Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #21
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well that is a change from years past
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #22
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm glad they feel that way because sometimes it's hard to get an unbiased view of your own teams talent. I'm a big fan of our pool, I think we have a lot of potential NHL depth with some high-end talent sprinkled in

Last edited by Love; 07-19-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #23
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Yeah, I don't know about these rankings. No way the Leafs should be 9th. They are at best middle of the pack, no way top 3 anymore.

I do like seeing the Habs at 28. Definitely one of the most poorly run teams in the NHL.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #24
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I think they knocked the Pettersson pick out of the draft. Upside with that kid is real high. Boeser, Gaudette, and Demko round out the top end of their pool.
From the deadline when they traded burrows for Dahlen the few hardcore fans had already pencilled petterson in as their pick. Under the impression this would be Sedins 2.0
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:59 PM   #25
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Yeah, I don't know about these rankings. No way the Leafs should be 9th. They are at best middle of the pack, no way top 3 anymore.

I do like seeing the Habs at 28. Definitely one of the most poorly run teams in the NHL.
Agreed on the Leafs' pool. Also on the Habs, Carey Price is pretty much the only reason any of my Habs fan friends are still following that team.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:47 PM   #26
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dubious list. Hard to figure Ottawa at 27 with Logan Brown, Colin White, and Thomas Chabot in the fold, or Anaheim at 26 with like of Sam Steel, Max Jones, and Brandon Montour. Meanwhile, the Kings are ranked 24. Would anyone really take their prospect base, or the Panthers, over the Sens or Ducks? And the Red Wings at 9? Seriously?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #27
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't put much stock into these lists. The Jets have had a top 5 list since the day they moved from Atlanta. Same with Columbus and Florida. What exactly has that gotten them other then a few sporadic playoff appearances?

Pens, Sharks, Hawks all near the bottom year after year. Yet they have all made the finals recently.

Just seems odd to me that a team like the Ducks was ranked pretty high last season, yet this season lose a lot of ranking because their top guys graduated to the NHL. Seems that the more graduates that make it to the only league that matters (the NHL), you get penalised in the ''all important'' prospect rankings.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 07-20-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:31 AM   #28
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

wrong thread

Last edited by Toonage; 07-20-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #29
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I don't put much stock into these lists. The Jets have had a top 5 list since the day they moved from Atlanta. Same with Columbus and Florida. What exactly has that gotten them other then a few sporadic playoff appearances?
I would tend to agree with regards to Winnipeg, who never seems to be able to take the next step. But these rankings are not about now or even next year. Rather, they are attempted projections of which teams look to be in the best shape in the next five years. On that measure both Florida and Columbus are definitely seeing some return for their years of investment in the future.

Quote:
Pens, Sharks, Hawks all near the bottom year after year. Yet they have all made the finals recently.
And all of these teams look to be either at their peak with no where to go but down, or have already started that descent. SJ and Chicago are reasonable bets to miss the playoffs this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #30
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to the Flames blogger on Hockeybuzz ESPN ranks the Flames system 26th in the league
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #31
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny01 View Post
according to the flames blogger on hockeybuzz espn ranks the flames system 26th in the league
lol
Old 08-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #32
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
According to the Flames blogger on Hockeybuzz ESPN ranks the Flames system 26th in the league
From Corey Pronman. Saved you a Google/click.

Quote:
25 Calgary Flames
Previous rank: 9

The Flames don't have an elite player in their system after Matthew Tkachuk graduated in 2016-17, but solid drafting has resulted in reasonable talent at every position, particularly on defense with Juuso Valimaki, Adam Fox and Oliver Kylington. Their AHL team was entertaining this past season, with talent to see throughout the lineup. Their system could provide a lot of help to the big club during the next two seasons.
No mention of Mark Jankowski, Tyler Parsons and Rasmus Andersson - what I would say our top three prospects are - screams uninformed to me.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #33
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL that quote completely contradicts the placement of the team's ranking.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #34
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isikiz View Post
From Corey Pronman. Saved you a Google/click.

No mention of Mark Jankowski, Tyler Parsons and Rasmus Andersson - what I would say our top three prospects are - screams uninformed to me.
That's an unfair reading to me.

- They say that there is "reasonable talent in every position", so they clearly have looked at what we have in goalies and forwards. There's no need to name everyone.

- They emphasize defense in particular, which is correct as defense has most prospect depth at this point.

- They list what I would personally consider the three most exciting prospects as examples of our defensive depth. If you think they should include Andersson, I don't necessarily disagree but I would call it purely a matter of taste at this point.

The rank number seems completely off though.

Last edited by Itse; 08-16-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #35
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pronman's lists, regardless of what they are, are always quite different. Much like Button, he doesn't try to re-create lists that are reflective of widely held views. His views are his own and he stands by them.
I value that - because it provides different POVs as opposed to just reading countless columns that repeat the same thing.
However, overall, I also find his player evaluations to be uneven and favoring certain types of players and where those players are sourced. So I tend to find his stuff interesting but I don't trust him much as an evaluator, however admire that he somehow positioned himself as a trusted expert by someone like ESPN.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #36
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

where did other canadian teams place ?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #37
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pronman was quite high on a number of Flames prospects so I am surprised to see he ranked them where he did. He may not think much of Andersson and Jankowski.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #38
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pronman has always been skeptical of Jankowski due to his slight age advantage and Pronman's own reverse-FDW small man bias.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #39
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Pronman's lists, regardless of what they are, are always quite different. Much like Button, he doesn't try to re-create lists that are reflective of widely held views. His views are his own and he stands by them.
I value that - because it provides different POVs as opposed to just reading countless columns that repeat the same thing.
However, overall, I also find his player evaluations to be uneven and favoring certain types of players and where those players are sourced. So I tend to find his stuff interesting but I don't trust him much as an evaluator, however admire that he somehow positioned himself as a trusted expert by someone like ESPN.
fair points although still hard to reconcile a 16 position drop in the standings (assuming Pronman did the ranking last year too?)

sure the Tkachuk graduation was a big loss, but I can't think of too many other key losses (depending how they define prospects), and while a few important prospects (Poirier, Shinkaruk etc) either were treading water or fell back, you had I think by most definitions nice growth years by the likes of Fox, Dube, Parsons, Phillips and other key prospects Andersson,Kylington etc proceeding well too. throw in the Valamaki addition and I don't see the 16 spot drop?
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #40
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

How could Tkachuk have an effect on the farm system ranking when he never played in the farm system?
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote