speed nor travels on a straight line is wrong and not how physics work, like you claimed. And I wouldn't assume every rocket intercepted is automatically at a free fall either.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 07:01 PM   #2055
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams! Wake up!

... Legitimately amazed we've reached this level of delusion in here.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2023, 07:07 PM   #2056
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1714446331710710239
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 08:16 PM   #2057
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Damn. Why did JT insinuate it was Israel that had bombed the hospital when it hasn’t been confirmed? This may now be used as propaganda, with things moving so quickly we should be absolutely certain about information before commenting, well, at least the Prime Minister should be.
Old 10-17-2023, 08:23 PM   #2058
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Next, a second, and far more detailed, video emerged showing a rocket being shot down and landing on the hospital.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
What statement by the IDF spokesperson are you referring to here, I can't keep any of this stuff straight.
The IDF are stating that they did NOT shoot down a rocket.

They are claiming that it was a failed rocket. A misfire.

So basically blankall's detailed video showing a rocket being "shot down" is being dismissed by the IDF.

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 08:24 PM   #2059
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Damn. Why did JT insinuate it was Israel that had bombed the hospital when it hasn’t been confirmed? This may now be used as propaganda, with things moving so quickly we should be absolutely certain about information before commenting, well, at least the Prime Minister should be.
That won’t happen. Ask Lanny.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 09:08 PM   #2060
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
I mentioned multiple times I was referring to Hamas but should have clarified, it was an emotional day and I was admittedly posting with anger. I have even said and will re-state it just for you that the Palestinians are entitled to a state and that I am anti-settlements in the West Bank. There is nothing about the conditions the Palestinians are in that I take joy in. But again I could care less what you think. If you support Hamas you are an animal in my eyes. There are multiple terror sympathizers in this thread, including you, who look for every angle to blame Israel.
No, you actually clarified that you were referring to Palestinians and not just Hamas. And I’m not sure that falsely accusing people of being terror sympathizers and calling them animals does anything to dissuade the notion that you use the term pretty loosely. If someone called you an animal because of the words you shared here you would lose it, so why is it OK for you to call anyone here that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
In the big picture, over time, nope. Not buying it. As I said above, wait for the millions of posts and the demonstrations and the rallies. Even if Hamas or Jihad was responsible there will be thousands of Hamas sympathizers waving signs "Israeli Monsters Bomb Hospitals".
It’s not for sale. This “millions of posts” and “demonstrations” nonsense about Israel being unfairly demonized isn’t much better than pro-Israel propaganda. The Israel government certainly gets better treatment than Palestinian civilians.

Pro-Israel people in this thread have said terrible things about innocent Palestinians and even about other posters in this thread. You don’t even have to go looking for it. But you ignore it and cheer it on while pretending the other side is the only one unfairly demonized and reducing the valid concerns of people to some pro-terror attack on Israel. It’s more than a bit ridiculous.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote