Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #1021
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Well...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_trash
So there you go.

But something like this is hypocritically racist:
Let's play a game: pick an identifiable group, a minority subset of that group that exhibits bad behavior, and the corresponding racial slur for the first group, and fill in the blanks. Yes, he said 'trash', but it should be patently obvious that it was used as short-hand for 'white trash'.

"Jesus Christ, Cliff, no one is referring to all poor [identifiable group] as [racial slur]. We're referring to the ones who [insert negative behaviors exhibited by a minority of that group] as [racial slur]."

For any identifiable race group that is not Caucasian, you'd be banned for posting it, and if said in a larger, more public space, your words would very likely have severe ramifications.
It would be because I'm Caucasian saying it against another race. There's obviously some historical and social context that needs to be considered there. It's pretty common for other races and ethnicities to have their own terms for people with their groups that exhibit certain characteristics or behaviours (i.e. "hoodrat," "cholo," etc.).

Quote:
I can't believe we have to tell people who consider themselves progressive to stop being racist. Neo-Nazis and white supremacist groups are very, very sh*tty. There is no debate there. But it is nonsensical -- when trying to combat racists -- to be racist yourself.
This would only be true if Nazism and white supremacy were beliefs held by other races and I was only associating them with white people. They are white ideologies. That doesn't mean all white people are Nazis and white supremacists, but it does mean that an overwhelming majority of Nazis and white supremacists are white (the Clayton Bigsbys of the world notwithstanding). What exactly is racist about that?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #1022
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
[his usual nonsense to avoid the point of the matter]
"White trash" is a racial slur. It is not synonymous with neo-Nazi / white supremacist types, and we should stop using it to refer to neo-Nazis / white supremacists.

I really can't see what's difficult about this.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #1023
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"White trash" is a racial slur. It is not synonymous with neo-Nazi / white supremacist types, and we should stop using it to refer to neo-Nazis / white supremacists.

I'm just not understanding why it's considered a racial slur. It lacks the common thread of other racial slurs, which generally attacks physical features or other aspect of a person's race that they're born with and unable to change. Honky or cracker? Sure I can agree those are racial slurs because they're solely attacking someone based on their whiteness. White trash doesn't do that.

I guess it's also weird for me because I grew up white trash by your definition but definitely didn't feel like white trash because I lacked my dad's bigotry, who I do consider to be trash.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #1024
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'm just not understanding why it's considered a racial slur. It lacks the common thread of other racial slurs, which generally attacks physical features or other aspect of a person's race that they're born with and unable to change. Honky or cracker? Sure I can agree those are racial slurs because they're solely attacking someone based on their whiteness. White trash doesn't do that.

I guess it's also weird for me because I grew up white trash by your definition but definitely didn't feel like white trash because I lacked my dad's bigotry, who I do consider to be trash.
"white" doesn't refer to someones skin color?

Color me confused.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #1025
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

but if black guys can call each other the "n" word, shouldn't white people be able to call other white people trash?

I though that was one of the rules. if you're a part of said racial or religious group, you can use the slurs and say the jokes.

if that's not the case, then almost everyone is racist, right down to my Scottish neighbor who talks about how cheap he is.
I'll have to remind him that he's using a slur. or an example ein media. you must think Jon Stewart is a racist considering all the jew jokes he made over the years.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #1026
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
"white" doesn't refer to someones skin color?

Color me confused.
Obviously it does but it's not the focal point of the "slur." Or maybe that's just my interpretation. When someone says "white trash" my brain doesn't think "white person," it thinks "racist/bigoted moron." "Redneck" or "trailer trash" is more where we're getting into things like income, class, etc., but maybe those are interchangeable for some people.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #1027
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reminder that trailer trash is a better slur than white trash anyway, and leaves enough ambiguity that it can't be considered racist (even though it's clearly directed at white people).
Old 03-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #1028
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Reminder that trailer trash is a better slur than white trash anyway, and leaves enough ambiguity that it can't be considered racist (even though it's clearly directed at white people).
No more using Eurotrash to describe soccer and techno-loving, tracksuit-wearing dickheads either.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #1029
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

It’s weird seeing so many people who use words like “SJW” in earnest also complain about how you can’t say “white trash” because it’s racist.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:25 PM   #1030
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

this thread funkin blow

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2018, 05:27 PM   #1031
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
this thread funkin blow
that’s racist

I think.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #1032
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It’s weird seeing so many people who use words like “SJW” in earnest also complain about how you can’t say “white trash” because it’s racist.
I don’t care if someone uses white trash, but it obviously has a racial connotation. So if you’re sensitive to such things, seems like it would fit right in with lots of other terms that are potentially offensive.

But SJW? Isn’t that specifically describing a persons behaviours or actions? While it may be offensive, it certainly isn’t bigoted or racist. Unless we just are out to stop any descriptor that might be offensive.

But that is another issue vs racist words and phrases, and how much changing words actually stops or is a symptom of racist behaviour. Often caused by SJW’s, I suppose.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:34 PM   #1033
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I put up with years of 'Do I make you horny?' in a crappy version of Mike Myers equally crappy mock English without complaining, I tolerate the jokes about our teeth puddings or drunken fat hooligans with good grace (mostly because they are true).

You don't want to be the butt of white trash jokes then move out of your trailer and stop dating your cousin.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #1034
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
But SJW? Isn’t that specifically describing a persons behaviours or actions? While it may be offensive, it certainly isn’t bigoted or racist. Unless we just are out to stop any descriptor that might be offensive.
My point was that the same people who go around bitching that everyone gets so “offended” these days, or complaining when people call something out as racist, or sexist, or homophobia, or whatever, as being some SJW thing are some of the same ones now complaining about white trash.

It’s just a big laugh to watch.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:17 PM   #1035
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

No you see, they're turning the tables on SJWs because the regressive left actually are the real intolerant hyprocrites ipso facto their bad-faith false moral outrage about white trash exposes you for what you really are. Checkmate libs, go find a safespace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2018, 11:38 PM   #1036
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
My point was that the same people who go around bitching that everyone gets so “offended” these days, or complaining when people call something out as racist, or sexist, or homophobia, or whatever, as being some SJW thing are some of the same ones now complaining about white trash.
You know, it's possible to dislike SJW's and racial slurs. I'd say 80 per of people dislike both.

But the next time someone on this forum says n*gger, k*ke, or raghead, and then turns around and calls someone out for saying white trash, you have my blessing to call him a hypocrite.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:52 AM   #1037
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neo-Nazis and fascists are not particularly poor or even working class. It's one of those myths that the middle-class and upper classes likes to comfort themselves with. "It's not us, it's those people".

If racism, homophobia and misogyny were particularly lower class problem, they wouldn't be that much of a problem, as power in the society lies mostly elsewhere.

Last edited by Itse; 03-17-2018 at 04:56 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #1038
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
If racism, homophobia and misogyny were particularly lower class problem, they wouldn't be that much of a problem, as power in the society lies mostly elsewhere.
You might want to look up the stats on that. The article I linked to on attitudes towards interracial marriage, for example, found acceptance of interracial marriage increases with education. Age is an even stronger predictor of attitudes on social issues. There's a reason we live in dramatically more liberal times, socially, than even 30 years ago.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #1039
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
You might want to look up the stats on that. The article I linked to on attitudes towards interracial marriage, for example, found acceptance of interracial marriage increases with education. Age is an even stronger predictor of attitudes on social issues. There's a reason we live in dramatically more liberal times, socially, than even 30 years ago.
I would suggest you think about those numbers and not just look at them. Sure there's a correlation, but it's not nearly big enough to claim that "alt.right" is mostly lower class whites.

Plus pretending to be something you're not also increases with education.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:00 AM   #1040
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
You know, it's possible to dislike SJW's and racial slurs. I'd say 80 per of people dislike both.

But the next time someone on this forum says n*gger, k*ke, or raghead, and then turns around and calls someone out for saying white trash, you have my blessing to call him a hypocrite.
Disliking both isn’t hypocritical, but that’s not what I said, I said the people who actually refer to pointing out racism or misogyny or whatever as an “SJW” thing.

The only people who use SJW in earnest are garbage people that self-pleasure to the Rebel. The same type are the ones who complain about everyone get offended in reference to actually justifiably offensive things. And hey, while we’re at it, the same type of people are the ones who seriously use the word “snowflake.” They’re the last people who get to talk about white-focused racism and not get laughed out of the room.

Hypocritcs Cliff. Hypocritcs hiding deep insecurities.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 03-17-2018 at 10:06 AM.