Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #221
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Old 03-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #222
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure of the specifics for the insurance, I'm pretty sure you have to buy coverage for each bike, so for some it might be worth it, for others not so much.

You'd have to look into what works best for you, I just thought I'd throw out that option.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #223
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
I'm not sure of the specifics for the insurance, I'm pretty sure you have to buy coverage for each bike, so for some it might be worth it, for others not so much.

You'd have to look into what works best for you, I just thought I'd throw out that option.
Depends on your insurance company. I went with TDMM because my bikes are covered. Wawanesa is another company that includes bike coverage I believe. You have to shop around and see what works for you. I have a lot of bikes, so for me, switching insurance companies worked best.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #224
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Depends on your insurance company. I went with TDMM because my bikes are covered. Wawanesa is another company that includes bike coverage I believe. You have to shop around and see what works for you. I have a lot of bikes, so for me, switching insurance companies worked best.
TDMM only covers $2G for bikes, with a $500 deductible.

I looked at upping my coverage to cover more of my bike and it was insane. If I make it 2 years without it getting stolen I'm better off not to add coverage.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #225
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
TDMM only covers $2G for bikes, with a $500 deductible.

I looked at upping my coverage to cover more of my bike and it was insane. If I make it 2 years without it getting stolen I'm better off not to add coverage.
Good to know. When I switched to them 4 years ago, they covered bikes. Now I have to shop around again.
A buddy who works for specialized has about 2 dozen bikes in his garage. I should ask him what he does for coverage.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #226
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Good to know. When I switched to them 4 years ago, they covered bikes. Now I have to shop around again.
A buddy who works for specialized has about 2 dozen bikes in his garage. I should ask him what he does for coverage.
I seem to remember if you have TDMM "Platinum" or something that cost a butt load the bike coverage was quite a bit higher. On their regularly priced policy $2G.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #227
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Between the two of us we have seven bikes, including two new Cervelos. I know my home insurance covers up to $1,000 per bike but the four road bikes have a replacement cost of between $1,700 and $3,300 each, plus tax. I should look more into this as well. Good topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 03-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #228
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm looking to buy a bike sometime in the next month or two. I want something to commute to work (downtown) and something I can ride on the paths on the weekends. I have no idea what type I should be getting.

My budget is around $500.

Any tips/suggestions?

What is everyone's favourite bike shop?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #229
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
I'm looking to buy a bike sometime in the next month or two. I want something to commute to work (downtown) and something I can ride on the paths on the weekends. I have no idea what type I should be getting.

Any tips/suggestions?

I would probably go with a fairly low end hard tail. There are enough poplar roots and rough spots on the pathways that it's nice to have a little suspension.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #230
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Any tips/suggestions?

KHS Urban X is what I use. I have a picture of it in post 194. $450 retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 03-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #231
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:

Any tips/suggestions?

I love Ridleys for the high end stuff, but Lifesport just up the street, seems to specialize in the type of thing your looking for. They have a ton of commuters there. Plus they carry neat lesser known brands. I bought my Devinci Oslo there that I use as my workhorse run around.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #232
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #233
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

^^^

I could get into that.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #234
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cycling in California is great. Back when I was a single guy, I would fly to San Diego on Christmas Day and join a 6 day bike tour that averaged 100 km a day. It was awesome. I'll always remember biking along the beach on the last day, listening to Christmas carols.

Here is the link, if anyone is interested:
http://sandiegohostels.org/christmas-bike-ride.php

It is not a race, but a bike tour, but a fairly challenging one - particularly the first day where your elevation gain is huge and into a stiff wind (at least both times I did it). It wouldn't be so difficult if I could have trained properly for it which is nearly impossible up here in the winter. An hour on a bike in a gym helps, but does not translate to a big road ride.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #235
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

DC has Capital Bikeshare (http://capitalbikeshare.com/stations) which is what I use for getting to an from work (dock right at work, dock a block away from my apartment). The bikes are heavy and slow, but not having to worry about your bike being stolen or any of the maintenance is awesome.

I hadn't had a bike in about a decade until this year, so I didn't get anything too fancy or a straight road bike, instead I got the sport/ fitness hybrid Marin. I like it. It's possible to push it up to and beyond 20mph, which is plenty fast enough for me.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #236
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

^^^

Love the fitness bikes. I put 4000 kms on my Devinci last year bombing to and from work, and around town running errands. I picked up a set of Mavic Aksiums and 700 X 23 tires on it near the end of the season, and I got my average speed up 3 KPH. Not the lightest wheels, but almost a pound lighter than what come with the bike when you factor in tires. And cheap. Picked em up for $150 from Jensonusa, same wheelset here is $350.

The V-brakes leave something to be desired, but other than that, I absolute love the thing.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #237
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hey all - Bit of a newb trainer question here. I bought a Tacx trainer off of a guy on Kijiji similiar to this one:

Upon trying to set it up with my bike, I noticed this:

Which doesn't work with the quick-release for the wheel:

I've done some searching and see that the newer trainers now have a slot in the clamp to allow for the wheel's quick release. I've also done a bit of a search to see if I can replace the clamp with a newer one, but haven't had any luck yet. Has anyone done this and have any suggestions/info?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #238
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can either replace the clamp or the skewer on your wheel.
Might be easier to buy a skewer that will work.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #239
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Picked myself up a cannondale synapse 5-c today from bow cycle, I gotta say had awesome service.

Anyone on CP doing the enbridge ride this year?
Old 03-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #240
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Hey all - Bit of a newb trainer question here. I bought a Tacx trainer off of a guy on Kijiji similiar to this one:

Upon trying to set it up with my bike, I noticed this:

Which doesn't work with the quick-release for the wheel:

I've done some searching and see that the newer trainers now have a slot in the clamp to allow for the wheel's quick release. I've also done a bit of a search to see if I can replace the clamp with a newer one, but haven't had any luck yet. Has anyone done this and have any suggestions/info?
Here's one.

http://www.amazon.com/CycleOps-Train.../dp/B004WW4A1M
Closed Thread