Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #1241
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I've been looking for a TV for my bedroom, because the one that's in there is too small to really be useful. At the same time, new models are starting to leak out and the big box stores are putting everything on clearance.

Here's the problem I'm having. I want a 65" or a 70". Because almost no one makes 70", that mostly means I need a 65" (unless I can get a Vizio M70 on sale). I want a good quality TV, but I don't want to spend insane amounts. That basically eliminates OLED, unfortunately - the lowest I was able to get was an open box LG B6 for 3300 or a really old demo model LG 9600 for 2900. Considering the miles on those things it's just not worth doing. A new 65 inch C7 is going for 4300 at Best Buy up north, and if you have four grand to spend on a TV, that's probably as good a deal as you're going to find. I do not.

Meanwhile, it's basically impossible to get a good deal on an LED TV anymore thanks to Vizio. Whatever option you come up with - the best I've had is last year's top of the line Samsung KS9500 for 3100 bucks - it makes no sense in comparison to the Vizio model. The P series goes on sale at Costco for $2200, M series for even less than that. Moreover, I'm looking at Bestbuy's website and they just posted the new 2017 Vizios, and it looks like the new M65 is starting at 1599 (was 1999 for 2016). Unfortunately, it's not like I can walk into Costco and ask for the sale price like I could at Visions; you have to wait.

So I'm kind of stuck here. Ideas? I've been checking Kijiji but people are utter idiots when it comes to valuing their obsolete TVs.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:50 PM   #1242
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So I've been looking for a TV for my bedroom, because the one that's in there is too small to really be useful. At the same time, new models are starting to leak out and the big box stores are putting everything on clearance.

Here's the problem I'm having. I want a 65" or a 70". Because almost no one makes 70", that mostly means I need a 65" (unless I can get a Vizio M70 on sale). I want a good quality TV, but I don't want to spend insane amounts. That basically eliminates OLED, unfortunately - the lowest I was able to get was an open box LG B6 for 3300 or a really old demo model LG 9600 for 2900. Considering the miles on those things it's just not worth doing. A new 65 inch C7 is going for 4300 at Best Buy up north, and if you have four grand to spend on a TV, that's probably as good a deal as you're going to find. I do not.

Meanwhile, it's basically impossible to get a good deal on an LED TV anymore thanks to Vizio. Whatever option you come up with - the best I've had is last year's top of the line Samsung KS9500 for 3100 bucks - it makes no sense in comparison to the Vizio model. The P series goes on sale at Costco for $2200, M series for even less than that. Moreover, I'm looking at Bestbuy's website and they just posted the new 2017 Vizios, and it looks like the new M65 is starting at 1599 (was 1999 for 2016). Unfortunately, it's not like I can walk into Costco and ask for the sale price like I could at Visions; you have to wait.

So I'm kind of stuck here. Ideas? I've been checking Kijiji but people are utter idiots when it comes to valuing their obsolete TVs.
Honestly my advice is to take your time, save for six months or however long it takes and buy an OLED. I have the E7 series and by far it's the best TV I've ever owned. The blacks on a OLED are incredible, there is zero halo effect and the TV is razor thin. They say the colours aren't as bright but with the blacks looking so perfect, the TV being in 4K and HDR the colour looks just as rich as a plasma to me. I had a 70" before and at first the 65" OLED felt a tad small but after adjusting the wall bracket and seeing how beautiful the picture is, I don't miss those five inches (that's what she said, lol.) Buying an OLED is well worth the time and money, best of luck.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:23 AM   #1243
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't think I can justify the price for a TV. The difference in viewing experience just doesn't make it worthwhile to me. I think the best time to buy an OLED will be two or three years from now when the MSRP has come down another ~30%, Panasonic has entered the market and they've got top-flite processing to deal with motion and the like. Until then it strikes me as a TV for the most videophile of videophiles, or people who see 2 grand as pocket change.

I found a deal on a new Sony X900E for 2400 - currently they're on sale for 2700 at most places, already marked down. Again, that's a good deal, but I think the P series is still a better TV for my usage and now that the new range is coming out I just can't see it not going back on sale... I think I should just wait a month and see what happens.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #1244
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a way to link bluetook headphones to a run of the mill LG 42" tv? I don't mind watching tv in our spare room. But if the wife is watching in the main room it annoys the hell out of me. I was hoping to watch with my head phones. Anyone have any ideas?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:16 PM   #1245
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

not sure exactly what you are looking for, but Costco has the Sony 65x850e is $800 off. sale price is $2k. I have the same model but 2 model years earlier. it is awesome so this Costco offer might be worth looking into.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:53 AM   #1246
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the 850E is apparently kind of mediocre. Doesn't have a local dimming feature. Given that the 900E doesn't quite measure up (though it's close) there's no way I'm stepping down that far.

I may have found a good stopgap solution but it's in Edmonton.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #1247
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, uh...my colour wheel exploded. Anyone have an HD70 lying around? Failing that, is the BenQ 2050 still the go to for a budget projector? Any deals around?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:16 AM   #1248
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So, uh...my colour wheel exploded. Anyone have an HD70 lying around? Failing that, is the BenQ 2050 still the go to for a budget projector? Any deals around?
Wow a colourwheel exploded, crazy. I've never heard of that, but doing a quick google search I see it's somewhat common for Optimas.

The older Benq W1070 and HT1075 (which were the king of budget projectors) can be found for good prices quite often. Even the newer models of those are $8-900
verda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:25 AM   #1249
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our office one did it, but mostly due to poor handling. Mine was mounted and never moved. I thought it was the bulb at first, which would have been fine because I have a used spare. It looks like I can get a colour wheel for $50-$75. I might do that...
Old 07-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #1250
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just ordered the colour wheel. We are building a garage this year, so $50 is better than $1000 on an untimely expense. Hope it lasts another year! maybe by then pseudo 4k projectors will be better priced.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #1251
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Is there a way to link bluetook headphones to a run of the mill LG 42" tv? I don't mind watching tv in our spare room. But if the wife is watching in the main room it annoys the hell out of me. I was hoping to watch with my head phones. Anyone have any ideas?
I assume you have an idea your tv has BT?

http://www.lg.com/us/support/mobile/...h-guided-setup

Failing that, if your TV has an amp, plug in headphones to the amp? Acquire 3.5mm extensions as needed?

On a random note, I have a question about whether to try and repair an old Panasonic TV. My parent's old Panasonic TV bit the dust... sorta. It powers on, then just blinks. I don't recall the blink pattern, but I think I recall looking it up and essentially the SS board and power supply is dead or something. Is it even worth trying to DIY repair? I think the TV is about 2-3 years old.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:11 AM   #1252
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grrr, my replacement colour wheel has made it to Calgary, but will probably sit in the Canada Post warehouse all long weekend. Booo! Delivery date says Tuesday.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #1253
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sweet, colour wheel showed up last night, I just put it in. Success! Sure is a nice feeling to repair something rather than throwing it out. it's not a super simple job like replacing a lamp, either. Now lets hope it lasts!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #1254
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Meanwhile the original lamp in my Sanyo 720p projector just keeps going, if the lamp burned out it'd be an excuse to replace it with a 1080p or 4k projector. Though I guess maybe better if it lasts more so 4K projectors come down in price more, I probably wouldn't spend $3k on a projector.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #1255
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our office had a Sanyo projector (lcd 1024x768) For 14 years, that was heavily abused(not letting it cool down). Something finally died in it this year, that lamp still looks good though. I checked the thermal fuse and I think it is OK, but I may need to look more into that. The thing was the energizer bunny of projectors.

In fairness, my Optoma is also about 10 years old I think, and it is my daily TV, not just for movies. If pseudo 4 k projectors hit $1000 I'll probably grab one after next year. Maybe put this old one in the garage!
Old 08-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #1256
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Cable management

Anyone know anywhere local where I can find some cable management products? Basically a conduit I can tape/glue outside of the wall where I can run some wires from the TV to the components. I think the technical name for them are cable "raceways".

Looked online and found some on Monoprice, Amazon, etc but for such a low value product I think it would be better to pick some up locally rather than deal with shipping and USD etc. Thx

Spoiler!
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #1257
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know where to get a pair of relatively cheap set of rear speakers for home theatre (online or otherwise)?

I inherited a Harmon Kardon 154 receiver which is 5.1, but the rears are missing, though the sub and front 3 speakers are all polk audio. It's sounding pretty good, just need the rears and some speaker wire I guess! Thx

Last edited by calumniate; 08-21-2017 at 03:35 PM.
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #1258
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Anyone know anywhere local where I can find some cable management products? Basically a conduit I can tape/glue outside of the wall where I can run some wires from the TV to the components. I think the technical name for them are cable "raceways".

Looked online and found some on Monoprice, Amazon, etc but for such a low value product I think it would be better to pick some up locally rather than deal with shipping and USD etc. Thx

Spoiler!
I got mine at Home Depot. They have a sticky backing. Easy to install, and look great.

This one:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.p...000106549.html
Old 10-08-2017, 02:51 PM   #1259
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Am finally getting to re-configure my basement family room into a home theater. Progress so far is ordering an Epson 3100 projector. Still an open question is whether to go with a 120" or a 128" screen. The room is 16' x 33', screen will be at one end and seating will be at about 16' back from the screen. Centering the 128" screen would give me about 3 ft on each side of the screen for speakers. Is that enough or should I give them a bit more room? Planning on having the fronts on stands, side surrounds mounted on the walls beside the seating, and centre below the screen tilted up a bit. Not in the budget to buy an acoustically transparent screen. Projector will be ceiling mounted.

Sound-wise, I bought off a friend a 10 yr old Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver (VSX-91TXH) and a 5.1 set of NHT speakers of about the same vintage. If I were to add rear surrounds about 14 ft behind the seating area, how critical is it to find something to match up with the rest of the speakers? Also, another perhaps dumb question - I have a spare Polk subwoofer, if I wanted to do two subs they should probably be the same not one NHT and one Polk I am guessing?

Appreciate any and all input as this is the first time I have set something like this up.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #1260
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't tried it, but I'd experiment with the two sub-woofers to see how you like it.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post: