Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Juice Cleansing

Anybody ever try it? My intake of veggies is very poor and I wondered if introducing them into my diet this way would benefit me.

I'm considering buying a juicer and making my own but I don't know if my dedication to that is realistic. I've seen the Total Cleanse website for delivery but the price seems ridiculous to me. If there is a viable alternative at a health food store, I would consider that.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well a juice cleanse isn't really going to introduce vegetables into your diet, you'll get them in there for a few days during the cleanse and then go back to where you were. If the goal is to up your vegetable intake you don't need the cleanse part, just drink vegetable juice or (gasp) eat vegetables.

I haven't done a juice cleanse, but have a number of friends who have and found them beneficial.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my 20 year old daughters case a 'cleanse' is a euphamism for a starvation diet to lose 10 or 15 pounds in a week or two.

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 04-16-2012 at 11:51 AM.
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't need necessarily need one for weight loss. I was more interested in an energy increase.

Does something like V8 truly provide the veggie servings it says it does? I know I should be eating them but I would prefer a juice. I live alone and don't really spend much time in the kitchen.

Last edited by burnin_vernon; 04-16-2012 at 11:57 AM.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

As has been said time and time again in various health and diet threads on this board - there is no such thing as a cleanse.

Anything marketed as a cleanse is nothing but medical quackery. There are no easy shortcuts, no diet pills, no cleanses, no toxin treatments, etc. None are scientifically proven and almost all are dubious.

Consider the real benefits of juice and it boils down to getting more a nutrient rich source of vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, etc. but if you don't adjust the rest of your diet, it's not necessarily going to help you.

One thing people seem to always forget when they go on the juicing route is that you lose the benefits of all the fibre and other nutrients in the pulp and rind of fruits and vegetables that you lose when juicing. Regular fibre intake is just as important. Consider making smoothies where you blend whole fruits as a much wiser choice to juicing as you retain much more of the fruit.

Stop wasting money on highly marketed health quackery from websites and health food stores. Buy some cheap bags of frozen berries, buy some affordable fresh fruit, some yogurt, etc. and make a smoothie with them in a decent blender every morning. Incorporate vegetables as well if you like. Make it part of your regular diet. You can't just take something for a week and expect it to absolve you of all your dietary sins. Any change in your intake and routine whether it comes to food or real medication etc. takes weeks to have effect and it's something that has to be maintained.

Blend. Don't juice. Have a fruit/veggie smoothie for breakfast every morning. Try to make yourself a fresh salad every day. It's not hard and it's not expensive.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-16-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's my breakfast every day:

4 oz skim milk
3 oz frozen strawberries
2 oz pomegranate juice
2 oz frozen peaches
2 oz frozen blueberries
2 oz frozen spinach
2 oz frozen carrots
1 banana

Put it in the fridge before bed and blend when you wake up. It ends up being around 300 calories and gives you a jump on getting enough fruits and vegetables for the day. And it tastes good and will do you a lot more good in the long run than any cleanse.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

A major benefit of vegetables is the roughage they supply. You don't get roughage when you blend something to juice.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I thought only chicks believed in cleanses.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

V8 juice is full of sodium. Just eat some vegetables.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
I don't need necessarily need one for weight loss. I was more interested in an energy increase.

Does something like V8 truly provide the veggie servings it says it does? I know I should be eating them but I would prefer a juice. I live alone and don't really spend much time in the kitchen.
Regular V8 won't help you. It's mostly tomato juice with way too much salt. Again, you can't ignore the fibre in fruits and vegetables. It's important. You don't have to spend much time in the kitchen. Buy a good salad spinner to dry vegetables after you wash them. Chop them up, throw them in a tupperware with some dressing and shake. It takes like 10 minutes to make a good salad to improve your vegetable intake.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Invest in one of these:

Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Or buy a big high quality blender. Make a large amount on the weekend and freeze it for the rest of the week.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Also if you are too lazy there are some yogurt based pre mixed smoothies on the market. So instead of buying a wack of fruit and blenidng, you open the container and pour.

The salad or making sure that you have veggie sides is key, I always make sure that I have a vegitable serving (Preferable steamed) with each meal.

It also adds color to your plate.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the people who take cleansing/detox diets, the things are essentially scams. Your body is designed to cleanse itself, it doesn't need your assistance by ingesting massive amounts of juice. If you want to experience more energy or lose weight, talk to a dietician and set up a gym schedule.

What you are likely looking for is a lifestyle change.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
V8 juice is full of sodium. Just eat some vegetables.
And don't bother with the sodium reduced stuff. It is terrible!
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Invest in one of these:

100% agree. Not only does it make the greatest fruit shakes in lightning-quick speed, it also has improved both my mental well-being at work and my "me" time at home. It is the world's best device. It has even helped bring extra vigour into my sex life.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
100% agree. Not only does it make the greatest fruit shakes in lightning-quick speed, it also has improved both my mental well-being at work and my "me" time at home. It is the world's best device. It has even helped bring extra vigour into my sex life.
What are you doing with the magic bullet?
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also beware of any juice in the supermarket adverstised as 'healthy.' Most juice blends marketed as 'healthy' are complete BS sugar water. Prime example are those 'Pomegrante, cranberry' juice blends, often they are 98% Apple/pear juice with 2% Pomegrante and cranberry juice for color and minor taste distorsion. The only way to make sure you're drinking juice or a smoothy that's actually good for you is to buy the raw ingredients and make it yourself. Even Jugo Juice is Ocean Spray juice (huge source of added sugar) with a small amount of frozen fruits and ice cubes thrown in a blender.

Basically the way a lot of 'Healthy' juices were created is someone in a corporate boardroom thought a good way to catch the wave of the health craze was to make their existing products appear more healthy by changing the label and making minor tweaks in inputs so that they don't have to actually incur the cost of buying more expensive fruits and changing their production process.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
What are you doing with the magic bullet?
The question is, what am I not doing with it . . .

The only thing I haven't done with it is make guacamole, but I'm sure it does a fantastic job at that too!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
And don't bother with the sodium reduced stuff. It is terrible!
really? I found it tastes pretty much exactly the same.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote