Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #61
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel dirty posting a Man U chant but here's another idea. Start with this chant, change "We love United" to "we love you Backlund".

WE LOVE YOU BACKLUND. WE DO.
WE LOVE YOU BACKLUND. WE DO!
OHHH BACKLUND WE LOVE YOU!

Easy stuff.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #62
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Man, I wish every fan was like you.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #63
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I hate chants, they are so separate from what's actually happening in the game. They are fantastic if you don't care about the outcome like going to a European soccer game where the crowd is part of the entertainment but when there is an actual game going on the chants or god forbid the wave is a distraction.

What I want is natural crowd noise from tension and excitement. The ohhhhh when a shot misses the post, the boos and jeers of missed calls, the reaction to big hits. Natural real reaction to what you are seeing. That is what makes an entertaining crowd. It's not chanting fight songs while the play is on.
Totally. I always think that when I watch European soccer. The crowd sounds cool, but are they even watching, or are they just there to drink, sing and get in fights? I feel like it's pretty hard to simultaneously sing a full song and be locked into game play.

Going to Flames/Kings on March 29 which will be full playoff mode, and we'll be bringing the noise for sure. In fact I'm actually a little worried we're gonna get booted cuz I'm going with my super extroverted, extra boozy friend who can be confrontational at times. I'm almost positive he'd get us beat up if we ever caught a game in a rival barn. But in familiar confines it'll be good.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #64
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I feel dirty posting a Man U chant but here's another idea. Start with this chant, change "We love United" to "we love you Backlund".

WE LOVE YOU BACKLUND. WE DO!
OHHH BACKLUND WE LOVE YOU!

Easy stuff.

This forum needs a downvote button. If Manchester United fans did it then no one else should want any part of it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #65
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Im not loud the entire game because I'm too busy concentrating on the game as an interested and knowledgable fan. Having actually played, refereed and coached the sport, i genuinely go to the dome to watch the game (which is significantly better than watching it at home). Outside of Montreal and stanley cup favorites, I actually think the louder stadiums (in the regular season) tend to be in cities where the game is appreciated less; ie where the fans have a lower depth of understanding because they havent grown up with the sport.

Its actually iritating sitting beside obnoxious fans who are (1) loud (2) have no idea what they are talking about. At the detroit game, the "fans" behind me, yelled "nice" everytime the flames took a shot, entered the detroit zone, or elliott made a save. They also tried to get a "go flames go" chant started every 5 minutes. It was awful.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:12 AM   #66
Jojado
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Just end up chatting with the person I'm with at the game. I'll go "ohhhh" if there's a missed scoring chance or a big hit. Stand and clap for goal.

Lose voice during the playoffs.

I know people keep mentioning European football... try watching MMA / UFC in Brazil. Everyone - doesn't matter if it's upper-management, VPs, or regular Joes - chants UH VAI MORRER (yer gunna die) or OLÉ OLÁ SENNAAAA (homage to the late racecar driver Ayrton Senna). It is beautiful.
Jojado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:24 AM   #67
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Im not loud the entire game because I'm too busy concentrating on the game as an interested and knowledgable fan. Having actually played, refereed and coached the sport, i genuinely go to the dome to watch the game (which is significantly better than watching it at home). Outside of Montreal and stanley cup favorites, I actually think the louder stadiums (in the regular season) tend to be in cities where the game is appreciated less; ie where the fans have a lower depth of understanding because they havent grown up with the sport.

Its actually iritating sitting beside obnoxious fans who are (1) loud (2) have no idea what they are talking about. At the detroit game, the "fans" behind me, yelled "nice" everytime the flames took a shot, entered the detroit zone, or elliott made a save. They also tried to get a "go flames go" chant started every 5 minutes. It was awful.

All they were doing was cheering good plays from the Flames and chanting Go Flames Go? They seem like great fans to me.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:33 AM   #68
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipperFaNaTic View Post
This is a rallying cry for us Flames Fans to show the team and the coaching staff that we are right behind them every step of the way with this incredible turn around!

Let's get this playoff bandwagon train going and get the saddledome rocking!

Do you remember when we were embarrassed by the Oilers 7-3 back in January? Do you remember us getting blown out in Toronto (4-0) and Montreal (5-1) right after? We were second last in the division in front of Phoenix.

That was definitely the low point of the season. Some of CP wanted Hartley back, some questioned whether Monahan and Gaudreau were grossly overrated, some wondered what Giordano would get us on the trade market, some wanted us to tank.

The Flames could've given mailed it in and wait for next season. But they refused. Since then, the Flames have went 11-2-1, and are now in the driver's seat for the playoffs.

So, lets show the boys that we are right behind them!
What percentage of the fans that go to the games read hockey message boards?

I'd say less than 10%. The land of the hockey message board is reserved for the very extreme hockey fan. So if you want to get the message out there, something like Facebook would probably be a better forum.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:21 AM   #69
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's my suggestion to everyone looking for that elusive chant to catch on. Move to Europe. Sadly, it ain't a North American thing.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:57 AM   #70
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I disagree that loud fans are not engaged with the game or knowledgeable. For example, 2014-15 during the regular season anytime Gaudreau touched the puck the crowd would buzz. During the playoffs any time Ferland was about to lay a hit there would be an ooooh followed by a yeah once the hit was made.

Sporting events are one of the only places where a person is allowed to be as loud as they want. It is a venue for people to express themselves about something that they love.

The bottom line is people go to these games to have fun. If they are doing that then good. If you go to a sports game and are mad that people are cheering, you may as well get mad at the sun for setting.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 03-06-2017 at 09:01 AM.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:00 AM   #71
jaydaybay
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It would be great for the dome to be louder. Feel as though a lot of the residual/reactionary crowd noise (big saves, hits, close shots) gets lost in the wierd design of the dome which kills a lot of noise. Even starting chants is harder because of it. So cavernous.

I feel its one of those things where the louder it is the louder it gets. The building layout itself sure doesnt help the atmosphere. Add to that the ppl that go with the attitude of 'ill cheer if i am entertained, not to support the team.' It seems to vary game to game and obviously playoffs is a different story.

The dome will likely be loud on thursday, sadly not in the way we are hoping...
jaydaybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #72
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The fans will be great in the playoffs. Nothing to worry about there.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:07 AM   #73
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like loud fans. I dislike artificial noise-making or cheers that are more about "look at me being a fan" than "look at the game". Like the wave.

That said, I wouldn't mind the whole crowd singing a goal song. Or a player song (like Johnny B Good) on cue.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #74
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
What percentage of the fans that go to the games read hockey message boards?

I'd say less than 10%. The land of the hockey message board is reserved for the very extreme hockey fan. So if you want to get the message out there, something like Facebook would probably be a better forum.
If we could manage to get 10% of the dome's population on board, that might be enough of a tipping point to cascade around the rink.

However, I think the population of those who read reddit and CP plus their companions would be more than 10% during the playoffs.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #75
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Basically, don't expect too much from sports fans in this city unless it's a REALLY special moment/time. We've got 0 and 10 on our sports fandom, white collar to a tee. Most Calgarian's relationship with sports/music/entertainment is "I pay my hard earned money to go and relax while being entertained, it's not up to me to be part of an atmosphere."
Yeah, it's not just a Flames or a sports thing. Calgary entertainment audiences are just really passive. In Hard Core Logo, the Calgary audience is described by the band as bovine and placid. I can't count the number of times when a band has invited a Calgary audience to get up off off their feet and dance of show some emotion, and when a smattering of people get up they're shushed and told to sit down by the people behind them.

People in this city treat live entertainment events like they're watching them on TV in the comfort of their home. And yes, it probably has something to do with being an affluent and white-collar town, and the reserve and self-consciousness that goes with it. For all the "wild west" cliches, this is in reality a very nerdy city.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #76
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The fans will be great in the playoffs. Nothing to worry about there.
Exactly..… playoffs are a completely different atmosphere. For both the players and the fans.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #77
Neeper
Official CP Photographer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
The Best thing CP ever did to influence the crowd were the "who to boo" threads.

This is probably Circa 2002-2003, but it was just awesome. One player every game nominated to be booed every time they touch the puck. Fans and the player often having no clue as to what the heck was going on. Crowd got into it, amazing.

Not sure why it ended, but that was some kind of good message board work.
If we play the Oilers in the first round we should start a "Lucic's Ugly" chant!
Neeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neeper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #78
Neeper
Official CP Photographer

Exp:

How about a bunch of us getting one of these?

https://www.amazon.ca/Primos-918-Moo...rds=moose+call
Neeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Neeper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #79
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would be freaking awesome!
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #80
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should throw road-flares on the ice too.

They even come in Red!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote