Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #21
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Same combined cap hit as Kane and Toews. So, if you think that Draisatl is a top line player then it's not bad for the Oil, infact, it seems fine.
They are fair contracts for sure, I'm just happy the Flames have a different setup.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #22
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDavid is worth his cap hit but Draisaitl is overpaid by 1.5M IMO.

McNugget 12.5M
Draisaitl 8.5M
Lucic 6M
Add in 22M for 4D and goalie

That's almost 50M tied up in one forward line, an average top 4 and a goalie. That's also assuming they can get rid of RNH without retaining. Not necessarily 'cap hell' but they will have the same challenges Chicago is facing. Those Lucic and Russell contracts are going to hurt.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #23
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Only in a world in which the salary cap continues to grow at a 4–5% rate. But if we are entering a climate of stagnation or slower growth, this will not be remotely near the same sort of bargain that Crosby's or Malkin's deals eventually became.
Even with a stagnant cap, I would be stunned if we signed, for instance Gaudreau in five years, to under 8.5 AAV. And Gaudreau probably isn't as multi-facetted as a prime Draisaitl should be.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #24
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

CapFriendly @CapFriendly
Food for thought

#Oilers cap hit:
17-18: $66.7M (24 players)
18-19: $60.7M (13 players)

*Roster limit is 23 plyrs
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #25
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Clearly it pays to have one good stint in the playoffs.
It's kind of crazy to see how much leverage young players with one good season and no arbitration rights can have in the NHL.

Compare to Major League Baseball's Mookie Betts who, in the last year of his entry level contract was an all-star, finished second in MVP voting, second in WAR, won a gold glove and a silver slugger. And all he managed was a one-year, $950,000 contract for 2017. He will get paid eventually, but not yet.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #26
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The quality of this contract will come out in the wash. Only one thing is for certain in the Oilers future, they will need excellent drafting to be a contender down the road. Their ELC players are going to need to do some heavy lifting.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #27
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
As a Flames fan I'm OK with that number...21M for McD and Drai combined. 30% of the cap.
Don't forget 21.4M for Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson, Russell, and Fayne. And Fayne only played 4 NHL games and 39 AHL games last year.

Compared to a Flames top 5 for 24.5M consisting of Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie, Hamonic, and Stone.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #28
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The two massive contracts won't kill them, but their poor drafting, development, coaching, and GM will.

Look how underwhelming the Hawks have been since their big contracts kicked in, and that is with signing all the best cheap free agents every offseason. The oilers are in trouble if they dont win this year.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #29
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The quality of this contract will come out in the wash. Only one thing is for certain in the Oilers future, they will need excellent drafting to be a contender down the road. Their ELC players are going to need to do some heavy lifting.
I must be one of the only people as yet unconvinced by Draisaitl.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #30
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
But most of their "ELC players" are burning through their ELCs. I'm sure you were referencing future ELC players...but Nurse and FIVE others will be off their ELC next season! Leaving Poolboy as the only notable ELC over 20 years of age.
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyTitan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #31
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talbot is a UFA in two years which means they will likely be discussing an extension this season. He's up for a healthy raise. You have to think their window starts to close after the next two seasons.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #32
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Even with a stagnant cap, I would be stunned if we signed, for instance Gaudreau in five years, to under 8.5 AAV. And Gaudreau probably isn't as multi-facetted as a prime Draisaitl should be.
I fail to see how any of this renders Draisaitl's cap hit a "bargain."

The fact remains that this is a massive number—Draisaitl's contract today carries a top-ten cap hit league wide. If the salary cap stagnates, then his contract will remain a massive number. It is a huge amount of money for a player who still also carries a good deal of uncertainty. Is he a top-ten NHL player? Can he carry a line on his own? Can he be an effective NHL centre? These are all still matters of dispute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #33
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Here is hoping that the quality proves to be poor!
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #34
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
He's shown to be a very good player when paired with McDavid or Hall but apart from them he's been pretty middling so I wouldn't expect a situation like in Pittsburgh when Crosby missed significant time Malkin could pick up the slack as if McDavid misses significant time there's a massive drop off as Draisaitl on his own who will not be able to carry the team.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #35
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If I understand ELC bonuses (which I may not?) -> It looks to me as though the Oilers have more than enough current ELC guys who will earn bonuses to eat up their ~$2M in cap space THIS SEASON.

So I think they'll have to carry forward a bonus overage next season. Right when McDavid's contract kicks in and SEVEN current ELCs turn RFA. (I forgot about Brossoit).

It will be great to see Chia squirm next off-season. Pretty much assured that RNH will be traded for nothing.

We just need to make sure this team goes nowhere THIS YEAR. Then I'm happily pessimistic about the future of the Oilers again!
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's shown to be a very good player when paired with McDavid or Hall but apart from them he's been pretty middling so I wouldn't expect a situation like in Pittsburgh when Crosby missed significant time Malkin could pick up the slack as if McDavid misses significant time there's a massive drop off as Draisaitl on his own who will not be able to carry the team.
He strikes me as a $6M player playing alongside a $12.5M player.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #37
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
For better or worse, term and $ were exactly what I suspected. Glad he's locked up, but now the clock starts ticking on RNH.
Unless a team gets him at 50% off, or can send back one of their bad contracts, the clock can tick as much as it wants. A soft, skilled adequate inconsistent center at $6 million bucks, doesn't stretch the slacks of any GM.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #38
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Horrible, was expecting more overpayment than this.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #39
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Unless a team gets him at 50% off, or can send back one of their bad contracts, the clock can tick as much as it wants. A soft, skilled adequate inconsistent center at $6 million bucks, doesn't stretch the slacks of any GM.
We complain about Stajan's $3.125M caphit as our 4th line centre, I cant imagine a $6M RNH as your 3rd line centre.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #40
Fire in the disco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd rather have Monahan than Drai, and that's before salaries are taken into account. This feels like a big overpay for a guy who hasn't proven that he can carry a line by himself
Fire in the disco is online now   Reply With Quote