Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #401
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Gaslighting: Not just for Republicans any more!

Wilson should probably consider his options for a potential defamation suit.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #402
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quick translation, these people are complete liars and idiots who are lazy. See you in court, and bring your cheque book. BTW I'd also like a stadium named after me.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #403
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had this been reported anywhere else? Because it's hard to argue he was defamed given that the publication of what would otherwise have been his defamation completely contradicts the criticism of him. I mean, they'd probably have to issue him a public apology, so he should insist on that. If anyone lost face here it was the government.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #404
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Had this been reported anywhere else? Because it's hard to argue he was defamed given that the publication of what would otherwise have been his defamation completely contradicts the criticism of him. I mean, they'd probably have to issue him a public apology, so he should insist on that. If anyone lost face here it was the government.
Not sure what you mean? He was fired days ago with the claim that he basically did nothing and just took the money.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/new...beandmail.com&

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouv...fends-job.html

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/b-c-lng-ad...192132090.html

http://theprovince.com/news/bc-polit...er-john-horgan

Hell, Bruce Ralston even took the time to go on radio and make the same explicitly and falsely claims. God damn, he spends more time describing his efforts to search for evidence of him doing anything than even doing a google search. Heck, he even goes out on the limb here to claim his position is just because he was a "friend of the government". Sound damning as heck.

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cfax-1070/...lson-1.2999123

Last edited by chemgear; 08-10-2017 at 11:09 AM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #405
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that (in particular the radio bit) makes it a bit harder to recant.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 08-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #406
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horgan apologized for it, but yeah that's pretty embarrassing.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/loca...920/story.html
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #407
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-ndp-1.4241796

Looks like they are content to throw away millions to fight Kinder Morgan. Disappointing, not totally unexpected.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #408
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-ndp-1.4241796

Looks like they are content to throw away millions to fight Kinder Morgan. Disappointing, not totally unexpected.
Spending tax payers money to fight new jobs. NDP stuff.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #409
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love how the article refers to Berger as a "former supreme court justice". That would imply to most people that he sat on the Supreme Court of Canada, not the BC Supreme Court (which is a court of first instance). Just deliberately misleading. They also fail to mention that he's the former leader of the NDP, albeit almost fifty years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #410
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

It will be interesting to see whether this is just paying lip service to the anti-pipeline morons on the coast or a legitimate challenge to the expansion. I would have to think that at least a few NDP MLAs would be sympathetic to the project, particularly the old-school blue collar NDP-types and members from the interior. With a such a thin majority, the government would be wise not to rock the boat too much on this.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #411
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. It may be wishful thinking, but the comment about throwing millions of dollars away to an oil company when that money could be spent on schools and hospitals is encouraging.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #412
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean they're in a bit of a no-win situation here (that they created). They campaigned on doing this to steal votes from the Greens, and it's pretty much a key component to keeping their alliance with the Greens stable. That said, I think it will likely end up being mostly lip service to environmentalists and FN groups.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #413
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...suit-1.4252164

Off to a good start in BC, yep.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #414
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Good, I doubt this goes to court and it gets settled quietly and for the maximum amount.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #415
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

BC NDP makes our inept NDP look like a well oiled machine.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #416
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Good. It was a disgusting bit of political and public pandering. You've got to wonder what things are like behind the scenes if this how these people act publicly.

Important item from the article and the lawsuit.

Hainsworth said the suit is specifically about the public comments made by Horgan, Ralston and Blaney — not about Wilson's dismissal from the position.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #417
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's really disgusting to see a public figure unfoundedly torpedo someone like that. I can't imagine anyone in my business doing something like that. The lack of civility amongst our representatives is really embarrassing. Does politics just attract a lower class of person?
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:53 PM   #418
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
It's really disgusting to see a public figure unfoundedly torpedo someone like that. I can't imagine anyone in my business doing something like that. The lack of civility amongst our representatives is really embarrassing. Does politics just attract a lower class of person?
Have you met any politicians? I've met several and the only ones who actually didn't give off the opportunistic slimeball vibes were Joe Clark, Preston Manning, and Anne Cools, and I'm not sure Cools counts as a politician.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:37 AM   #419
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like Horgan will announce the elimination of toll bridges today at 10:00 am PDT. It will save daily commuters, the people who actually use the bridges, about $1,500 per year. It eliminates about $200M in revenue between the Golden Ears and Port Mann bridges. It also likely eliminates the jobs for those that work at Treo.

The Golden Ears debt must be repaid by 2041 and the Port Mann is scheduled to be repaid by 2050. Horgan has not announced how he plans to pay back the debt, or make up the lost revenue. Speculation is he'll use the Prosperity Fund that was created by the Liberals.

The NDP campaigned on this, so it's not shocking they are taking steps to eliminate the tolls. What is shocking to me is that Weaver is on board. By eliminating the tolls, more people will drive. This will cause more pollution. The NDP said they want quicker traffic to downtown. By putting more cars on the road, it will have the opposite effect they want.

There's still no word on when the NDP will ban corporate donations to political parties. They said they'd do it as soon as they got into power. Instead, they have held fund raising golf parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #420
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
BC NDP makes our inept NDP look like a well oiled machine.
Now they can experience our pain, maybe it'll instill a little empathy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote