Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2024, 11:11 AM   #201
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Man I hope Dube is not one of the 5, but if he was not totally honest with the Flames then this is going to get ugly soon.
You would have thought someone would have said that his leave has nothing to do with this by now if he wasnt one.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 11:11 AM   #202
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
You’re still putting at least partial blame on the victim, #### off.
I'm not blaming her, simply pointing out there is inherent risk in meeting a stranger at a bar and going up to their hotel room. Of course, there's inherent risk in a lot of activities and the consequences are rarely this bad. The consequences of the decisions on that night are horrific.

For example, I used to buy things off ebay and suggested the drop off be done at a public place in broad daylight. That seemed inherently less risky than meeting at a known place where drugs were dealt at 3am.

Last edited by cam_calderon; 01-24-2024 at 11:13 AM.
cam_calderon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:12 AM   #203
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Man I hope Dube is not one of the 5, but if he was not totally honest with the Flames then this is going to get ugly soon.
I'm definitely curious to what extent the team knew.

The Sens likely knew something since they never re-signed Formenton in '22. Melnyk was what he was but at least his daughters have moral fibre
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 11:13 AM   #204
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Au revoir, Felicia
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:15 AM   #205
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Do we know what the evidence against the players is? Is it a forgone conclusion they did this? Or is there any chance they’re innocent?
The legal system historically is stacked against SA victims based on the burden of proof needed in a Court of Law.

Charges, typically, would only be brought if there was enough proof to lead to a conviction. Now, again in theory, Crown Prosecutors could feel differently about that evidence and decline to prosecute but I really don't see that happening.

The likely result is this is going to trial and we'll have to see if the burden of evidence is enough to lead to convictions.

Sadly, that isn't often what happens in SA cases.

Now, an individual's burden of proof, when looking at the same evidence, won't be as high as the courts. So make of that what you will.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:15 AM   #206
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
So hockey wise if Dube is part of this can the Flames terminate his contract and open up a roster spot or if he’s in a league support program does that keep that from happening?
That shouldn't be an impediment.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:15 AM   #207
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I leave you guys alone for like an hour and s### hits the fan.

What the hell?

Focus on the Hockey Players, the girl did nothing wrong. Full stop.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 11:15 AM   #208
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
You would have thought someone would have said that his leave has nothing to do with this by now if he wasnt one.
yeaaaaaaaah :/
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:17 AM   #209
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The Flames' statement regarding Topi Ronni basically said "we are aware of legal proceedings and will not comment further."
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:20 AM   #210
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'm definitely curious to what extent the team knew.

The Sens likely knew something since they never re-signed Formenton in '22. Melnyk was what he was but at least his daughters have moral fibre
I was thinking the team had to know because of the settlement, but that was Hockey Canada, not the NHL. But the NHL did an investigation - I'm not sure if names were disclosed to the governors. I'm thinking the PA would object to that somehow.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:21 AM   #211
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I've seen a lot of commentary about how the woman put herself in that situation. She shouldn't have agreed to go upstairs with the one player, shouldn't have been drinking, etc....It's all pretty disgusting. Women are allowed to go out and have fun, just like men can.
Wasn't this the case where one of the adults was also plying the girl with alcohol and encouraged her to go to the room? Unless I am mixing this up with another incident, she was manipulated and set-up.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:23 AM   #212
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
The legal system historically is stacked against SA victims based on the burden of proof needed in a Court of Law.

Charges, typically, would only be brought if there was enough proof to lead to a conviction. Now, again in theory, Crown Prosecutors could feel differently about that evidence and decline to prosecute but I really don't see that happening.

The likely result is this is going to trial and we'll have to see if the burden of evidence is enough to lead to convictions.

Sadly, that isn't often what happens in SA cases.

Now, an individual's burden of proof, when looking at the same evidence, won't be as high as the courts. So make of that what you will.
Ya I get all that. I’m asking if Westhead or someone else reported what they have as evidence. Wasn’t there video in one of these cases? Or incriminating texts between players? Or maybe I’m thinking of a different team Canada assault. Or maybe even the Virtanen one. There’s so many I honestly have trouble keeping track.

If it is just he said she said, the system is absolutely stacked against the victim.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:24 AM   #213
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How can anyone protect themselves from gang rape?

Utterly vile and disgusting. Any human involved should be rotting in a cell.

It's one thing in a he said/she said situation where there are opposing views on consent and that goes to trial but this kind of stuff is inhumane and inexcusable.

How can these guys look their mom, gf, wife, sister, daughter in the eye? Any of them married?
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InternationalVillager For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 11:25 AM   #214
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Where is the fallout for Hockey Canada executives who participated in the payout and coverup.
They apparently have or had funds set aside to settle stuff like this. Just let that settle in. They expect stuff like this happen, and rather than doing their best to prevent it, they would rather pay for the damages as if the victims are prostitutes. Absolutely disgusting.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:26 AM   #215
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4flames View Post
Michael Macleod and Cal foot on leave from the devils.
This makes 5. If they are not, shouldn’t be someone else going on leave soon?

Can someone quietly report and still playing hockey?

Is there a deadline for reporting?
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:26 AM   #216
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't say anything then (and refrained from posting in the Dube thread) because I had heard late last week that Dube and Hart would be two of the players implicated in these proceedings and looks like that ended up being good intel based on how the last 4 or 5 days since then have went.

In terms of Dube specifically it's quite possible there is a separate mental health aspect to this...but to me personally if he ends up being one of the 5 charged then framing it as a mental health leave was not a good move by the organization.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 11:26 AM   #217
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

If he is charged, which it seems like a real possibility, then I want the Flames to immediately terminate his contract and donate the balance of his salary this year to a women's charity in Calgary. Then I'd like them to explain why they needed criminal charges before they felt he should at the very least be away from the team (even with salary during the investigation).

Worst case scenario he sues them and is awarded his remaining salary as damages and they made an extra donation to a local women's charity.

As for the solitary person victim blaming in this thread, I hope you don't have daughters that are attacked and you tell them they are partially responsible for someone else being a POS.

Last edited by Infinit47; 01-24-2024 at 11:44 AM.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 11:26 AM   #218
EN FUEGO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
I'm not blaming her, simply pointing out there is inherent risk in meeting a stranger at a bar and going up to their hotel room.
Yes, you continue to point out the "risks this woman took", and it continues to reflect very poorly on your character.

EN FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EN FUEGO For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 11:26 AM   #219
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty sure everyone has thought about this. Don't think a single soul sympathises with the players in this situation. It's a reprehensible act that will lead to all kinds of consequences, including jail time.

Not quite sure what you're drilling at.
The ones who knew...and stayed silent. Or didn't act to stop it.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:27 AM   #220
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not blaming her, simply pointing out there is inherent risk in meeting a stranger at a bar and going up to their hotel room. Of course, there's inherent risk in a lot of activities and the consequences are rarely this bad. The consequences of the decisions on that night are horrific.

For example, I used to buy things off ebay and suggested the drop off be done at a public place in broad daylight. That seemed inherently less risky than meeting at a known place where drugs were dealt at 3am.
1. You're a buffoon.

2. Were they "strangers"? IIRC there is reason to believe the ringleader and victim knew each other for some time. I cringe to anticipate your next embarrassing rebuttal.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post: