Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #241
Simanium
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I'm a lawyer and don't really like it anymore. I used to, but now I'm a bit jaded by the fact that there's so many #######s in it and so much B.S. I've certainly lost any passion I had for it.

I'm actually jealous of my pal who works as a heavy duty equipment mechanic. Gets to be outside, B.S around with the boys, not always having to worrying about stupid complaints. I'm seriously considering going into the field (I'm in my early 30s with no kids, no debts and some money saved up)

How about everyone else?
I'm also a lawyer 6 years out now. Now and again I meet people looking for advice because they want to apply to law school and I hardly ever recommend that they proceed with applying. Most people don't realize that rate of job dissatisfaction (and consequent mental illness) in the profession is absurdly high. Many people feel trapped because they have massive student loans when they graduate and the only way they can pay them back is by taking a job they absolutely hate. There was a recent CBA newsletter that stated 30% of lawyers leave the profession of law within the first 5 years of practice. The problem is nobody tells students about the this dark side of the profession before they apply to law school.
Simanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #242
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #243
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simanium View Post
There was a recent CBA newsletter that stated 30% of lawyers leave the profession of law within the first 5 years of practice. The problem is nobody tells students about the this dark side of the profession before they apply to law school.
I'd guess three-quarters (or more) of students in every field have only the foggiest idea of what the job they're training for will entail in practice. It really is a bizarre system.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2015, 01:17 PM   #244
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today I hate my job more than most days. I work for a municipality and I'm working on a couple of grants and other projects and now I'm being bombarded with people complaining about something that is 100% out of the townships control. We live in Northwestern Ontario in a rural community and there are a lot of bears in the area. One loudmouth in town is complaining that a bear got into his garbage and made a mess. He's going a little overboard with things and it's actually causing an issue at the municipal office. We life in an area where there has always been bears, deal with it. He left his garbage outside where a bear could get to it and the bear did in fact get to it, but that's someone else's fault. He wants the township to pay to have bears trapped and relocated, the Ministry of Natural Resources stopped going this because the found it ineffective because the bears that were tagged and relocated ended up coming right back. He's saying the town needs to have something done about this issue. Well the town has no money so the options are he pays for it directly or we raise taxes in the township to come up with the money to do it. He wants the town to get the media involved...there are countless bear news stories in the regional papers and news outlets.

He's complaining because it happened to him but he didn't care when it happened to anyone else. I think he should sit down in a closed area with one of the bears to discuss the issue, maybe he'll get further into negotiations then we did.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #245
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I hate it. Stay in school kids or be doomed to be a warehouse bit## for the rest of your life.
Cflames_12.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #246
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
He wants the township to pay to have bears trapped and relocated
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2015, 03:13 PM   #247
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Today I hate my job more than most days. I work for a municipality and I'm working on a couple of grants and other projects and now I'm being bombarded with people complaining about something that is 100% out of the townships control. We live in Northwestern Ontario in a rural community and there are a lot of bears in the area. One loudmouth in town is complaining that a bear got into his garbage and made a mess. He's going a little overboard with things and it's actually causing an issue at the municipal office. We life in an area where there has always been bears, deal with it. He left his garbage outside where a bear could get to it and the bear did in fact get to it, but that's someone else's fault. He wants the township to pay to have bears trapped and relocated, the Ministry of Natural Resources stopped going this because the found it ineffective because the bears that were tagged and relocated ended up coming right back. He's saying the town needs to have something done about this issue. Well the town has no money so the options are he pays for it directly or we raise taxes in the township to come up with the money to do it. He wants the town to get the media involved...there are countless bear news stories in the regional papers and news outlets.

He's complaining because it happened to him but he didn't care when it happened to anyone else. I think he should sit down in a closed area with one of the bears to discuss the issue, maybe he'll get further into negotiations then we did.
Just tell him to sue the bear for his losses.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #248
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, we should just kill all the bears.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #249
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like my job, but I'm not doing something that I love. I manage a large post office. Working for the PO is very challenging. I enjoy that aspect of it and enjoy helping our customers.

I never could decide what I wanted to do so I ended up here out of necessity. I didn't finish college because I couldn't decide what I wanted to do. Wound up in the post office at age 31 and I've moved up fairly rapidly. So now, I am a manager. That's what I do.

Ideally, I'd love to be a wildlife biologist but they get paid peanuts. So, instead, I spend as much of my free time as possible in the woods. It's never enough to satisfy my need for nature though.

I keep telling my kids to be intentional about deciding what they want to do and not put it off. It's not working so far for them either...but they are young (23 and 20) and without kids or spouses so they have time.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #250
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Well, we should just kill all the bears.
Never fear, a stalwart CP member has already formulated such an extermination plan to be carried out.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #251
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Never fear, a stalwart CP member has already formulated such an extermination plan to be carried out.
Silver?
Old 08-26-2015, 08:33 PM   #252
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Just explain to the loudmouth that he is a Freebear of the Land and that township rules don't apply to him.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #253
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

Man, I'm reading some of the stories here and they're all so different and yet similar. Super interesting snapshot into some professions I was curious about or have never even thought about.

For me personally, I both love and hate my job. I'm a curator at a sports museum. Some of you may know which museum that is.

I had always wanted to be a teacher as a kid, but realized my second year in university I would kill myself in the classroom. I dropped the teaching dream at that point and kinda muddled through finishing my history degree and considering what I could do with it. After that, I started volunteering at a museum and found a love for museum work. Like the behind the scenes stuff working in collections and curating exhibits. I think it's been the best decision for me as I get to teach, but in a vastly different setting. When I do a behind the scenes tour such as DO YYC, or I walk through the galleries randomly holding an artefact and talking to people about it, I absolutely love my job. There are other times too, when you curate an exhibit and on opening night you stand in that exhibit and people come up to you and tell you how much it means to them to see their story shared, or how this exhibit means so much to them it is just incomparable. I literally work to inspire other people and it's immensely inspiring. And I am myself surrounded by inspiring stories and I just can't help but be... inspired.

But then there are other times. As I work in not for profit you get stretched so thin and sometimes when you finish an exhibit and they're not happy, it's just such a downer. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. I also work my butt off often times with other people not having a clue what goes into curating and installing an exhibit. A lot of times, people just think all you do is give tours and they have no idea the work it takes literally to get artefacts, track artefacts, do the research, write the text, prepare mounts, and do the the install. It can be brutally thankless to work behind the scenes. Even my own coworkers don't have much of an idea of how the curatorial department works and just expects things to be done. There was an exhibit we curated, produced, and installed within 3 months. It normally takes 6+ months for an exhibit of that size to go up but we literally pulled it out of our butt holes. And it was just expected that it would be done with little to no notice.

In the grand scheme of things though, I don't want my work to be my legacy. I enjoy what I do. I work hard when I'm there and if I need to, I work late. But it's the stuff I do outside of work that I want to be my legacy. I volunteer as a youth leader in my off time and it is immensely fulfilling. That is what I want my legacy to be. That I made a difference in their lives. Museums close down, exhibits get changed out, curatorial procedures change. But having a teenager remember you as having made a difference in their life is the legacy I strive for. I think sometimes your job is just the thing you do to pay the bills so you can work on your legacy elsewhere.

NSFL=Not So Funny Lady. But I will also accept Not Safe For Life and Not Sober For Long.

You know you wanna read about nail polish:

http://polish-holic.blogspot.com/
NSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NSFL For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #254
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bumping this thread after 18 months of dormancy.

Any changes for the folks that posted here?
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #255
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm fine with being a lawyer again now.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #256
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I love my job.

The general public absolutely HATE me, and refuses to actually engage in compromise and conversation, but my job is to convince these fanatical people that there exists two sides to every point, and try my best to see their side as well.

And that's only 50% of my job. The other half is just fun engineering analysis and technical development/research. I have a ton of freedom to make things happen for the better, and ensure things are being done safely and sustainably.
Well, I got reorganized out of this role and into a paper pushing role.

I still enjoy working and the industry, but the love has died a lot from this point.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #257
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a business analyst and the thing I get from a lot of people (after the classic Calgary 'what do you do' question'), is do I like what I do? I guess it sounds distasteful to many. However I'm good at it and things are continually growing with greater need for information. But it isn't a sexy job for sure. It's not like I'm a fireman or ski patrol or anything. Definitely not a job you come home from and tell all kinds of crazy stories
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #258
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I didn't post originally, but I am growing tired of my role. I am still trying to determine if I am unhappy with the work itself or just with this company. I am a huge nerd and I really like to learn new things and I don't feel like I am learning anything here anymore. So, my job is mostly just the same old routine now. I am thinking I am going to start dusting off the old resume and looking for a change. I feel sad and guilty over it though, because I like the company and the people. When I first came here, I was leaving a job that was just soul crushing in its crappiness. I suppose I feel some loyalty to them for that.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #259
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sometimes it makes me want to jump off of the building, but its one story tall so the painfully broken ankle would be bad.

The change in economy has made my job one big stress factory.

Plus I'm getting older and probably hitting my mid life crisis and I'd love to find something that I enjoy.

I just don't know what that is yet.

Don't get me wrong, I really like working with my coworkers and bosses, and I really want to make things work.

But there are days . . . .

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #260
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't want to sound like a totally dork but I absolutely love my work. It has its days where it is challenging but luckily in university I was able to find a passion that I have been able to follow. I came close to pursuing a few options, one of which was law, before stumbling into my current career. For those who are struggling if your life situation allows it I can honestly say taking far less pay for a job you thoroughly enjoy is worth every second of it.
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote